British Speedway Forum
TesarRacing

Speedway Rider Race Numbers

Does anyone know the origin of the rider race numbers eg

Tai Woffinden #108

Chris Holder #23

Greg Hancock #45

Martin Smolinski #84

Are those numbers given to them by a federation or are they just a favourite/lucky number?

Cheers

Does anyone know the origin of the rider race numbers eg

Tai Woffinden #108

Chris Holder #23

Greg Hancock #45

Martin Smolinski #84

Are those numbers given to them by a federation or are they just a favourite/lucky number?

Cheers

Alphabetical?

Moto Cross number for Tai and i think Holder aswell, not sure on Hancock and Smoli!

Its a bit a branding thing, same as the F1 has done this year with every driver having a number like moto gp!

I think they should let riders pick their own numbers which they use in the GP and national leagues. That way riders can be identified by their numbers like 46 Rossi or 93 Marquez.

• Like 1

Greg's # is the one he used in the USA. In America riders often keep a # for their entire career or minimally several seasons.

• Like 2

I think several of these relate to date of birth - 108 is 10th August etc.

Edited by JC!

Thanks for the replies - so the numbers are not actually related to speedway directly, then.

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to use their own numbers for the GP series. Helps with branding I guess and makes them a bit more recognisable outside of the sport - maybe?!

Its his given MX number nothing to do with his bday. He answered this on a Q&A on twitter