British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Karl Maier Back On A Bike

A programme on Landshut in Bavaria,which includes a section on the Bundesliga champs Landshut including current rider martin Smolinski riding against former Landshut star Karl Maier.Also 12 year old daughter of a former ice speedway rider Celina Liebmann.Very impressive stadium and Maier still looks pretty fit.Don't think i have seen him since his time in England

Bit about speedway is about half way through from memory of watching the programme yesterday

http://www.br.de/mediathek/video/bayerntour-landshut-14januar-104.html

59 minutes ago, iris123 said:

A clip going back to 1990 at the Long track,Scheessel of Maier winning a meeting ahead of Wiggy-Bit is right at the end

https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/589970?q=sandbahn+rennen&xm=AND&xf[0]=_fulltext&xo[0]=CONTAINS&xv[0]

A good rider at all disiplines always felt he could of  been even better at speedway if he had taken seriously as his number 1 priority.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

A good rider at all disiplines always felt he could of  been even better at speedway if he had taken seriously as his number 1 priority.

You could say that about most Germans - Peter Schroeck and Bernt Odermatt excepted...

Steve

The only German Bernt I have heard of is Bernt Knockwurst!.

13 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

The only German Bernt I have heard of is Bernt Knockwurst!.

Actually, it was "Bernd", although I have seen it spelled three different ways. We thought he was part-Irish, and called him "Bernd O'Doormat"!!! :drink:

Steve

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chunky said:

You could say that about most Germans - Peter Schroeck and Bernt Odermatt excepted...

Steve

This guy was pretty special remember Collins saying how good he was and what he could achieve.

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Actually, it was "Bernd", although I have seen it spelled three different ways. We thought he was part-Irish, and called him "Bernd O'Doormat"!!! :drink:

Steve

Another rider I have never heard of!!!

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Another rider I have never heard of!!!

He rode for Leicester and Hackney in 1980, although he didn't ride in any official fixtures for the 'Awks...

Steve

Swindon signed him in 1983 but he had a car accident before joining and never rode.

Given his record at Leicester and Hackney, he would have fitted well into our team that season!!

• Haha 1

Speaking of Germans Klaus Lausch could have made it in Britain. Was more than useful riding for Oxford in 1985 (he actually beat Michael Lee at King's Lynn) but I guess that the lucrative longtrack and later engine tuning scene proved more attractive.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Speaking of Germans Klaus Lausch could have made it in Britain. Was more than useful riding for Oxford in 1985 (he actually beat Michael Lee at King's Lynn) but I guess that the lucrative longtrack and later engine tuning scene proved more attractive.

I do remember them all and of course Gerd Riss,who really looked like he was going to be s good heat leader at one stage 

• Like 1