British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

All hail the great Mr Sandhu :rolleyes:

The late John Berry predicted this scenario in Backtrack a few years ago. And, to be fair, the place has been for sale for very many years back to the Ochiltree family. A bad day for Coventry and for speedway.

It's going to happen sooner or later and the stadium would get into a state of serious repair and tlc. However with the heart ruling the head Brandon is the home of the Bees and I really hope we stick it out as long as we can. I hope Mr Sandhu has put things in place to protect speedway as he said he would.

Is he a man of his word and be remembered as the owner who gave us great teams in 2005, 2007 and 2010 to name a few or will he be remembered as the man who sold us down the river? I have my idea. I still can't see it being easy to get housing on a big scale on that land but what do I know. Fingers crossed for a positive statement from Sandhu or do we start the new season with yet again speedway taking a back seat.

Speedway and Stock Cars will most probably be safe for this season whilst any relevant planning permission is sought...as for 2015 and beyond, well, fingers crossed..

We dont even know who the owners are yet, they might want to redevelop the stadium for all we know. Planning will take a long time for houses if thats what they want to do as Sandhu knows himself as its one of the reason for him to sell.

• Like 1

No, all hail Matt Ford who drove Sandhu out of the sport and as many said at the time could well have caused the demise of one of the sports biggest clubs.

Oh rubbish Bwitcher, how the hell did Matt Ford drive Sandhu out of the sport? Surely, Sandhu is big enough and ugly enough to know his own mind.

could I ask a question? Would it be difficult to get planning permission while speedway and stocks are still running at the site?? I ask because a few years back some people bought a local pub in a small village, they wanted to knock it down and build houses on the land. If I remember correctly they were not allowed to do it straight away, they had to close the pub for a few years, then seek planning for houses, it was something to do with change of use on the land? Would this not also apply to Brandon?

It might help, it may not, to know that developers own most of the land surrounding urban conurbations. The whole green stuff surrounding Sutton coldfield, farmed by farmers for centuries have been owned by developers and speculators since brick built houses were invented. The land is leased off until eventually planning concent is given. It could go one of two ways, Oxford or be permanently leased like lots of other land.

He formulated some rules to shaft Cove...............oh why bother, you really haven't a clue.

And by the sounds of it, neither have you..

• Like 5

Oh look who's here sticking the knife in? :rolleyes::icon_smile_clown:

This is a discussion forum and I have opinion - not that anything I said can be taken literally as sticking any knife in!

BTW - what has it to do with you? :rolleyes:

This is a discussion forum and I have opinion - not that anything I said can be taken literally as sticking any knife in!

What has what go to do with me? :rolleyes:

Or it was a reasonable rent, and the club thought they could bankrupt the owners and take over the stadium for a song?

Surely the football club knew what rent they'd be paying before they moved into the new stadium, and before they sold their own stadium?

But now the owners have a stadium sitting there bringing in little or nothing, surely something is better than nothing.

They don't call him Jim Bowie for nought 😉

Who's Jim Bowie?

Dave's brother

• Like 2