British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

2014 British Youth Championship

The BSPA have announced dates & venues for a six round championship this morning. Go to: http://www.speedwaygb.co/ for details.

• Like 1

Very sad to see that Iwade can no longer host a round, as it was always one of my favourite meetings of the season.

• Like 1

With just a couple of days to go before the opening round of this always entertaining tournament, there seems to be no publicity being given about it.

Am I the only member of the paying public that is attending? Does anyone (Phil or Neil) have confirmation of the line-ups, and presumablyit's still scheduled to take place at Scunthorpe. Anyone that officially knows the answers.......HELP......please?

With just a couple of days to go before the opening round of this always entertaining tournament, there seems to be no publicity being given about it.

Am I the only member of the paying public that is attending? Does anyone (Phil or Neil) have confirmation of the line-ups, and presumablyit's still scheduled to take place at Scunthorpe. Anyone that officially knows the answers.......HELP......please?

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.24057

THE TENTH season of racing at Scunthorpe’s Eddie Wright Raceway commences with the opening round of the 2014 British Youth Championship on Sunday afternoon (3pm).

No fewer than 42 youngsters, all aged 16 or below, are set to do battle in four different categories – 500cc, 250cc, 125cc and 150cc box.

Much of the interest for home supporters will be focused on Reece Downes and Liam Sanderson, the two 15-year-olds who will ride in the reserve berths for the Scunthorpe Stags’ National League team. Downes won the 500cc class in the round at Scunthorpe last season.

There are also a host of riders from the Scunthorpe amateur meetings on display on Sunday.

Scunthorpe Stags’ chairman Richard Hollingsworth said: “We are very proud to stage the opening round of the 2014 British Youth Championship at the Eddie Wright Raceway. Youth development is something we pride ourselves on at Scunthorpe.

“Many of the riders will be familiar to those who attend our amateur meetings, which take place monthly during both the summer and winter months.

“It was great when Reece won the round here last season, and he will be amongst the contenders on Sunday.

“One of the main men for the Scunthorpe Scorpions, Josh Auty, was the first-ever winner of the 500cc championship in 2004. On Sunday, it’s a great chance to watch the stars of the future – maybe a future Scorpions’ No 1 will be on parade.”

In total, there are 42 riders competing on Sunday. There are 46 races (42 heats plus four finals). The cost of admission is just £5 for all adults, whilst admission is free for all accompanied children aged 16 and under.

Admission Prices for Sunday:

All adults: £5.00

Child (0 - 16) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Programme: £1.00

Sunday’s line-up:

500cc class: Nathan Greaves, Lewis Griggs, Jack P Blackburn, Alex Wilson, Reece Downes, Macaulay Leek, Luke Harris, Liam Sanderson, Connor Fletcher, Zach Wajtknecht, Daniel Miles, Luke Whitehead, Kelsey Dugard, Layne Cupitt.

250cc class: Mitchell Beckett, Lewis Whitmore, Henry Atkins, Luke Woodhull, Ben Woodhull.

125cc support class: Charlie Brooks, Henry McGurk, Sam McGurk, Kieran Douglas, Sam Stead, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson, Sam Wright, Kyle Bickley, Ryan Morris, Joylon West, Jordan Jenkins, Kai Hubbard, Jack Watson, Stephen Whitehouse, Nathan Ablitt, James Hitchen.

150cc Box support class: Tom Brennan, Chad Wirtzfeld, Jamie Halder, Kieran Taylor, Jason Edwards, Kean Dicken.

* Both the FluidAir Power Scunthorpe Scorpions and Scunthorpe Stags commence their seasons in a double-header at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Sunday, March 30 (3pm). The Scorpions entertain local rivals, Sheffield Tigers, in League Cup action, while the Stags take on Kent in a National League encounter.

Edited by wayne b
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for that wayne b.

I've got into the habit of looking on the BSF for my information, and the thought of checking the website you've highlighted never crossed my mind....DOH!! Very grateful, and just hope the poor weather forecast proves to be wrong, and that it gets well attended.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

Doesn't look like updates are covering this so I'll be tweeting results

@aej50

Hi Alan,

I don't have a clue what 'Tweeting' is all about, or how I can check out your tweets (I don't have a modern mobile phone), is it something that I can do through my PC?

The reason I ask is because whilst I attended yesterday's meeting, I got so fed up with not being able to hear the dreadful PA system (it never improves from year to year) I left the meeting quite a few races before the end.

I don't know who the announcer was (I've heard him before), but he was just inaudible for most of the time(sounds as though he's taking the mic away from his mouth whilst giving results). It was therefore extremely difficult to follow who was in what races, and at times what race was even being run.

I spoke to a number of people around the stadium to see if they could help me, some like me, didn't have a clue what was happening, whilst others had differing views as to who had ridden etc.

I go to a lot of the British Youth Championship meetings, and have never experienced these problems before, and it was purely down to the announcer and tannoy.

What I did see, I must say I enjoyed the racing, and there really are some terrific prospects for the future out there. Considering we had that very heavy hail storm prior to proceedings, I thought the lads went about their task magnificently. The stadium and track as always was a credit to all and sundry, but if you can't hear what's going on properly, it spoils the occasion.

I still don't know if there were any riders changes in either the 250cc or 150cc class or indeed the heat results. I don't have a clue what the total points scored by any of the riders in any of the classes were either, so if there is a way I can obtain your detailed tweets, I'd be much obliged if you could advise me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I just hope they've either fixed the tannoy or found a better announcer by the next time I visit what is one of my favourite speedway venues in a few weeks time.

Having just checked the Scunthorpe website, there is a good report and results service on there, for which I'm grateful in this particular case. It may be 100% accurate, or maybe only 99% accurate, that I don't know for sure, but I do know that all those that I spoke to had Alex Wilson as finishing last in Heat 2, something that I'd also recorded in my programme, but the website would suggest otherwise. So unless the referees programme ever appears, I guess I'll never know what really happened that afternoon.

Anyway, thanks to whoever has put the report on the website, it's at least confirmed some of my scores, if not all.