British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 60 Wtcs Of The 70s

Issue 60 (our 10th anniversary edition) is out now and is packed with lots more nostalgia from the 70s & 80s, including:

WORLD TEAM CUPS OF THE 70s

Remember when Great Britain/England ruled the international speedway waves, when Peter Collins became a household name and the likes of Ray Wilson, John Louis, Malcolm Simmons, Terry Betts, Dave Jessup, Michael Lee and co. just couldnt stop winning? Rob Peasley looks back at a decade of Rule Britannia and a couple of major shocks from Australia and New Zealand on the biggest stage.

SIMMOS COLUMN

Having won four World Team Cup FIM gold medals in his glittering career, Super Simmo happily recalls that glorious period and why perhaps he shouldnt have been there for Englands last victory of the 70s.

JAMES EASTER INTERVIEW

In part two of his in-depth interview with Tony McDonald, Travel Plus Tours boss James Easter recalls the highs and lows of managing three of the worlds top nations, Australia, England and USA, and his time as co-promoter at Peterborough. The outspoken Jimbo also explains why British speedway needs an independent leader.

Quotes from James:

Jimbo on managing Australia

It didnt matter that Ive never ridden a speedway bike. I used to say to them: I cant ride your bike for you. When you go through the pit gate, you are the person riding the bike. Ill just get you in the right frame of mind and organised before you go out there. Its up to you. If you dont want to do it, dont go in for it. But dont p*** me about.

Jimbo on trying to open speedway at Blackpool

The stadium was right in the middle of town and although we could have put in a track, it would have taken two years to do it. There was also a noise issue that might have been a problem, so we decided over fish and chips to go into Peterborough instead. We called our new promoting company Ramsden Sports Promotions Ltd on account of where we were eating at the time.

Jimbo on co-promoting at Peterborough

When you add up what I got back by selling my shares, I came out of it OK financially. I was probably one of the last people to make money out of speedway. This is what slices me off with the internet forums and all the people who go on there and tell promoters what they should be doing. Lets see if they are prepared to put their arse on the line, pay their money upfront and see if their mouth is as big as their money. Dont criticise people who are losing money hand over fist.

Jimbo on managing England

We had a deal with the riders pay which was agreed between the riders and the BSPA. But when their pay slips came through, the BSPA had reverted to the old rates. They ostensibly blamed me but it wasnt my fault. In my opinion I was lied to in front of other people. It just degenerated from there and Id had enough of it.

Jimbo on past promoters

Its not right to keep looking back but in the old days you had proper promoters the Reg Fearmans, Wally Mawdsleys, the wonderfully magical Ian Thomas, Mike Parker, who nobody liked but, by god, he was good, and Charles Ochiltree, who was the best there was, and then there was Lennie Silver, who is still around now. Were talking about real promoters. But today weve got a lot of people running tracks who are fans with a few bob and they idolise riders. Dont idolise them make them work and do things to promote tracks.

BERWICK: 50 MEMORABLES MOMENTS

Shining the spotlight on a founder member club of BL2 who are still going strong in the second tier some 47 years later. Since their formation in 1968 the Bandits in Border Country have reached a string of KO Cup Finals, provided two winners of the NLRC and had an expensive dabble in the top flight led by international stars.

MARK LEWISOHN INTERVIEW

Years before he became a best-selling author and the worlds only professional Beatles historian, Mark Lewisohn was passionate about speedway. He spoke to us about his passion for Wembley Lions, White City and Eastbourne, and his friendship with boyhood hero Bert Harkins.

OPENING TIMES

Speedway returned to Sunderland in 1971 after a gap of seven years. Here we look back at the reopening meeting against North-East rivals Teesside and events surrounding it with Stars skipper and No.1 Russ Dent, who played a key role as track manager at the East Boldon venue.

ALF WEEDON REMEMBERED

Alf Weedon, who photographed more riders and races than anyone in his 50 years experience in the sport since 1947, gave Tony McDonald his first job in speedway as boss of Speedway Mail. Here our editor pays tribute to one of the sports great characters, who died in January, 2014, aged 93.

We also reflect on the late MIKE LETCH, who overcame tragedy very early in his speedway career to become an inspirational figure in his native Australia.

Plus . . . Martin Neals Q&As with STEVE PAYNE and BARRY KING, as well as your letters, a keen collector of Halifax and Castleford memorabilia and news that two roads in Bradford are to be named after former Odsal favourites.

To subscribe or order this single issue, go to http://www.retro-speedway.com or phone 01708 734 502.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

I ordered a few back issues seven, which now makes up my collection it got delivered a day later which was great.This magazine in my eyes is a brilliant read,well worth the money and once you pick it up you have to read right through well done TMC on a great magazine.

• Like 2