Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tellboy

Kings Lynn V Zielona Gora 19/03/14

The new format looks great initially as it will keep meetings more competitive. But thinking about it a little by what you just said, come August the league could become very very mismatched. There will be 2nd string riders with higher averages than the genuine heatleaders. That means they'll be moved into one of the top 3 team spots and potentially a World class rider will be placed against reserves at 2 or 4.

Why/how 'reserves at 2 or 4?' Do you mean 'reserve standard riders' at 2 or 4?? If so, then that's one of the drawbacks of going with a strong top end!! Otherwise, reserves will stay at 6 and 7 for the season!!!

Why/how 'reserves at 2 or 4?' Do you mean 'reserve standard riders' at 2 or 4?? If so, then that's one of the drawbacks of going with a strong top end!! Otherwise, reserves will stay at 6 and 7 for the season!!!

I said genuine heatleaders could move to 2 or 4 and be up against reserves because the 2nd strings will obtain a higher average due to the easier rides they'll be facing during meetings

• Like 2

The new format looks great initially as it will keep meetings more competitive. But thinking about it a little by what you just said, come August the league could become very very mismatched. There will be 2nd string riders with higher averages than the genuine heatleaders. That means they'll be moved into one of the top 3 team spots and potentially a World class rider will be placed against reserves at 2 or 4.

This is what we first discussed back in November when the protected heat format was first announced. It was always going to produce that situation.

Because the heat leaders have a harder program then that of the 2nd strings their CMA was always going to suffer. When I have brought up I have been ridiculed making out I was creating a problem that doesn't exist.

You mention the period of August when the quality of riders will move about in different team positions as their new CMA required, but just imagine next year when Promoter have to assemble a team using these new acquired Averages. We will have heat leaders on ridiculously low scores and 2nd string riders with fictitious high scores and cant find a ride... Talk about a fiasco.....

My thoughts and post were similar to yours GWR but cannot waste the time going back through the new format thread to find it. I have no idea how they will sort out the team limit and teams next year as there will be a number of unrealistic averages. What will be interesting will be seeing the likes of Chris Harris, Ben Barker and other 3rd placed heat leaders racing as second strings against the reserves. Will the second strings at the end of the season be wanting to reduce their averages.

Edited by A ORLOV

The rider average conversion factors between the leagues might need revisiting too.

Jo Jacobs could have a high average for Mildenhall, his next highest league average could be for Wolves and his lowest average for Peterborough.

Aren't Bomber and Barker second strings anyway? ;)

Aren't Bomber and Barker second strings anyway? ;)

No,they are both 2nd in there averages for their respective teams.

Don't know if I have missed the point here,but reserves do stay as reserves for the season don't they :unsure:

Don't know if I have missed the point here,but reserves do stay as reserves for the season don't they :unsure:

The point being made is, the reserves, in order to ensure there aren't big mismatches are to be protected from racing against the top 2 riders on each team.

With the way the format is, the teams 2nd strings, i.e. riders at 2 and 4 could well move up to heat leader positions and 2nd and 3rd heat leaders could move to 2 and 4.. thus then meaning they are up against the NL reserves and the mismatch that the format was designed to avoid will take place.

I just hope there aren't any teams dumb enough to drop heat leaders half way/three quarters through the season who are averaging a lot less than their average (due to the format) and effectively giving certain other clubs an opportunity to sign them in place of their own second strings who have increased their averages.

Surely the BSPA will have the averages in hand, they aren't stupid!?

Right.........so about King's Lynn v Zielona Gora then ;)

There's a 20 min highlight package of the meeting posted on ZG's YouTube channel -

I went to this meeting on Wednesday and it's great to watch it back again, enjoyed watching it as much as I did on Wednesday night. Highlight without doubt was seeing Lewis Kerr win his race, what a feeling it must of been for the young lad.

Exactly the reasons for the draft, for reserve rides to hopefully score points above 'better' riders in the main body of the team, thus giving them confidence and becoming better speedway riders.

Certainly hope this draft system works out as I think it really can be a great idea for British speedway development.