British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stratton

What Are People's Hopes For The New Season.?

To see Poole win nothing, finish 5th after clinging onto 4th all season.

Preferably as a result of a dodgy rain-off decision after heat 12 causing then to lose a crucial match by 1 point :wink:

More seriously I would like to see all clubs manage to break-even financially, and if it is to be Peter Karlssons last season (which seems quite likely) I just want to be there to see him score one last quality maximum.

• Like 6

A rule that has good intentions (suits certain parties) that has not been properly thought out.I didn't realise with the amount of comments made on here how many people think crowds could go down because of it.If say you had one reserve a Brit at the level of Kerr, Garrity,Ellis, Lambert,(ect) it could of worked having two is pushing it a bit we shall see.

Me personally think crowds have a chance to build. For once there looks to be about 1-7 teams chasing 4tg spot. Can only be good for the sport.

I just want a injury free season and for belle Vue to at least achieve the play offs

The idea of the draft is good. Just the actual planning of it is poor. Birks, Auty and Roynon missing out on top 5 places is a joke. While they prob wont ever be world beaters, these 3 will go further in the sport than 95 % of the NL riders. If it had been 1 NL and 1 British rider similar to the standard of those 3 then no one will be complaining. Ive been saying for years teams should have British reserves.

With regards to the mighty Robins, it has to be the play offs again. If Morris carries on his development of the 2nd half of last season then we are laughing. Just cant see past a Poole/ KL tho final barring any major injuries.

Good thread Sidney, many interesting issues.

On a personal note, I think all the rules and ideas are directed to keeping what dwindling support there is, rather then appealing to extra Joe public. Once we had massive support because the sport was directed to the supporter, now it all about club survival and keeping the star riders happy.

Like you, I too think the Draft was a good idea, but badly implemented. and the subsequent protected heat format makes the whole spectacle a joke.

If a NL rider is going to be a match winners, Surely they will want more money, plus the high demands of the star riders will have to be questioned, specially when his scores will be significantly smaller . Just two issues that could pop-up in the near future.

As for Lynn this year, I am very optimistic. We have acquired a decent team thanks to Buster running a NL team. We have benefitted this year from the time and effort put in with these young British riders, and hopefully this will bear fruit this year. I can see the Stars being very strong at home, and also capable of a few successes away.

We start the campaign as a good team, and I hope we finish as a team. If that means we miss out again so be it. The harm it does to the riders confidence when dropped and replaced must be tremendous.

Obviously I would love to see them crowned Elite League Champions. But we must do it right, we do it as a team, a team that everyone can relate too.......

I'm sure then the crowds at the Norfolk Arena would be replenished to their former splendour.

The idea of the draft is good. Just the actual planning of it is poor. Birks, Auty and Roynon missing out on top 5 places is a joke. While they prob wont ever be world beaters, these 3 will go further in the sport than 95 % of the NL riders. If it had been 1 NL and 1 British rider similar to the standard of those 3 then no one will be complaining. Ive been saying for years teams should have British reserves.

I doubt it - Auty has peaked as a PL heat leader (he was the Brummies reserve for two years but never improved), sadly the other two have peaked due to injury.

Belle vue to finish in the top half of the table for a change and a nice dry summer will make me happy.

Hope for no serious injuries, good weather, good crowds, good racing, Swindon shafting everyone else, Batch, Killer, Morra, Gusto, and the Klindtmeister, in the top 20 averages, and most important pay the riders on time, otherwise the fans that pay their hard-earned cash are being let down, as happened last year, with riders not trying. Like to see local Purton rider Darryl Ritchings do well, Swindon always had good crop of local riders years ago. Was talking to Gary Wooster of Lower Stratton Service Station, ex-mechanic for local ex-Robins Mad Wellie, Ashby, Kilby, etc., still runs an ad in the programme, but hasn't been to Blunsdon for years, lost interest when all the foreign mercenaries started coming in and racenight changed from Saturday to Thursdays.

Loads of people in the town still show an interest in the team, but not so many go now with cost and foreign riders being the main reason cited for non-attendance. At least the reserves are English.

Be good to see Brits doing well and TW being world champion again. Well-balanced teams would be good with no cannon fodder. And no rule-bending by certain teams.

Good thread Sidney, many interesting issues.

On a personal note, I think all the rules and ideas are directed to keeping what dwindling support there is, rather then appealing to extra Joe public. Once we had massive support because the sport was directed to the supporter, now it all about club survival and keeping the star riders happy.

So watering the league down year on year is directed at keeping the dwindling support there is?? The changes are aimed at saving money - charge the same for less - it has been that way for some time now and the dwindling support is rightly doing just that - dwindling! As the phrase goes - you reap what you sow and unless they look at the value for money element, support will continue to fall until speedway is a more insignificant sport in the UK than it currently is!

• Like 2

I doubt it - Auty has peaked as a PL heat leader (he was the Brummies reserve for two years but never improved), sadly the other two have peaked due to injury.

Cant agree with that JJ i totally agree with the coombdog a disgrace that all have been denied a chance as they are all good anough for the EL.JJ have a look in Auty,s first year at Brum he put well over 1.5 points on his average.Ok last year was disappointing for Josh but if you look in both seasons he did ok in the top 5 i was more disappointed in him when he was at reserve but in the overall shape of the Brum team he still chipped in with points.Adam what can you say bloody unlucky, thats it but he has rebuilt before i hope he gets his confidence and he has the ability.Ashley i liked him last year he struggled at the abbey mainly through lack of meetings but away at times he really impressed me.And Ash has done brilliantly well to come back as quickly as this it shows how fit he must of been slowly slowly for him but i think he will be ok in time i really hope so i enjoyed watching him for Swindon last year.It is great for these draft riders to get a chance and i hope it works out for them but Auty,Roynon,Birks have been badly let down in my opinion.

My hopes for the season:

To start the season

and

to finish the season

Simple.

For the best team to be crowned league champions not the team that makes numerous changes and creeps in in 4th place.

For the league to be won fairly i.e no iffy call offs, no riders laying on the track to get points for examples.

If Poole win the league properly for a change then i would be the first to congratulate them.

For the best team to be crowned league champions not the team that makes numerous changes and creeps in in 4th place.

For the league to be won fairly i.e no iffy call offs, no riders laying on the track to get points for examples.

If Poole win the league properly for a change then i would be the first to congratulate them.

How about this then..............1951, 1952, 1955, 1961, 1962, 1969, 1994, 2003, 2004, 2008 & don't forget 2010 & 2012 when Pirates were TOP of the league & had our title snatched from us!!!!!

Pirates EL champions 2014....you read it here first... :cheers:

• Like 1

Great weather, great racing on great tracks, big crowds, a competitive and fiercely fought EL, deserving Champions, the draft rider rule to be a success (despite my doubts), limited R/R and financial prosperity for all will do for starters...