British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

Speedway Best Pairs

The 3 rounds are on Fridays and Saturdays. Poole are due at Lakeside on 28/3 and Arlington on the 10th May!! Not so worried about the first fixture as its only a challenge - even though Poole might be missing Ward and one/both? of the Poles, but unless the Eastie fixture is moved, there will be some sort of issue to be overcome!!

Sorry I should have been clearer in my post. The only round that affects the Brits in the Elite League is 23/05 when Coventry host Eastie. I don't think there's anything the BSPA can do about other federations sanctioning their riders to take part in this event.

Why not let Tai and Bomber contest the 1st and 2nd rounds and then send a substitute for Bomber for the last round. All that's happening here is 2 riders are being prevented from earning some decent money and the BSPA are missing an opportunity to have a British presence on a televised event.

Lol, this is a much bigger event, including live coverage on Eurosport in loads of countries .... win win for the speedway fans, surely they can move their meetings ;)

This is nothing to do with the BSPA, surely.

It's just an unofficial boring old pairs event (but with decent prize money), so popular a format that only 3 or 4 pairs meetings are held each year in the UK.

As long as riders have no official meetings in the UK on those dates, I don't see how the BSPA can stop them accepting a booking for such a meeting.

Whether or not they can be called a Great Britain team is not the riders' problem.

Is nothing to do with BSPA ?...with whom then ?

Polish speedway media are quoting One Sport Company representative as saying :

"We have decided that the British Speedway will not participate, and does not approve of this kind of rivalry" – it I said in the (BSPA) response sent to the One Sport. Such a laconic reply surprised the One Sport representatives. - "We received a letter in which one sentence gives a clear BSPA position. That is - not granting permission for British riders to compete in events organized by us … without giving any reason. We talked this morning to Tai Woffinden, his comment regarding this situation is not suitable for citation.

For you it might be "an unofficial boring old pair event", it might not be very popular in the UK. Does it mean it should not be promoted elsewhere.

Does it mean that British speedway authorities (whoever that might be) have the right to prevent their riders earning money elsewhere.

Surely not.

As long as riders have no official meetings in the UK on those dates, I don't see how the BSPA can stop them accepting a booking for such a meeting.

By not giving a starting permit. Since the meetings are not under ACU/BSPA the riders need a permit from BSPA/ACU (or whatever the fed they race under) to be eligible to start in a meeting held under any other federation. They cant switch licenses midway through either and can only hold one license per year for one federation/nation.

EDIT: They cant do anything to stop Ward riding, if he wants to. THIS ASSUMING his club lets him ride and not look to ban him for withholding his services.

Edited by f-s-p

Does it mean that British speedway authorities (whoever that might be) have the right to prevent their riders earning money elsewhere.

Surely not.

Exactly. We totally agree. They have NO right to prevent riders earning money elsewhere.

They can't stop riders taking part in individual, pairs, or team events anywhere in the world, so long as riders are not contracted to ride for their UK teams on those dates.

The pairs competition has nothing to do with the FIM, FIM-Europe, or the BSPA as far as I can see.

The fact that the prize money is large, or that it is on TV, is irrelevant.

They can't stop riders taking part in individual, pairs, or team events anywhere in the world, so long as riders are not contracted to ride for their UK teams on those dates.

Thanks for clarification.

Nothing should then stop Tai and Bomber to ride in the first two rounds and have a substitute for Bomber for the third round as he have to ride for his club on that day. But the BSPA did and the organizers had no option than to ask another nation instead . Which I believe they did.

Eastbourne v Poole on 10/5 so will Poole get facility for Darcy?

Lets face it, this Best Pairs event is tailor made for the Turbo Twins.

IF Darcy Ward wants to place money and country before Poole Pirates then there would be no "facility" for him, in the same was as there was no facility for Hans Andersen in 2013 when he went to ride in the Euros instead of for Swindon. Poole will have to find a National League guest, and Ward would get a ban of some sorts.

So you can imagine Ford now wanting to persuade Cook to postpone the fixture in light of a lack of star attractions and poor value for money for the fans (he does like that one doesn't he?) and you can imagine that Cook will want to take advantage of the best chance of getting a 3-point win over the Pirates for a long time.

The Polish authorities would never prevent a rider from riding in another country just because it may not suit them and thus prevent them from earning money.

Oh hang on a minute......

• Like 3

Or maybe the riders everyone thinks are riding, are actually not!

Its not as if this Pairs event is new - they ran it last season and it was on Eurosport!

Personally I thought it was a total borefest and the commentators struggling to keep any enthusiasm going for the TV viewer.

Its not as if this Pairs event is new - they ran it last season and it was on Eurosport!

Personally I thought it was a total borefest and the commentators struggling to keep any enthusiasm going for the TV viewer.

It was only one round last year, it's three this year.

I agree that last year the Torun pairs meeting was not really exciting to watch on TV, and I struggle to get excited about having three of that kind this year.

Surely the Polish Ekstraliga will NOT change their fixtures just to please the organisers of a pairs event in an other country. Substitute riders will have to be used for the pairs event in case of fixtures clashes. After all, this pairs events are no officiall FIM or FIM EUrope event. They are just a series of lucrative and well promoted open meetings.