British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

6 Of The 15 Gp In El Next Season

Yet some how it's still a million times better

if "a million times better" means:-

paying out more money than you take in.

propping the league up with dodgy money.

only having one team turn up for the showpiece televised play off final.

• Like 3

Yeah, if need be. The quality of racing is outstanding and has been consistently for years. So yeah, if dodgy money produces consistently good world class racing then bring it on. thumbs_up-1294.gif

Edited by Synikalle

98 witches foursome rickardsson/gollob/Louis/nicholls....now that would of been a super league against torun!

First question - are you or do you seek to be entertained by the riders when you go to the speedway? If so, then whether they do so directly or indirectly, they are the ones entertaining you.

Second question - have you discussed your point of view with the Richardson family? Or the Duh family? or the Olsson family?

Answer 1. What i said originally still holds as in i disagree with your statement that those riders enter the sport in order to entertain people. They enter the sport for sporting reasons and the thrill of racing a speedway bike.

Answer 2. Dear oh dear! I was actually going to head off any misguided references to riders who had lost their lives or were seriously injured. I decided against it as i considered nobody would use such tragedies as a counter argument, particularly as it doesn't disprove what i said at all. Have any of the relatives told you that those riders decided to take up speedway because they wanted to entertain people? I think the reasons i gave for current riders and those sadly passed away are the actual reasons.

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

Yet some how it's still a million times better

Standard wise yes, but its not run a million times better.

• Like 1

Standard wise yes, but its not run a million times better.

But what do you really care about most?

But what do you really care about most?

The Polish EL or our EL? There isn't any competition is there! :wink:

More money and a larger fan base. Speedway is amongst the top sports in Poland so attracts more attention.

It's funny but not sure if it's a myth or because it is a very small sample size but I have had a number Polish guys working for me over the years and none of them have ever supported speedway and most have never heard of Tomasz Gollob!

• Like 1

It's funny but not sure if it's a myth or because it is a very small sample size but I have had a number Polish guys working for me over the years and none of them have ever supported speedway and most have never heard of Tomasz Gollob!

OMG! Noooo! Heresy! you can't go against the ad nauseum mantra that Nigel Pearson chimes no matter what country or city or town or 'not to be found on a map or even exist on Wikipedia outpost' that stages a speedway meeting......"they sure do love their speedway in (insert location)" ;)

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

It would be fair say speedway is amongst the top sports in Poland, but it's not the most popular and is quite regionalised in its appeal.

It's probably been a couple of years since I last looked, but whilst the Polish Elite League probably still has the highest average attendances of any sport in Poland, it's on the back of a relatively small number of teams and meetings. Polish football still has by far the higher aggregate attendance, and in terms of popular following, even basketball is probably bigger in the national consciousness.

But looking at it from the another prospective, I bet there are a lot more Polish people working in our country, than British people working over there. So what does that tell you.

The simple fact is that average wages are much higher in the UK than Poland, but that doesn't apply to speedway.

Me! , I would much rather live in this country, where life is far more enjoyable, and make do with lesser standard of speedway, then live in Poland.

Life is what you make it, and Poland has is relatively empty compared to the UK and has its nice bits as well. The main reason not to live there is wages, but if you even a modest amount of money I'd imagine you can have a high standard of living indeed.

You mean the young men who risk their lives for your entertainment?

No they don't.

Throw in not paying many riders for months.

Ticking time bomb in Sweden and Poland financially far more so than here. No wonder the speedway mercenaries turn their back on Britain to chase the cash, good luck while it lasts i just hope we don't rush to take them back when the bubble bursts

Absolutely. There have been many cases of riders not being paid in both Sweden and Poland and the amounts in some cases are quite staggering. Let's wait and see.

No they don't.

Throw in not paying many riders for months.

And let's not forget the Poles habit of conjuring up spurious fines at the end of the season to avoid paying what they owe!

Ticking time bomb in Sweden and Poland financially far more so than here. No wonder the speedway mercenaries turn their back on Britain to chase the cash, good luck while it lasts i just hope we don't rush to take them back when the bubble bursts

Absolutely. There have been many cases of riders not being paid in both Sweden and Poland and the amounts in some cases are quite staggering. Let's wait and see.

Oh get real... that bomb will be ticking for an awful lot longer and their bubble will never burst! It certainly can't get any worse over there than it already is over here. People don't get paid all the time in all lines of work. There could be many reasons. A poor cash flow for example doesn't mean there isn't good money. Polish speedway is a million times better in almost every way. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Edited by Poole

People don't get paid all the time in all lines of work.

Are things getting tough in the sweet shop industry then Tommy?

• Like 1