British Speedway Forum
kivkem1

Speedway In Music Video

Does anyone remember the awesome 440 yard original Rye Houe track that used to be towards the left as you came in past the pub. It also had as I recall a corrugated iron safety fence. On a warm day the cinder surface used to dry quickly produced great clouds of dust and cinders. My busiest time for visits there were from around 1954 to 1957.

It used to be a good journey - train from 'sarf' London to London Bridge, bus to Liverpool Street Station, then train to the Hoddesdon station virtually next door to the track.

It was all such a long time ago but I think it was a happier sport in those days. There were some wonderful supporters around. It was all so friendly - we used to have arguments about things but accepted different points of view, there was none of the bickering and sniping that sadly seems to pervade the sport these days.

But I have no idea what the music taste was at that time - probably the early days of rock legend Bill Haley And The Comets but my favourite was Bermondsey lad Wee Willie Harris. The latter was a one-time New Cross fan but I don't if Haley ever saw the sport in the USA.

Nor have I. My last Rye House visit was as recent as 1963. It was Sunday afternoon racing then.

Was that getting a Bath when you got home. ;)

Was that getting a Bath when you got home. ;)

They were indeed the days when the dust from the track used to cover supporters. It was indeed a hot bath to wash away the dust as soon as one got home from a Rye House meeting in those days. But nobody minded because it was always a memorable occasion.

Why TWK - have you hear about those old and dusty Rye House speedway days? For all that, great times. Those in control of the place in the 1950s were George Kay and his assistant Fred Peachey - two wonderful characters and enthusiasts.

Edited by Guest

Does anyone remember the awesome 440 yard original Rye Houe track that used to be towards the left as you came in past the pub. It also had as I recall a corrugated iron safety fence. On a warm day the cinder surface used to dry quickly produced great clouds of dust and cinders. My busiest time for visits there were from around 1954 to 1957.

It used to be a good journey - train from 'sarf' London to London Bridge, bus to Liverpool Street Station, then train to the Hoddesdon station virtually next door to the track.

It was all such a long time ago but I think it was a happier sport in those days. There were some wonderful supporters around. It was all so friendly - we used to have arguments about things but accepted different points of view, there was none of the bickering and sniping that sadly seems to pervade the sport these days.

But I have no idea what the music taste was at that time - probably the early days of rock legend Bill Haley And The Comets but my favourite was Bermondsey lad Wee Willie Harris. The latter was a one-time New Cross fan but I don't if Haley ever saw the sport in the USA.

If you enter en110eh in google maps you can still see the shape of the old Rye track as it has been covered in tarmac and used as part of the go kart circuit.

Edited by noisy

On a warm day the cinder surface used to dry quickly produced great clouds of dust and cinders.

Good that they've kept that reminder of the old days...

Not my bag but nearly 60,000 views in 6 days.

How did they get access to the BSPA AGM? (42 seconds in) Edited by Noodles