British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

Speedway Best Pairs

Yes, I know they ride in it 2014. Thats because they are a host nation.

Would've been a good joke, but you are talking of "us". :nono:

It's not like were (those2) are really THAT bad, I mean the Swedes were forced out of the SWC as well after last year... :approve:

Yes, I know they ride in it 2014. Thats because they are a host nation.

No,they are not that bad,but i would expect one of those wildcards to move into the comp.Possibly the USA

Edited by iris123

Team GB have decided not to participate.

Why am I not surprised?

Jan Konikiewicz of the One Sport Company told SportoweFakty.pl

"...BSPA has been aiming (in effect) to extinguish speedway popularity in Great Britain, and does it with admirable consistency."

Says it all doesn't it? He says exactly what everyone on BSF says regularly. The only people who are unaware of that home truth are the BSPA themselves.

The stupid thing is...if Poole or Swindon (etc) wanted to run a "Best Pairs" event to fill a gap in their fixture list, there wouldn't be a problem in riders being allowed to "earn a living" by accepting a booking. But earning a comfortable living on Polish big money, against quality opposition, that's a big no-no. Work it out.

No-one yet knows what the format of the "Elite Riders Championships" will be, but if the BSPA now harbour any ideas of adding to the talent pool, riders contracted to Polish clubs not riding in the UK, you can guess what the outcome might well be...then again, could the Poles really be as small and as petty minded as the BSPA and seek this kind of retaliation?

If Gollob and Hampel are invited to Elite Riders in March are they likely to accept? Will the promoter then blast the Polish authorities for not sending them?

Give them a worldwide audience in millions on Eurosport open channel, and a winner prize of 16000 pounds per round, and you'll see them :)

One thing is not to send the riders, the other one is to ban them!

Give them a worldwide audience in millions on Eurosport open channel, and a winner prize of 16000 pounds per round, and you'll see them :)

One thing is not to send the riders, the other one is to ban them!

Last year one participating country forget to send enough riders and so the worldwide audience of millions were left scratching their heads as to why one country was being represented by riders of different nationalities. Not that anyone knew until about heat 7 when Eurosport decided to start live transmission.
  • Like 2

Last year one participating country forget to send enough riders and so the worldwide audience of millions were left scratching their heads as to why one country was being represented by riders of different nationalities. Not that anyone knew until about heat 7 when Eurosport decided to start live transmission.

And you think Zagar was just around the stadium when they counted the riders on signing? :) LOL

I dont think countries are sending anyone, i believe I'ts an open market, and the promotor calls who ever he wants.

And you think Zagar was just around the stadium when they counted the riders on signing? :) LOL

I dont think countries are sending anyone, i believe I'ts an open market, and the promotor calls who ever he wants.

Exactly, as I said it's an invitational so don't understand why BSPA have to bow to the demands of one sport. It's a non FIM event which will no doubt impact on the British clubs whose riders are taking part.
  • Like 2

Exactly, as I said it's an invitational so don't understand why BSPA have to bow to the demands of one sport. It's a non FIM event which will no doubt impact on the British clubs whose riders are taking part.

A promoter that signs a deal with a rider that allows the rider to miss matches for better paying individuals or pairs meetings is one crap promoter.

As I suspected, to represent the nation, and to be called "Great Britain", the BSPA have to grant approval. They haven't. So no British riders can represent their country in that event, despite at least the first round not conflicting with any EL fixtures. Any foreign rider contracted to a British team can't be stopped though. I doubt if the team that they are riding for will be granted more than an NL guest as a replacement if they have a rider that is caught up in a fixture clash, and no doubt the club or the BSPA may impose a ban on that rider, in the way that Swindon did with Hans Andersen last year when his SEC commitments "took priority".

Does anyone think that isolationism will do British Speedway any good? Do you think that the likes of Tai Woffinden will be pleased at not being able to earn what he is worth on the global stage as World Champion? Is this a way to encourage the top riders to (continue to) take part in our leagues and thereby improving the product for British fans? Thank you BSPA for burying your heads in the sand and further diluting the product even further.

• Like 1

Surely there would be little if no impact on the Elite League as the pairs will be on a Saturday, unless as per GPs the riders are required to practice on the Friday? Does anyone know if that's the case?

Does anyone think that isolationism will do British Speedway any good? Do you think that the likes of Tai Woffinden will be pleased at not being able to earn what he is worth on the global stage as World Champion? Is this a way to encourage the top riders to (continue to) take part in our leagues and thereby improving the product for British fans? Thank you BSPA for burying your heads in the sand and further diluting the product even further.

Rules are rules, but it's still preseason and solutions can be found ...

It will impact on British riders, if BSPA will keep on causing problems for them on the international scene, rather than finding solutions so everyone can be happy?

Official calendar and teams:

Poland
Russia
Australia
Denmark
Sweden
Germany
Latvia

28.03 Torun (PL)
10.05 Landshut (DE)
23.05 Eskilstuna (SE)

Utter joke that the BSPA keep making the English Channel wider and wider. They don't promote British Speedway they just hinder it, this event will be shown in over 70 countries to millions of people and yet the we don't enter. Why what's the problem of sending riders over there to compete at a very high level. We will be forgotten about soon, we manage to get a British Speedway WORLD champion and yet he's not allowed to promote our sport across the WORLD.

Man words don't disgrace how disgruntled I am it this. This is the reason why our World Cup squad is lackluster cause we don't let them race together in meetings like this to gain experience. Yes World Cup is individuals but these events form bonds and partnerships and understanding.

Surely there would be little if no impact on the Elite League as the pairs will be on a Saturday, unless as per GPs the riders are required to practice on the Friday? Does anyone know if that's the case?

The 3 rounds are on Fridays and Saturdays. Poole are due at Lakeside on 28/3 and Arlington on the 10th May!! Not so worried about the first fixture as its only a challenge - even though Poole might be missing Ward and one/both? of the Poles, but unless the Eastie fixture is moved, there will be some sort of issue to be overcome!!

Edited by Skidder1

This is nothing to do with the BSPA, surely.

It's just an unofficial boring old pairs event (but with decent prize money), so popular a format that only 3 or 4 pairs meetings are held each year in the UK.

As long as riders have no official meetings in the UK on those dates, I don't see how the BSPA can stop them accepting a booking for such a meeting.

Whether or not they can be called a Great Britain team is not the riders' problem.