British Speedway Forum
kivkem1

Speedway In Music Video

Whilst the video isn't by the group themselves a very speedway specific song that received a fair bit of radio air play was 'Speedway' by the Kursaal Flyers'

Some of the lyrics.. ..

My bike is getting rusty now the one my fans admire
The track is getting dusty and my agent just got fired
And i don't think i can make it cos i'm feeling kind of tired
I'm feeling pretty shaky and my hands are getting sore
And i feel like i'm nearly eighty though i'm only twenty-four
And i don't want to ride the speedway any more

Where's my little siren now she ain't coming back
We was going to marry but one of us just had to crack
That's another reason i'm not out there on that track

Last night i dreamed i was riding for the Aces
I hit the bend i looked up i saw their faces
Then i saw my siren's face through the dusty screen
I hit the fence a wheel came loose...(???)...off my machine

Riders were all flashing past i couldn't hear a sound
I was lying on the dusty track a crowd had gathered round
The doctors said there ain't no hope the agony just grew
Then i saw my little siren's face i knew that i'd pull through

Rerun videos in the early 90's did "crashes and cock ups" with popular music to video clips..... my personal favourite was/is " I can't stand up for falling down" (Ian Dury)???

Rerun videos in the early 90's did "crashes and cock ups" with popular music to video clips..... my personal favourite was/is " I can't stand up for falling down" (Ian Dury)???

Elvis Costello

I do hope they paid the royalties for the music. It's easy to put music in videos, not always so easy to pay for it.

• Like 1

Awesome video 'you me at six' any idea who thevriders actually were?

Tyson Nelson, Luke Bowen, Marc Owen & Chris Mills

• Like 1

Good stuff. Hope no-one came to grief in the wet. What track, anyone?

The totally fantastic Rye House

The totally fantastic Rye House

Many thanks. I've attended a fair few meetings there down the years (including some in my long-gone student days, the late seventies) but never actually seen one under lights and didn't recognise it.

Many thanks. I've attended a fair few meetings there down the years (including some in my long-gone student days, the late seventies) but never actually seen one under lights and didn't recognise it.

Easy mistake to make. Anymore than 7 people watching and nobody would've guessed it was Hoddesdon. JOKE before you get your knickers twisted Rye fans.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the awesome 440 yard original Rye Houe track that used to be towards the left as you came in past the pub. It also had as I recall a corrugated iron safety fence. On a warm day the cinder surface used to dry quickly produced great clouds of dust and cinders. My busiest time for visits there were from around 1954 to 1957.

It used to be a good journey - train from 'sarf' London to London Bridge, bus to Liverpool Street Station, then train to the Hoddesdon station virtually next door to the track.

It was all such a long time ago but I think it was a happier sport in those days. There were some wonderful supporters around. It was all so friendly - we used to have arguments about things but accepted different points of view, there was none of the bickering and sniping that sadly seems to pervade the sport these days.

But I have no idea what the music taste was at that time - probably the early days of rock legend Bill Haley And The Comets but my favourite was Bermondsey lad Wee Willie Harris. The latter was a one-time New Cross fan but I don't if Haley ever saw the sport in the USA.

Nor have I. My last Rye House visit was as recent as 1963. It was Sunday afternoon racing then.

Edited by Guest