British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Elite Riders Championship - 25/09/2014

Just another individual meeting now. The riders want this so they get a good practice session before the real business of the NZ Grand Prix and the Polish League. Note how many top riders have been turning up for early season individuals over ther past couple of years. Maybe somer of them might be interested in winning it as well.

Not sure we should give the chance for a bit of practice to the mercenaries who have turned their backs on British Speedway. Fair play to Rory at least he has stuck by British Speedway and does his very best each season. Rather have him than the likes of Hancock who uses British Speedway to suit his purpose then walks away. About time British Speedway woke up to the fact that currently we are second rate as an Elite League and should ignore to so called expensive superstars as we simply cannot afford them at the moment.

Who on earth wants to pay £25 (or whatever it's going to be) to see riders having "a bit of practice"? I'd want to see 16 individuals wanting to win the damn thing, rather than try out new engines etc.

You would have a very hard struggle to pick 16 top British riders at this moment in time.

They don't have to be British.. just 'Elite'.

Edited by The Abbott
  • Like 1

ANY rider not competing in the Elite lge in 2014 should never even be considered for this event, its for Elite Lge riders, end of...

• Like 7

It should be as previous, the riders riding in the EL in 2014 who are the team number 1 and the next 6 riders with the highest average. Being run earlier in the year should mean that riders are available.

• Like 1

ELRC featured special guests a couple of years ago. Towards the back end of the year it's treated with contempt by the riders. I seem to remember Holder tweeting a few years back he'd yet to of received his prize. Basically it's a trophy to line the pockets of the BSPA and hopefully the track rewarded with holding the event.

With the SGP series starting in March and riders wanting practice time why not offer this as an invitational meeting with predominantly EL riders and SGP riders who have ridden in the EL in last 2/3 years. That then opens the doors to the likes of Lindgren, Holder, Hancock, Sayfutdinov, ....

• Like 1

As I said on another thread if its going to be an invitational event then it might aswell be the Brandonapolis. I wouldnt mind say 2 invited riders but each club should be represented.

What a load of old tosh. If its the 'Elite League Riders Championship' then its open to the Elite league riders only.

If you want it to be a Open meeting then call it what you want, like Joe Blogs Invitation. But don't take the P....s out of the few supporters that are left......

If you want to feather the nests of some riders who can't be bothered to ride here, then so be it , but don't say its one thing and mean it's something else

Well said.

If the top riders of the EL turn out for the ELRC then it would be a decent line up each year. Changing it to the start of the year could be one way of trying to ensure ALL the top EL boys are able to ride in it.

Having been shot down for suggesting that its NOT the ELRC anymore it actually still is. "The ERC, last staged at Brandon in 2009, has traditionally been an end-of-season event and has been hosted by Swindon in recent years."

What event has been staged at the end of the season and has been at Swindon the past few years???

I cannot believe some think it is actually a changed event - it isn't.

The only change is dropping the `league` part and `inviting` guests. The format has changed the event hasn't.

Let the top 16 EL riders (including one from each club) race for it. Why do we need riders who cant be bothered to ride here anyway??

• Like 4

If the top riders of the EL turn out for the ELRC then it would be a decent line up each year. Changing it to the start of the year could be one way of trying to ensure ALL the top EL boys are able to ride in it.

Having been shot down for suggesting that its NOT the ELRC anymore it actually still is. "The ERC, last staged at Brandon in 2009, has traditionally been an end-of-season event and has been hosted by Swindon in recent years."

What event has been staged at the end of the season and has been at Swindon the past few years???

I cannot believe some think it is actually a changed event - it isn't.

The only change is dropping the `league` part and `inviting` guests. The format has changed the event hasn't.

Let the top 16 EL riders (including one from each club) race for it. Why do we need riders who cant be bothered to ride here anyway??

• Like 3

Cant find a start time anywhere either ..Guess whose in it & guess what time its on !!

Hope it is early afternoon start

Glad that's sorted out then so I can easily make up my mind. If Hancock, Lindgren, Holder and any other rider not in the Elite League this season are in the line up then I won't bother going as it will just be an individual meeting. I'll stick with The Storm on the Friday as I much prefer team racing.

• Like 1

From the posts on here I'm assuming that the line-up is not yet known. However, I agree with previous posts that those riders making a commitment to compete in the EL should be the only ones considered for the chance to win this event. Those who are not included because 'guests' are invited should rightly feel aggrieved - this includes, potentially, the winner from 2 of the last 3 years!

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 3

If they are going to continue charging £25 then the line-up needs to be the best possible - no matter what they call the meeting!!! :P

• Like 1

I hate this new format. I prefer the current one we have with no shows, over priced admission and NL riders. Maybe if they have a couple of the men in black thrown in it will be back to its former glory.

• Like 4

Certainly better than theend of season fiasco where a large number of riders are unavailable all of a sudden.

Anyone pulled out yet?

• Like 2

Not sure we should give the chance for a bit of practice to the mercenaries who have turned their backs on British Speedway. Fair play to Rory at least he has stuck by British Speedway and does his very best each season. Rather have him than the likes of Hancock who uses British Speedway to suit his purpose then walks away. About time British Speedway woke up to the fact that currently we are second rate as an Elite League and should ignore to so called expensive superstars as we simply cannot afford them at the moment.

Can you explain what you mean about Greg using British Speedway to suit his purpose Unless I am very much mistaken Matt Ford asked Greg to slot into Poole,s team as Chris Holder was injured for rest of the season .Greg began his career over here a long time ago and he has given a lot of people a lot of pleasure over the years .He is one of the best for mixing with the fans and is always available to sign autographs or pose for photos .How the hell you can call him a mercenary is beyond me. IMO your post wins the crap post of the weekend award :mad:

• Like 1