British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

I think everyones efforts should be put into trying to find a new site. We have had this hanging over our heads season after season and one day we are just going to be left without a track and club. It will be sad to leave Brandon but the club will be so much more stronger and secure at a new site.

Which, sadly, has still to be found? Ot am I falling behind again on this matter?

Which, sadly, has still to be found? Ot am I falling behind again on this matter?

Still needs to be found but there are various sites around the city that could hold a speedway stadium. Being a city does gives us that advantage of more available sites.

i think that people are missing the point hear, is that "Coventry speedway" is a brand,

moving it far away hits that brand and will affect crowds/revenue streams, yes i know Brandon is in rugby and yes i know technical us oldies remember it used to be "Brandon bees" not coventry!

you just need to look at history to determine the plan.

how many pressure groups have tried to keep the stadium and won?

non but in the process there team has gone.

how many teams have tried to relocate away from the area and survived?

no one.

its all very well being on the forum we are all die hard fans, but lets not forget part of speedways "charm" is its the only motor sport that is tribal like football..

you may forget this fact on the forum, but its still true.

moving away from that base will spell disaster, so for instance mallory park is in LEICESTERSHIRE, that site is closer to me than brandon, but i do not want the team to move there, and i suspect alot of the tribal fans like myself are the same!

apologies to Gemini who i know is an exception!

so then i hear you say

"well would you rather have a team even if in Leicester than none at all"

and the truth is i wouldn't think it was the same team with the same heritage so wouldn't be that committed!

im just being honest, why else do teams go out of business if the team moves away, the majority of the fans think like me.

stonleigh showground i think would "just" be acceptable, but then lord stonleigh would never agree to all those townies coming to his village!

I have to say it will never be the same where ever the new stadium is built if it happens .it will be the start of a new era for Coventry .Ive been lucky to have Had 55 years at Brandon which I am grateful for now hopefully it will carry on and create more history

Rugby speedway sounds like a strange hybrid sport!

We had Ivan Mauger's nephew playing for Leicester Tigers a few years ago - his bike kept getting stuck in the mud though

I have to say it will never be the same where ever the new stadium is built if it happens .it will be the start of a new era for Coventry .Ive been lucky to have Had 55 years at Brandon which I am grateful for now hopefully it will carry on and create more history

I agree completely, there is so much history around the stadium which will just vanish with the demolition . However clubs have moved to new stadiums in other sports without difficulty, let's hope the bees can do the same.

I have accepted the fact that brandon will go, and i have put my trust in Mr Sandhu .Here's hoping.

• Like 1

There is so much history and memories at Brandon but in reality a move is for the best. Speedway and life goes on, future generations of coventry speedway fans will have there very own history and memories WHEN we find a new home. Brandon stadium is a shadow of the past, the cracks are starting to show and as much as I love the place I believe she's had her day.

Dig our heels and we miss the opportunity to start a whole new adventure with a man leading the charge who has given his word to do all he can, he has never let bees fans down and I'd be very surprised if he starts now.

• Like 2

I can't see any mileage in opposing the sale of the stadium or future use of the site. Best bet is to put our trust in Sandhu. Surprised no one is mentioning Ryton / Tollbar on the opposite side to the car factory site. Think motocross operates there and there is also a scrap merchants. Still within Rugby borough and has the advantage of not being too near many Rugby borough electors. Any new location would need to be within the city limits or around the Eastern Bypass (which covers the likes of Rolls Royce and Ryton) or near to J3 in the borough of Nuneaton & Bedworth. Having said that there is an ideal arena for speedway ten miles south of the city centre - the Royal Showground at Stoneleigh. (For people who don,t know it,s a carbon copy of the E.of Es at P,boro) but it's covered by a Tory council in a very middle class area. You might think the Royal Agricultural society would welcome the extra revenue it would generate though.

Edited by tiberon
  • Like 1

The new ACL chairman is open to discussions with the Bees about using the Ricoh Arena.

He said "I guess there is a practical issue with it but nothing is ruled out, we would need to talk in detail about the possibilities of that happening".

Doesn't the Ricoh hold in excess of 25,000. Not sure a thousand people rattling around in a 25,000 stadium would work.

Doesn't the Ricoh hold in excess of 25,000. Not sure a thousand people rattling around in a 25,000 stadium would work.

It's more than the 0 football fans it currently gets!

• Like 2

32,500 actually but it would be a great opportunity to entice new fans to the sport. We get around 2,000 at Brandon so with better facilities and it actually being in Coventry it would surely attract more fans. A good few ccfc fans would also attend id imagine. Id present the idea to the council and include the chance of SGP, SEC and SWC, the council would like the idea of visitors coming to Coventry, its all they bang on about recently.

It's more than the 0 football fans it currently gets!

But there is a cost associated with opening up the stadium and 2,000-odd fans are unlikely to come close to meeting that.

But there is a cost associated with opening up the stadium and 2,000-odd fans are unlikely to come close to meeting that.

A Leicester u21 game was played recently I think it was reported the costs of opening the arena was only £1,000 and a fee to hire.

They could be better talking to Coventry city who are looking to build a new stadium soon,tracks around football/rugby pitches have been good in the past.it could be an ideal situation and backed by the council.

They could be better talking to Coventry city who are looking to build a new stadium soon,tracks around football/rugby pitches have been good in the past.it could be an ideal situation and backed by the council.

i don't think the Fl allows it

I can't see any mileage in opposing the sale of the stadium or future use of the site. Best bet is to put our trust in Sandhu. Surprised no one is mentioning Ryton / Tollbar on the opposite side to the car factory site. Think motocross operates there and there is also a scrap merchants. Still within Rugby borough and has the advantage of not being too near many Rugby borough electors. Any new location would need to be within the city limits or around the Eastern Bypass (which covers the likes of Rolls Royce and Ryton) or near to J3 in the borough of Nuneaton & Bedworth. Having said that there is an ideal arena for speedway ten miles south of the city centre - the Royal Showground at Stoneleigh. (For people who don,t know it,s a carbon copy of the E.of Es at P,boro) but it's covered by a Tory council in a very middle class area. You might think the Royal Agricultural society would welcome the extra revenue it would generate though.

why gas it got to be within City limits?

Apparently its against FL rules these days and the club should keep well away from Sisu. Also this new stadium for CCFC will never happen.

why gas it got to be within City limits?

To maintain crowd levels it has to be in the City or on the boundry similar to Brandon, inside the City would improve crowds im sure.