British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gyrsaker1

Jap

hello all new ti speedway bikes but used to race pre 70 motocross (many moons ago) iv just been given a bike from old friend its a jap and apparently jap frame girder forks ? will try post some pics over weekend .it was fully restored over 20yrs ago but sadly has stood in damp shed ever since and chrome on frame .oil tank.mud guards ect is on its arse as well as wheel rims .engine seems good lots compression an good spark oil tank is empty so presume old girls wet sumpd .any advice on spares ? chrome work ect gratefully recived cheers mark my number is 07518174911

• Like 1

Sounds like you may have a Rotrax JAP but without seeing it that's only a guess.

Regarding oil, it won't have wet sumped because it doesn't have a sump! It uses the total loss principle where the oil drops out of the bottom of the engine after being used. A bike in storage would typically have no oil in the tank. Hope that makes some sense and is of help to you.

I would strip it down before attempting to start - or at the very least - strip and clean the oil pump and put oil down the barrel. Restored one would be worth around £5000 - I think. It might be possible to date from the engine number. Photos would be interesting to see. . .

• Like 1

lot more info came to light in recent weeks ....this has now become restore to original rather than rip an replace job .bike was purchased from P Collins after he spent few yrs restoring it ....it was then purchased by my boss from P.C. for alledgedly 15k back in very eary 80s

Hi

I would not eveb turn the engine over as Iwould think there will be very little oil on the cams and it could be a very costly exercise

just turning by hand as it could rip the hardening off the cam noses

and even if you put oil in the tank the pumps will take some time to get it through the oilways

Regards

Steve