British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyE

Lakeside Hammers V Swindon Robins Ela 28 March

As an ex wimbledon fan i attend four 'local' tracks now that one of my other regular venues the IOW has closed. Out of rye, kent, eastbourne and lakeside, the home of the hammers is the hardest for me to motivate myself to go to. It's difficult to get to from south london and standing on a grass bank for a couple of hours gets harder as i get older. I think The lack of facilities at most speedway tracks puts a lot of people off from attending.

I used to go to Lakeside but since the "Kings" formed this is where I watch Speedway.Much better facilities and easier journey as well as being in the "Garden of England". :lol: .Saying all that I would have gone tonight but for a Birthday bash that was organised a while ago. :lol: Will be close,but Lakeside by 8 points.

How do you think clubs would be able to let all their fans know of any clashes?

Not the whole season I know but at least a few days before their meetings take place on their own club web-sites seems easy enough to me rather than the day of the meeting.

It can't be that hard surely?.

Not the whole season I know but at least a few days before their meetings take place on their own club web-sites seems easy enough to me rather than the day of the meeting.

It can't be that hard surely?.

What about fans who don't have a computer / iphone etc and have never used any such device? How would clubs be able to inform them?

Edited by Bryn

What about fans who don't have a computer / iphone etc and have never used any such device? How would clubs be able to inform them?

That does count for the majority of the fans though Bryn & the local papers are there as well.

I assume season ticket holders/sponsors can be texted/messaged with any news?

LakesideLive do a great job on facebook/twitter!!

That does count for the majority of the fans though Bryn & the local papers are there as well.

Not all clubs have a 'local' daily newspaper though do they? And as for those fans (including yourself) why not do as I do and work it out for yourself by looking at the EL & PL official team line ups and upcoming fixtures on the BSPA website? With respect you appear to just want everything served up on a plate for you! :wink:

Not all clubs have a 'local' daily newspaper though do they? And as for those fans (including yourself) why not do as I do and work it out for yourself by looking at the EL & PL official team line ups and upcoming fixtures on the BSPA website? With respect you appear to just want everything served up on a plate for you! :wink:

I've ran a business & know how important to keep your customers happy & that is why I say what I say & has nothing to do with me wanting it served up on a plate.

If you knew me then you'd know that isn't the case at all but guess how I post it is mis-read & that's my fault.

I've ran a business & know how important to keep your customers happy & that is why I say what I say & has nothing to do with me wanting it served up on a plate.

If you knew me then you'd know that isn't the case at all but guess how I post it is mis-read & that's my fault.

No worries CR, I wasn't intentionally 'having a go' at you personally but trying to get over the point that I believe that whilst all clubs do their best to get as much information as possible out to the public it's not always possible to do so instantaneously as the demands of today's internet-orientated culture seems to expect.

Anyway enough of that, back to tonight's match which I'm personally looking forward to. I'm just across the Thames from Purfleet and the weather's fine & dry. According to the Met Office the min temp this evening between 8pm and 10pm will be 46F.

If it's anything like last night, wrap up warm, still trying to defrost!

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message including your mobile number.

Thanks

They should know the day before if there are any clashes except the odd one surely? Putting the team line ups on the official website is a minimum a club should do.

Edited by liam

No worries CR, I wasn't intentionally 'having a go' at you personally but trying to get over the point that I believe that whilst all clubs do their best to get as much information as possible out to the public it's not always possible to do so instantaneously as the demands of today's internet-orientated culture seems to expect.

Anyway enough of that, back to tonight's match which I'm personally looking forward to. I'm just across the Thames from Purfleet and the weather's fine & dry. According to the Met Office the min temp this evening between 8pm and 10pm will be 46F.

I have to disagree with you on the "instantaneous" bit. It IS possible (and easy) to get a message out quickly and instantaneously and people just need to embrace technology. Let's say a promoter makes a decision to cancel a meeting and they send a tweet - that can appear on Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites for people to read.

I have to disagree with you on the "instantaneous" bit. It IS possible (and easy) to get a message out quickly and instantaneously and people just need to embrace technology. Let's say a promoter makes a decision to cancel a meeting and they send a tweet - that can appear on Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites for people to read.

My last post on this aspect as this thread is about tonight's meeting but as I've said before, not ALL fans have internet access and for those who do, many club's 'website updater(s)' may do so as well has holding down a full time job elsewhere or maybe might be shopping, out driving a vehicle or whatever which may prevent them getting particular news items on-line immediately. And Liam, the seven riders for the two teams tonight are on the official Vortex Hammers website so cannot see a problem!

Edited by Bryn

I don't have a problem just agreeing witb fans that can access there clubs official website should know which riders are racing. I've seen the lakeside page so iam happy. Anyway looking forward to the meeting and hope we start with a win. Really looking forward to seeing Bech.

Edited by liam
  • Like 1

5pm WEATHER UPDATE:

Fine and dry and no problems with meeting going ahead.

So many unknowns going into this match although thankfully as Bryn says the weather is not one of them (phew)

No idea how this is going to pan out, seldom have i looked forward to a season opener and yet felt such trepidation as i do today and yet at the same time we wont really be able to read too much into the result whatever it happens to be because its early days and it takes time for riders to find there feet again and adjust to any new equipement brought over the winter.

PK is my favourite rider though so i hope its vintage stuff from him or should that be youthful stuff ;-) but also looking forward to seeing how Mikkel can fair against the likes of Kildeman and Batchelor, could be a case of all eyes on him and someone else pops up and steals the show?