British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

Steve, the problem I'd that Brandon is full of history and me and my family have many many great memories.. However.

To attract new fans to the sport and keep the ones we have I think a move isn't the end of the world. In 10 years time the place would need almost a complete make-over. The terraces are dangerous in places and I can't sit in the stand because the seats are that close it isn't comfortable.

Did anybody expect Sandhu to come out and say I will 100% find you a location and finance a new stadium?? We can look at the situation half empty and look at the negatives and what's all wrong with all this or we look at it half full and work together and do all we can to ensure our speedway club continues.

He is a businessman, but the Emil deal wasn't cheap was it I bet, the money spent on Brandon and I think in previous years it was Coventry who were mainly buying riders and then the hassle over Hamill and Hancock going to Oxford on loan etc. He has by far put his money into Speedway for what return??

And I'd go for Olsen way and house number 5, think it would be by the first bend if I ask nicely enough.

• Like 1

As an off the wall diversion, a few friends were having a discussion this afternoon and we wondered what reson was there for Coventry adopting The Bees teaam name.

As an off the wall diversion, a few friends were having a discussion this afternoon and we wondered what reson was there for Coventry adopting The Bees teaam name.

One reason could be it isn't or wasn't Cov it was allways Brandon Bees so that seems to go together

Maybe you can purchase one of the houses he builds - if you trust him that much. He might even let you choose which bend of the track for your plot. He is a businessman and, like all businessmen, he will do what is right for him.

I do hope that Coventry continue at Brandon though as there is a lot of history at that venue.

Coventry continues at Brandon or not at all , The only site that will not have nimbies ,who in this day and age always get their way ,is in the middle of the Sahara desert ,even then some do gooder would be complaining that the noise of people enjoying themselves is upsetting the sand !!. If Brandon is lost then it's the end of the road .

they were originally brandon bees, because there was already a coventry team, until it folded.

back in the day when we had two teams, now we are looking at none!

yes we know its tired and needs lots of work, but lets not forget the history, move to a farmers field and its gone overnight.

i used to go to highfield road every home game, lots of great memories, they moved to the ricoh it was a "memory desert", only went a couple of times after that

Speedibee I totally agree with your post, are correct in your saying that, why move from brandon. Do not trust sandhu. I think He's going to be pulling the wool over all the Coventry bees eyes if they believe his so called story about finding a new piece of land and a new stadium. Complete rubbish, the sooner people realise that the better, stay put and stay at brandon. Otherwise your Your have nothing at all.

i used to go to highfield road every home game, lots of great memories, they moved to the ricoh it was a "memory desert", only went a couple of times after that

So I take it Six Fields is out then phil.....

Sad to say that I agree with speedibee and if Brandon goes then I don't think they could get somewhere else within 3 years so the end of the road for speedway in Coventry. :sad: The stadium may be run down but it still has a lot of history and compared to other tracks and their facilities it's one of the better ones. Would be a tragedy for it to disappear.

It amuses me people call the stadium run down and call for a new stadium. A new "stadium" will in all likely hood be a track in a field. Then moan about the lack of fresh paint and the crumbling terracing because there will be nothing to paint and no terracing to crumble!

Brandon is still one of the best stadiums in British Speedway.

It's ok being positive but when was the last time a speedway club successfully moved to a new stadium? The last time a club moved to a purpose built stadium? it just doesn't happen. Glasgow have moved a couple of times, BV moved 20 years ago (but even that was only over the road). Other than that? The clubs best chance of survival is to fight to stay where it is.

Ask Reading how the move is going.

Ask Exeter how the move is going.

Ask Leicester how long it took.

Ask Newport how long it took.

Two of them no longer exist, 2 of them took 20-odd years to move.

Edited by SCB

I'm glad you didn't just stop there but went on to be a bit more sympathetic because nothing annoys me more than Leicester fans being pleased at the demise of Coventry. As Speedway fans we shouldn't want to see the loss of any track, particularly a Midlands one. The closure of the Blackbird Road Stadium, and I had been a fan since 1949, was heartbreaking but Charles Ochiltree only played a minor role and it wasn't him that decided Leicester had to go but the directors of Midland Sports Stadiums. Consequently it really irritates me that some fans bear a grudge all these years later when it has been nothing to do with the last three promotions at Brandon.

The whole thing seemed a bit strange to me but Martin Rogers has stated he knew nothing about it so I've got to believe him. That final meeting just fizzled out with no 'Goodbyes, see you next season' from the riders, which always previously happened. Was there even a fireworks display? I can't remember if there was but it was a very unusual end to the season.

I am pleased you recognised my comments in context and I entirely agree with you that the loss of any speedway venue is bad news. To lose one with the history of Coventry/Brandon is one of the worst types. but it is not the death bell.

However, Coventry & speedway fans need to face up to the fact that in three years there will be no more speedway at Brandon. I am pretty sure Sandhu will also move away from the sport - he already has distanced himself from actual promoting. what is important is that Coventry suppoters establish a workable & ethical committee to work independently alongside any new prospective promoters and maybe, there will be a new venue in place (which Sandhu may even develop for a fee) within the next three years.

I am sure everybody at Leicester would wish to see you succeed.

• Like 1

Wasn't it the Brandon B's and then later known as the Bees, and then Coventry B's or Bees, I think something like that.

Wasn't it the Brandon B's and then later known as the Bees, and then Coventry B's or Bees, I think something like that.

My recollection of The name . was that it started as the Brandon bees . but then the name Coventry came into the Equation on stickers badges etc . it was Coventry Speedway "The Brandon Bees"

It amuses me people call the stadium run down and call for a new stadium. A new "stadium" will in all likely hood be a track in a field. Then moan about the lack of fresh paint and the crumbling terracing because there will be nothing to paint and no terracing to crumble!

It's ok being positive but when was the last time a speedway club successfully moved to a new stadium? The last time a club moved to a purpose built stadium? it just doesn't happen. Glasgow have moved a couple of times, BV moved 20 years ago (but even that was only over the road). Other than that? The clubs best chance of survival is to fight to stay where it is.

Sorry to be pedantic, but isn't it 3 no longer exist?

Sorry to be pedantic, but isn't it 3 no longer exist?

TBF, in this context it took them 20-odd years to return. They dont exist now because the promoter burn down the stadium and sold out to a haulage firm. Nothing to do with moving.

You cannot count Leicester as moving really , the speedway closed down and for 28 years there was no speedway in Leicester , but for the efforts of one man there would still be no speedway In Leicester , (That's not Hemsley by the way and it's another story ). but they didn't so much move , after 28 years it was more like start up again .