British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barrycuda

Squads For Elite League Teams ?

There are enough debates on her about fiddling as it is without opening up this can of worms. Janowski would never ride at Wolves or Cook never at Poole, additional Kevlars, how to restrict numbers/riders etc. all to pander to a few top riders who just want a bit of extra bunce & publicity. Rider commitments abroad have already had a detrimental impact on the top league here, why change everything again to suit the same few riders. Those comitted to a full season here should be the ones we reward. This could be the tipping point for me attending.

What about rewarding some of the fans that commit to a full season?! Any option to attract fans back by seeing more top riders has to be considered seriously!!

• Like 1

What about rewarding some of the fans that commit to a full season?! Any option to attract fans back by seeing more top riders has to be considered seriously!!

I agree about attracting fans but I disagree that this is the way to do it. You wouldn't see more top riders, just different riders in different meetings.

• Like 3

Well said Skidder1.

I've never understood why guests have to be contracted riders. That way anyone needing a guest could use Hancock, Gollob, Holder etc if mutually agreeable. Surely its better to use unattached riders as guests rather than your opponents riders? Also gives clubs a chance to trial newbies.

Having riders who are crowd pullers Greg, Emil, Gollob, AJ, Holder, etc could be a huge boost to the league. I would suggest if such names rode for realistic $ amounts it would be worth doing - the Elite League currently is going down the pan big time and with no disrespect to a guy like Danny King, who is a great club servant and heatleader, having him as a #1 rider doesn't quite excite me!

You wouldn't want a system that would allow second strings to ride a part time schedule, but big names who could breathe some life into a dying league would be worth trying to work out.

Edited by SteveEvans

The idea of a squad system is not to better the league, it is purely and simple to accommodate a few top riders who don't want to commit full time.. Personally, I'm against anything if its detrimental to the integrity of the league.

We are fortunate at Lynn in that we have a star rider like Niels. We don't want to swap him one week for someone else, we don't want riders who are not prepared to compete on a regular basis. All these riders, like Hancock, are thinking of themselves and feathering their own nest. If they're not prepared to commit to our league then sod off. I would much rather have the same riders every week, a team that each and every supporter can relate with.

We cannot run our league on the whims of the top riders and if and when they want to ride. We cannot afford them and the sooner we accept that the better.

• Like 2