British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

Who's Got The Best Reserve?

Garrity is the best reserve by a long stretch. Kerr is second IMO.

Not sure what the Josh Bates hype is to be honest, lots of people rate him, I've never seen him do anything to merit that. If Lee Smart is anywhere near his previous best then Poole would be crazy to contemplate replacing him with Bates if the rumour mill is to be believed.

It's between Coventry and Kings Lynn for the best reserve pairing I think, Sarjeant is a very good rider and should really have had more opportunities by now. The thought of him and Garrity pairing up in two heats should be an exciting one for Bees fans.

In no particular order;

Garrity

Newman

Kerr

I think those three stand out from the rest.

When the riders have been chosen a signed to a team, unles they are ill or injured then they should be made or should I say the team management should be made to keep the riders they have got.

There should be no swopping and changing just because the team in question dosen't like what they have ended up with.

If this is the case then it will be a free for all with the teams with the most money and power can go and change the 2 reserves to 2 more or are better.

Not fair. It was all done and dusted when the teams got thier 2 riders. Looks like some and it is not many maybe just one team who have spit the dummy.

As I say the should be made to retain the 2 riders that they now have until the season ends. Unless there are injuries. Which I just hope dosen't happen. But in this sport it is all part of the game.

• Like 4

Tough then.

No doubt the manipulation will soon begin though.

Quite.

Before the draft picks we were told that one of the conditions was that riders had to agree to ride wherever they were chosen to go. And then when Bates was signed by Sheffield that he was going to struggle to get to Swindon every week anyway without Birks to hitch a lift with.

In other words a load of beau locks once again.

When the riders have been chosen a signed to a team, unles they are ill or injured then they should be made or should I say the team management should be made to keep the riders they have got.

There should be no swopping and changing just because the team in question dosen't like what they have ended up with.

If this is the case then it will be a free for all with the teams with the most money and power can go and change the 2 reserves to 2 more or are better.

Not fair. It was all done and dusted when the teams got thier 2 riders. Looks like some and it is not many maybe just one team who have spit the dummy.

As I say the should be made to retain the 2 riders that they now have until the season ends. Unless there are injuries. Which I just hope dosen't happen. But in this sport it is all part of the game.

The idea of incorporating the draft riders it the league was sound. Like you say, when the riders have been assigned to a team then it has to be for the whole season. I was under the impression that in the case, when replacement riders were sought to cover injuries, then they are done so, from the pool of standby Draft Riders who had qualified through the same procedure as was originally stated, but weren't chosen.

If teams can pick any 'Tom, Dick or Harry' to change their allotted rider then the Scheme goes up in smoke and becomes a complete waste of time and effort.........

• Like 3

Bates had an EL space, he has chosen not to take it, therefore he should not be put on the reserve list. Other riders who chose against being part of the draft have not been added to the reserve list so why should a rider that has been given a space and then decided he doesn't want it be given another shot.

• Like 4

Bates had an EL space, he has chosen not to take it, therefore he should not be put on the reserve list. Other riders who chose against being part of the draft have not been added to the reserve list so why should a rider that has been given a space and then decided he doesn't want it be given another shot.

Had Bates had chosen to be a Draft rider, he would have assigned a position in the pecking order where other teams had to the opportunity to choose. Having turned that down, he cannot now come in and choose where he wants to ride.

What a mockery that would make...........

Garrity is streets ahead of any of the others. Lee Smart isn't the same rider as he was before his arm injury. James Sarjeant will be fine if he can keep his composure, Ash Morris is a rider who will benefit from having ridden Wolves for a while.

For me, Coventry and Birmingham have the best pairings. Garrity will be pretty untouchable at reserve, whereas if Starke can continue his form, and Lambert can rediscover his, they will be a good pairing. Weakest for me is either Lakeside, BV or Swindon. I think Morley at Lakeside is one of the weaker riders from the draft, with the same said about Richings at Swindon. Nielsen is exciting, but has had some stinkers with machinery, with Ben Reade coming off a season lost to injury for BV.

The idea of incorporating the draft riders it the league was sound. Like you say, when the riders have been assigned to a team then it has to be for the whole season. I was under the impression that in the case, when replacement riders were sought to cover injuries, then they are done so, from the pool of standby Draft Riders who had qualified through the same procedure as was originally stated, but weren't chosen.

If teams can pick any 'Tom, Dick or Harry' to change their allotted rider then the Scheme goes up in smoke and becomes a complete waste of time and effort.........

The draft riders were drawn/selected, subject to availability and fixture clashes. Bates could hardly ride for 2 Thursday tracks (Swindon and Sheffield) so requested that Swindon release him - which they were more than prepared to do - and he became available to be signed for any other EL club, subject to his availability!

The draft riders were drawn/selected, subject to availability and fixture clashes. Bates could hardly ride for 2 Thursday tracks (Swindon and Sheffield) so requested that Swindon release him - which they were more than prepared to do - and he became available to be signed for any other EL club, subject to his availability!

Then don't sign for a 2nd Thursday track then. By doing so, Bates has reneged on his agreement as a draft rider and accordingly should be given another opportunity this season.

Edited as that should say.. "Should NOT" be given another opportunity!

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

I think you meant to say available to sign for Poole - who were never going to be happy with Lee Smart even though a wheel hasn't been turned. I think the rules should be if you select a draft rider - you are stuck for the duration. After all, it won't help their development to be dumped at the drop of a hat. Oh! Wait a minute, it's Poole I'm talking about :wink:

• Like 1

I would suggest that Swindon released Josh purely for the young lad's best interests - so fair play to Swindon..

Agree with Steve0's post (above) re the movement of draft riders but ultimately would hardly be surprised if Poole are cheating up to their usual shenanigans so soon :nono:

• Like 1

It's far more important for Bates to ride in the PL than the EL, so it was good of Swindon to release him to ride for Sheffield. It's unfair to suggest he has "reneged" on the agreement. The whole point of this new ruling is to help young Brits develop (as well as reduce costs, LOL).

Of course, it all now hinges on whether the EL teams play an active and supporting role in the development of even more young British riders, to keep the draft moving along. If they don't then it will all fall apart quickly.

• Like 1

So if Kyle Newman signs for a Wednesday EL club (or takes up knitting and goes to Wednesday night knitting) he can join Coventry then? Result.