British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

Speedway Best Pairs

The BSPA has issues with the FIM Europe Best Pairs competition.

The BSPA has issues with the FIM Europe SEC competition, promoted by OneSport

The BSPA will have issues with the OneSport promoted "World Best Pairs" competition - not only is the promoter of the events (OneSport) common but the BSPA and their "issues" are common too.

Presumably any rider taking part in the World Best Pairs event, if missing from an EL or PL meeting can only be replaced by an NL guest, as the BSPA won't allow any "facilities" to cover their absence? Ryan Fisher (USA) Kevin Wolbert (Germany) Kalle Katajisto (Finland) and Jason Doyle (Aus) all in PL action on the March 28th date...

Ryan Fisher is not riding for Peterborough or Coventry on March 28th?

BSI/IMG have rights to any 'World" Pairs competition ...

They should run one then. Or let someone else run one for a small fee. Would be great to see the world pairs back on the calendar, and england/gb would even have a chance at a medal ( 5th favourites for the title?)

This Speedway Best Pairs series, that that the Polish company OneSport is promting this year, is nothing more than an open invitational competiton without any official status.

F.I.M. Europe runs an official European Pairs Championship (Germany are the defending champions of 2013).

F.I.M. may give the green light to a revival of the official World Pairs Championship from 2015, promoted by rights holders IMG/BSI, and alternating bi-annually with the SWC.

The British League will not be affected that much by this Speedway Best Pairs (SBP) series.

How many top riders of the six seeded nations are still riding in the UK anyway? And how many of those few would be required on the set date of a SBP round also to ride in an UK fixture? Not many, if any at all, I guess.

But even if it is the case that dates/fixtures clash, any rider could always be replaced in the SBP by another man of that respective nation, since this series is not an individual, but a pairs/team competiton for nations.

I wonder if the BSPA will once more try to block the British riders from taking part. It would be a shame, for the series will be broadcast live on EUROSPORT, and British Speedway would miss a great opportunity to present themselves.

The six seeded nations are:

Poland,

Russia,

Denmark,

Sweden,

Australia,

Great Britain,

plus one alternating wild card nation for each round (Latvia in round 1, Germany in round 2 and the USA in round 3).

For a team to be called "Great Britain" (as opposed to e.g. "A British XV XI VII IV II") does there not have to be official approval from that country's governing body? Does anyone think that a random British twosome can take part thereby implying that they are representing their country (and thereby their governing body), without approval? Well One Sport seem to think so, but what's the betting that the BSPA show them who's boss?

For a team to be called "Great Britain" (as opposed to e.g. "A British XV XI VII IV II") does there not have to be official approval from that country's governing body? Does anyone think that a random British twosome can take part thereby implying that they are representing their country (and thereby their governing body), without approval? Well One Sport seem to think so, but what's the betting that the BSPA show them who's boss?

A starting permit is needed naturally. But since they gave one for Woffy for the SEC last year, why not for Wuffy and say Barker this year for this and for SEC?

THINK there is a chance of that next year... maybe alternating with SWC

Why on earth alternate? The pairs could be run on one weekend - or have two semis on the friday and a final on the saturday if they are eorried about upsetting the polish leagues. I can't see why u would drop the seemingly successful swc every srcond year.

A starting permit is needed naturally. But since they gave one for Woffy for the SEC last year, why not for Wuffy and say Barker this year for this and for SEC?

You make the mistake of applying common sense and logic to a scenario that involves the BSPA....BIG mistake.

You make the mistake of applying common sense and logic to a scenario that involves the BSPA....BIG mistake.

Not my biggest, not even close. :lol: I'll survive...

Team GB have decided not to participate.

And we wonder why we don't progress.

Heads should roll

Team GB have decided not to participate. And we wonder why we don't progress. Heads should roll

Head should roll indeed.

The question is - whose heads. I doubt whether "Team GB" has any say in this. It seems that it is BSPA, or generally speaking the British Federation who is boycotting anything One Sport try to organize. I wonder therefore whether they have any shares in the BSI/IMG. :lol:

Jan Konikiewicz of the One Sport Company told SportoweFakty.pl

"We received a letter in which BSPA in one sentence - without giving any reason - has given a clear position of not granting permission for the start of the British team in the competition organized by us. We talked this morning to Tai Woffinden, and his comment regarding this situation is not suitable for citation. We are sorry for all British fans, because in this competition the British Team certainly would have a good chance for the most important trophy. BSPA has been aiming (in effect) to extinguish speedway popularity in Great Britain, and does it with admirable consistency.

• Like 3

Head should roll indeed.

The question is - whose heads. I doubt whether "Team GB" has any say in this. It seems that it is BSPA, or generally speaking the British Federation who is boycotting anything One Sport try to organize. I wonder therefore whether they have any shares in the BSI/IMG. :lol:

Jan Konikiewicz of the One Sport Company told SportoweFakty.pl

"We received a letter in which BSPA in one sentence - without giving any reason - has given a clear position of not granting permission for the start of the British team in the competition organized by us. We talked this morning to Tai Woffinden, and his comment regarding this situation is not suitable for citation. We are sorry for all British fans, because in this competition the British Team certainly would have a good chance for the most important trophy. BSPA has been aiming (in effect) to extinguish speedway popularity in Great Britain, and does it with admirable consistency.

Why? As much as I would like to see a British pair, it is a non FIM event and so it's just an invitational set up by a promoter.

If Gollob and Hampel are invited to Elite Riders in March are they likely to accept? Will the promoter then blast the Polish authorities for not sending them?

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1

Team GB have decided not to participate.

I see a door opening for a Finnish pair of Timo Lahti / Kauko Nieminen!

I see a door opening for a Finnish pair of Timo Lahti / Kauko Nieminen!

Is there an "exit" sign on that door? :rofl:

• Like 1

Is there an "exit" sign on that door? :rofl:

Would've been a good joke, but you are talking of "us". :nono:

It's not like were (those2) are really THAT bad, I mean the Swedes were forced out of the SWC as well after last year... :approve:

Yes, I know they ride in it 2014. Thats because they are a host nation.