British Speedway Forum
andy1980

Chris Morton - An Absolute Legend.

Saw Morton at Ellesmere Port....breathtaking....

• Like 1

Very good of Chris to do this, well done.

Have to ask though ....... does your dad read the internet as hewould now know what he is going to uwrap !!

To be honest I'd not thought of that. Luckily he hadn't read it. I showed him my post just after giving him the gift and it certainly brought a smile to his face. Think he liked the story as much as the gift. It's going to get pride of place in his front room.

great rider, when speedway was a real spectacle, the british final without 2nd tier riders.....simmo, davis. betts. lee. ashby. Collins, Louis, Davey, boocock, etc......

That is exceptional service and sums why speedway is so special.

He no need to have gone to such lengths but showed what a person he is.

great rider, when speedway was a real spectacle, the british final without 2nd tier riders.....simmo, davis. betts. lee. ashby. Collins, Louis, Davey, boocock, etc......

Was actually looking at a British Final line up from 1973 the other day, i then compared it to this years event....oh dear :(

• Like 2

Speedway is an exceptional sport made up of exceptional people but I do think that he really did go the extra mile (literally) driving way out of his way on a dreary winters evening just to ensure my dad gets his Christmas gift on time. I've now got an excellent gift, signed by a top bloke and great story to tell which really does sum up the spirit of Christmas. Thank you Chris.
Merry Christmas

Well said Andy. I think we tend to forget this fact when we are slagging off individuals and the sport in general. We keep being told it is a minority sport but one benefit to this is it's personal touch.

Chris Morton comes from the era when riders where household names, they stayed with their clubs for many seasons, and appreciated and understood the supporters, unlike a lot of today's "rent-a-rider".

• Like 2

Was actually looking at a British Final line up from 1973 the other day, i then compared it to this years event....oh dear :(

To be fair though, it wasn't just British riders then though was it?

To be fair though, it wasn't just British riders then though was it?

Come on... 1973 BF may have contained some Aussies etc, but the line-ups of mid-seventies BF portrays how speedway was in the country then, riders needing a top four or five place to qualify when about 12 could have gone through. The BF was a stronger line-up than the actual World Final on occasions, and there were some usually strong riders who didn't actually manage to reach a BF, as the two semis that preceded it were actually really tough.

• Like 2

Come on... 1973 BF may have contained some Aussies etc, but the line-ups of mid-seventies BF portrays how speedway was in the country then, riders needing a top four or five place to qualify when about 12 could have gone through. The BF was a stronger line-up than the actual World Final on occasions, and there were some usually strong riders who didn't actually manage to reach a BF, as the two semis that preceded it were actually really tough.

Totally right,!

It's lucky he never had it sent it by TNT as he would have to have adhered to thier door knocking policy and would probably be lucky if he had it by Easter. You have to read the thread to know what I am waffling on about :)

Seriously though that was a fantastic thing to do by Chris who showed the best side of this sport.

I doubt Alex Ferguson would have done that for a Utd fan.

And yes OK Utd are bigger and richer etc but it was still a truly nice thing to do by someone in Chis position.

A great rider in the day and obviously a really nice bloke. :)

Chris Morton comes from the era when riders where household names, they stayed with their clubs for many seasons, and appreciated and understood the supporters, unlike a lot of today's "rent-a-rider".

Unless of course 'Rider Control' sorted a move for 'em! ;)

loved the "rent a rider" quote..those brit finals were cut throat days, had the excitement of watching winner, then had excitement of the riders desperate to make the cut..every rider had 5 rides to go for glory, todays closed shop stops that..i personally love the gps, but would love the return of the qualifications....did riders go awol before those meetings in them days?