British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

Just read the press release from Coventry Dogs. It seems developers are involved in the sale but it suggests Coventry dogs decided to pull out because they are not guaranteed a future lease which will hinder advertising and are suffering losses anyway. Nothing to suggest yet speedway wont continue short term at Brandon.

Edited by woz01

Here's an idea.

Lets wait for an official announcement, before presuming anything.

Link to the Greyhounds statement:-

http://covdogs.com/

“We have been told that Coventry Stadium is to be sold and believe that developers are involved in the purchase. Our lease expires in about two and a half years and though Mr Sandhu, our landlord, has done all he can to support us we have no assurances that we can obtain an extension of that lease.

Our strategy has always been to develop a strong betting product for sale to media, but with no long term guarantees we have little prospect of signing any contracts, and can therefore no longer support the significant financial losses. Reluctantly, therefore, we will be closing the greyhound operation after the meeting on Saturday night.

We would like to thank all trainers and staff who have supported us over the past 2 years, particularly Harry who has worked tirelessly to promote our business at his own personal expense.”

ATB

Dave

Mick Horton due to be on bbc coventry radio around 5pm talking about the Brandon sale. Just for confirmation, its not been sold yet.

Edited by woz01

With the Elite League season only a few weeks away this is a total disaster for Speedway. To lose a historic venue like Coventry at virtually zero notice is terrible news. Not good for their riders either, where can the get a ride at this late stage.

I think everyone knew Brandon was borrowed time as a stadium but no one could have expected the end to come so quickly

Where did you get that from no wonder this furom gets a bad name with posts like that why don't you wait for a statement before spouting a load of rubbish
  • Like 3

|Just heard Mick Horton on BBC C&W. He said he does not know who the new owners are or their intentions for the land and is looking to speak to them. He said he thinks speedway will be there next season but doesnt know any further and will look to relocate if not.

I think we will be okay. Don't fret until Mick tells us otherwise. I have my full trust in him.

It will be safe until the lease is over. Its then either a new lease or relocation. The Ricoh Arena is available..............

It will be safe until the lease is over. Its then either a new lease or relocation. The Ricoh Arena is available..............

Yes a what a debacle that was when the football club was booted out because they could not afford to pay extortionate rents. Surely some rent is better than having a useless stadium standing empty week after week, white elephant springs to mind. Maybe a joint football and speedway venture. Dont know if its big enough though. In this day and age sporting venues seem to be totally expendable with no regard for the history and community values to the people they serve. Authorities do not seem to want to help. All that seems to matter to them is the colour of the money.

Any news please Mr Watson.

It's going to open that can of worms again! Terrible new as I don't see how it can be sold but with leases in place for coming season. Greyhounds had 2 years left and that's been booted!

It's going to open that can of worms again! Terrible new as I don't see how it can be sold but with leases in place for coming season. Greyhounds had 2 years left and that's been booted!

Greyhounds wasnt booted out, they needed a longer lease for advertising purposes.

Yeh they Needed, wasn't given cause of the sale so they were given no option and as a result they are not able to continue!

Edited by Ommer UM Speedway Blog
  • Like 1

Ive heard nothing either, if it has been sold I doubt its to Sisu as local press have been quiet about it for a while.

As the site has to be a motorsort venue and has a lease for several more years speedway 'should be' safe.

That's what they said about Station Road now the only thing Motorsporty is the names of the streets

• Like 1

I think we will be okay. Don't fret until Mick tells us otherwise. I have my full trust in him.

Sadly, if the stadium is sold the likelyhood being Speedway will go as well. And mick Hortons telling everybody he doesn't know who the new owners are?? How many years has all this been rumbling on, excuse the pun. Sad to hear, but there's never smoke without fire.

Edited by Starman2006