British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

I can't see any mileage in opposing the sale of the stadium or future use of the site. Best bet is to put our trust in Sandhu. Surprised no one is mentioning Ryton / Tollbar on the opposite side to the car factory site. Think motocross operates there and there is also a scrap merchants. Still within Rugby borough and has the advantage of not being too near many Rugby borough electors. Any new location would need to be within the city limits or around the Eastern Bypass (which covers the likes of Rolls Royce and Ryton) or near to J3 in the borough of Nuneaton & Bedworth. Having said that there is an ideal arena for speedway ten miles south of the city centre - the Royal Showground at Stoneleigh. (For people who don,t know it,s a carbon copy of the E.of Es at P,boro) but it's covered by a Tory council in a very middle class area. You might think the Royal Agricultural society would welcome the extra revenue it would generate though.

The MX track is strangled with restrictions , something that was never a problem at Brandon Due to the legacy Charles Ochiltree left , but will be at any new site

Apparently its against FL rules these days and the club should keep well away from Sisu. Also this new stadium for CCFC will never happen.

Ground sharing is possible. See below for email from me to the Football League and the reply I got back.

Nick,

Thank you for your email.

Please see regulations 13.4 and 13.5 here http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20130704/section-4-clubs_2293633_2125725.

As stated ground sharing will only be approved at the discretion of the Board. In all cases any proposal put forward by a member club would be considered under the regulations of The League.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret

Customer Services Officer

The Football League Limited

www.football-league.co.uk

Celebrating 125 years since it was formed in 1888 by its twelve founder members, The Football League is the world's original league football competition and is the template for leagues the world over. With 72 member clubs, it is also the largest single body of professional clubs in European football and is responsible for administering and regulating the Sky Bet Football League, Capital One Cup and Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, as well as reserve and youth football. To find out more click here.

The Football League Ltd. Registered Office - Edward VII Quay, Navigation Way, Preston PR2 2YF. Registered No: 80612. Tel: 0844 463 1888. Fax: 0844 826 5188.

London Office - 30 Gloucester Place, London, W1U 8FL. Tel: 0844 826 3099

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/football_league

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message from your computer and any copies. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is forbidden. Any views set out in this e-mail are the views of the individual sending it, and not the views of The Football League Limited unless otherwise stated. This e-mail should not be seen as forming a legally binding contract unless otherwise stated. Although we believe this e-mail and any attachment are virus-free it is your responsibility to ensure this on receipt.

From: Nick Wellstead [mailto:nick@utilityadvicebureau.co.uk]

Sent: 25 February 2014 15:51

To: enquiries

Subject: Ground Sharing

Hi

Would you allow ground sharing with a speedway club i.e. speedway track running around the outside of the football pitch?

Regards

Nick Wellstead

Really can't see this working out as the place is too big. Some opposition fans already have a pop at Brandon being sparsely populated when in fact the attendances are quite healthy for Speedway these days but because the stadium holds over 12,000 people everyone is spread out. Anyway being selfish I'm hoping it comes to nothing because the Bees would be losing me as a fan. :cry:

A Leicester u21 game was played recently I think it was reported the costs of opening the arena was only £1,000 and a fee to hire.

Presumably the fee covers the cost of running the stadium. The question is of course, could the speedway afford the fee on a weekly basis?

Presumably the fee covers the cost of running the stadium. The question is of course, could the speedway afford the fee on a weekly basis?

It would be the rental figure that will be a stumbling block unless they think a move there can increase attendances significantly. I wonder what the figure is at Brandon?

Reported in the telegraph the greyhounds wont be returning as license has been revoked and they lost 500k in 2 years

The MX track is strangled with restrictions , something that was never a problem at Brandon Due to the legacy Charles Ochiltree left , but will be at any new site

What are the restrictions you refer to?

Lets not have any actual facts deny the small element of Leicester supporters who would wish to , their opportunity to gloat , leave them to enjoy their long held misconceptions until the realisation that losing the flagship stadium and club is bad news for all speedway fans, slaps them in the face like a ton of bricks

There is a God after all

Coventry City were offered the stadium free for a year then 100k a year for 2 years in rent. Newport were paying 67k when the Mallets took over so figures alone look do-able. But no idea what meeting running costs would be compared to other stadia. I do think the club could justify charging a couple of pound more to attend tough if the meetings are going to take place in a proper stadium rather than the glorified field most clubs race in.

Coventry City were offered the stadium free for a year then 100k a year for 2 years in rent. Newport were paying 67k when the Mallets took over so figures alone look do-able. But no idea what meeting running costs would be compared to other stadia. I do think the club could justify charging a couple of pound more to attend tough if the meetings are going to take place in a proper stadium rather than the glorified field most clubs race in.

That sounds like a perfectly achievable figure, especially if that stadium could also host FIM and national events.

That sounds like a perfectly achievable figure, especially if that stadium could also host FIM and national events.

. . . and become the National Speedway Stadium - central location, surrounded by motorways and carparking - ideal - bring it on!

• Like 2

Would love to see Cov find a new venue,but for me the overriding fact would it be viable.

Sandu has admitted in the past that he wasnt making any money out of speedway,and by the time he has purchased a plot of land,and then put everthing together building a new stadium,how much is it going to cost.

Dont know the attendance figures for last season at Brandon,but at an estimate of 1500/2000,its going to take an awfully long time to claw back his investment.

Has he got the time and patience,or indeed the money,to carry out this objective.

Would love to see Cov find a new venue,but for me the overriding fact would it be viable.

Sandu has admitted in the past that he wasnt making any money out of speedway,and by the time he has purchased a plot of land,and then put everthing together building a new stadium,how much is it going to cost.

Dont know the attendance figures for last season at Brandon,but at an estimate of 1500/2000,its going to take an awfully long time to claw back his investment.

Has he got the time and patience,or indeed the money,to carry out this objective.

I thought Mr Horton is the promoter? Or is Mr Horton the manager of the team? Mr Sandhu must be receiving rent if Mr Horton is the promoter. Mr Sandhu is a businessman he must be getting something out of owning a stadium, but now wants to cash in his chips, as he has likely received an offer he can't refuse. If the sale value is substantial, he might be in a position to use part of it to relocate the activities. However, we need to know the figures otherwise the debate is, virtually, meaningless.

Much will depend on how much it will all costs. How much did it cost Leicester for there site and stadium? A gradual build of the stadium will probably be the way to go.