British Speedway Forum
Drop Dead Fred

Favourite Closed Tracks

Old Meadowbank i believe it was a very big pacey track did they have the Nordic final/ British final there in 70 / 71.?

No it shut in '67 to built stadium for Commonweath Games,I. Think you may be thinking of Hampden Park for that one ,could be wrong though.Sheffield also hosted abig round of the Championship but I think that was the late 60's.

I did indeed Tom. I was also an unsuccessful trainee rider there - guided by former Southampton captain (1947) George Bason, Jimmy Gleed, Al Sparrey, Gil Goldfinch and Stan Tebby (Jim's rider-father) and several others.

As a spectator I saw all their Southern Area League matches (except when there was a fixture clash with Eastbourne), then followed the side when they moved into Aldershot.

There was a unique atmosphere about going to California and its memories are carried on each year with a late autumn Reunion event organised by Stu Towner of 'Friends of Speedway'.

When I didn't get a lift to the track I used to travel by train from Waterloo to Wokingham, then walk the couple of miles to the track.

I wish that I could give you more specific details of my fond memories of the old California 'Poppies'.

It's a shame you post so much crap as your knowledge of the sports history would be quite interesting.

• Like 1

Old Meadowbank i believe it was a very big pacey track did they have the Nordic final/ British final there in 70 / 71.?

Nordic / British final was at Hampden in the early seventies , Sidney

Slough

Was the track not closed because of elf and safety issues, the Singh brothers unsuccessfully staged a Bengal Tigers v. Delhi Bellies meeting that was abandoned because of chickens and goats wandering around the track during racing, cows in the pits,riders wearing turbans not helmets, food poisoning from the curry takeaways, illegal immigrants pitching tents on the centre-green, the bikes were 50cc mopeds, and a tiger was let loose on the terraces attacking fans...utter mayhem and chaos.

• Like 3

Nordic / British final was at Hampden in the early seventies , Sidney

Yes right Paulco i believe this was the year Briggo did not qualify for the final in 71 he had done for 17 years on the trot ? Olsen,s year. Edited by sidney

The old perry barr (70/80s)

White city london, loved that place.

hyde road. fantastic

Just a mention for Newport. purpose built stadium for speedway, not grand but nice to visit, 4 sided stadium and always enjoyed my visits, such a bloody shame we lost it because of idiots.

• Like 1

Well - I have searched in vain for a mention of my favourite Track - SUNDERLAND. It really was a good little Track - 312 yards in length. A decent Stadium too, which is still in existence. :t:

I still mourn the passing of it along with:

Hyde Road and Wembley. :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

Hull, Boulevard and Craven Park, for obvious reasons. As mentioned, Craven Park added another page to the 'Ideal Speedway Stadium Handbook' in that after marking out your ideal-shaped track, build seating on home straight at least 60 feet in the air.

Wembley (indoor Arena and Empire Stadium) both for atmosphere rather than the racing, Belle Vue Hyde Road - almost guaranteed good racing and the impression of the venue's massive history, Halifax - usually good racing unless dry 'n' dusty, Bradford - ditto + great pit viewing, Cradley Heath - pork sarnies of course, and Newport Queensway Meadows - good purpose-built venue and at least it was good racing the sunny Sunday I was there....

• Like 1

Love St., Paisley. Purely for sentimental reasons as this is where it all started.

Thought Bradford was awesome - a real spectacle.

At the other end of the scale - Powderhall. A tidy stadium.

Liked Berrington Lough.

Was the temperature there ever above freezing point?

Not a place for purists.

Rather a spit and sawdust, nitty gritty, raw speedway experience. Loved it.

Ah yes Love St. Paisley George, home from home for the mighty Tigers. :rofl::cheers:

We all have our crosses to bear. :(