Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Rusty Harrison Testimonial Saturday 4th October 2014. 18:30 Hrs

Best wishes Rusty, have a good one. Hope we see you at Ashfield before the end of season. :cheers:

Edited by tyretrax

Can't make it as i live too far away. Is there an updates link available.

After the deluge that hit Workington through Friday, Friday night/Saturday morning especially, I'm amazed this meeting even got this far?

Considering the number of rain offs we've had from far less hostile conditions I was convinced this was a gonner yesterday, cant believe they've chanced their arm to go so late before calling it off, what happened to the "day before" call off due to poor forecasts, this one wasn't brilliant and they have been called off for less this season, can see it hitting the fan....again!! :o

After the deluge that hit Workington through Friday, Friday night/Saturday morning especially, I'm amazed this meeting even got this far?

Considering the number of rain offs we've had from far less hostile conditions I was convinced this was a gonner yesterday, cant believe they've chanced their arm to go so late before calling it off, what happened to the "day before" call off due to poor forecasts, this one wasn't brilliant and they have been called off for less this season, can see it hitting the fan....again!! :o

the forcast was for it to be bad during the night and morning and clear from around midday it stopped raining around 10.00 and got out nice so no need to call it off untill the shower just before start time

• Like 1

Indeed, over optimistic is the phrase here. The reported 'good' track conditions must have been 50/50 at best if it only took one short shower to finish it off. Had one very upset four year old this evening when we turned up to find the meeting off after promising her her first speedway meeting all afternoon.

There was a torrential downpour around 12.30 pm which last about 20 minutes - any remedial work they had managed to do would have been washed away then.

The rainfall then was far worse than the later shower.

Should have called it off at that point and maybe re-scheduled as 2015 season opener.

With the way the weather has been over the last 36 hours even if they had somehow got the meeting on the crowd number would be low and Rusty deserves a good turnout.....

Edited by Lake Bodom Comet
  • Like 1

its 11.00 pm and the official workington site still showing that the meeting is DEFIANTLY ON..hope all the fans from glasgow got home ok. long way to come for chips..

the forcast was for it to be bad during the night and morning and clear from around midday it stopped raining around 10.00 and got out nice so no need to call it off untill the shower just before start time

Right, no need to call it off until people were there wanting to see the meeting, well if it only took a shower to bomb the event just before start time it cant have been in a very raceable condition then could it?

I didn't go down as I had already convinced myself from the Friday that there was no way that track would have recovered in time for this meeting going on past experience of rain damage on the track, it would have made for a very poor spectacle. As LBC says, if any reparation had been done and conditions influenced again by further rainfall, then the right thing was to call it off at that point and "prevent anyone" holding the view of coming through to "not bother" and save themselves a lot of time and money?

Too many supporters are being taken for mugs by incidents like this and promotions wonder why crowds are dwindling, I dont know if the gates were open and monies exchanged as, as I've said, I wasn't there but it does beggar belief that Workington Speedway can call off PL meetings early to prevent uneccessary costs to riders/supporters of other teams seemingly with no problem, so why didn't they just "advise" to do the same for this one? :blush:

I would like to think that we will leave this meeting alone til next Season now rather than try for another cold/damp night in October to have another lash, it will be a poor crowd this time of year and Rusty deserves better than that, he may have to wait a bit longer but hopefully it would be worth it!! ;)

Edited by Lord Lucan

i thought rusty was going back to aus next year and this was his last season in speedway. if he does continue to ride in 2015, put him in the worky team..

i thought rusty was going back to aus next year and this was his last season in speedway. if he does continue to ride in 2015, put him in the worky team..

No way :nono: We need him at Glasgow :t::cheers: