Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

Coventry V Birmingham, 28 Mar 14

Visited Stadium yesterday spoke with a member of staff who freely spoke with me he explained the problems of maintaining a good Speedway track. Apparently until this season most tracks sourced their shale from the Leeds area which for some reason is not available this year. The explanation is that the shale used in speedway is made up of stone chippings and clay. When I visited they had relayed the inside of the first bend and were in the process of adding more of the fine stone to the track which is hoped will sort the whole problem out. The staff member also explained that the new Curator is Polish but comes with a full speedway background and much experience in preparing the Polish Grand Prix circuits and the problems are not his fault and should be left to do his job. It was also explained that it is hoped if the weather is OK Friday's meeting should go ahead. Personally I think that Mick Horton and team have had a very difficult start to the season with three matches called off through no fault of his own, we should draw a line and hopefully get the season going with a win over the Brummies and set the season hoping?as stated elsewhere a new load of dressing has been delivered.

Thanks abbo for keeping us upto date

To have such a public spat does no one any good whatsoever and makes the club look terrible.

It least their reputation isnt as bad as Poole

• Like 5

Weather now looks slighty better. Fingers crossed.

Yep tomorrow looks like a dry day apart from a shower in the afternoon, yesterday it was forecast rain all day so a big change. Hopefully the rest of today can be dry.

COVENTRY want to put a traumatic start to the season behind them when they launch their Elite League campaign against Birmingham at Brandon on Friday (7.30pm).
The club do intend for the meeting to go ahead, with track work having taken place at the stadium this week, and are now counting on some much-needed help from the weather gods.
Speedway and stadium bosses will be in contact in the build-up to the meeting, and should the situation change this will be communicated immediately.
The match itself is an exciting prospect with the Buildbase Bees being strongly tipped for a play-off challenge this season.
The annual survey of journalists in Speedway Star magazine’s pre-season preview has placed Coventry third out of the ten competing teams, and clearly the winter team re-build has generated plenty of respect around the country.
The Elite League’s new race format will be in operation for the first time at Brandon, although Birmingham have experience of the changes as they have already raced in the top flight, having gone down to defeat at Wolverhampton on Monday.
Bees have elected to deploy Ryan Fisher with Hans Andersen in a strong-looking opening partnership, with skipper Chris Harris taking the No.5 riding position.
The Brummies make one change to their regular line-up, having called-up Coventry asset and last year’s Storm No.1 Joe Jacobs to guest for the unavailable Paul Starke, whilst Ben Barker and Edward Kennett provide them with plenty of additional Brandon experience.
Bees promoter Mick Horton said: “We can’t wait to get our team on track. We worked hard on building it over the winter, there is a good spirit there already and we know we have to get it right. Hopefully we can do just that against Birmingham.
“Obviously we are subject to the weather, and I know a lot of other matches have been called off this week, so we just have to keep our fingers crossed on that.”
A full second-half is also planned featuring the riders who will figure in the Mercia-Vikings team in the upcoming Midland Development League campaign.
BUILDBASE BEES: Hans Andersen, Ryan Fisher, Kenneth Hansen, Kyle Howarth, Chris Harris, Jason Garrity, James Sarjeant.
BIRMINGHAM: Danny King, Adam Skornicki, Ben Barker, Daniel Nermark, Edward Kennett, Simon Lambert, Joe Jacobs.

• Like 2

If on, then Bees by 12-15 points.

Using Jacobs as a guest is a good move for Birmingham but they will still struggle.

Looking forward to watching our side perform it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me. Having said that I dont think we will beat Birmingham by 20+, they have a few riders who go well around Brandon and Jacobs in as guest is a brilliant move by them. Think we will win by 12-14 points.

• Like 1

Starke riding for Somerset in a challenge rather than for Brum in a competitive fixture?

What a nonsense.

• Like 3

Starke riding for Somerset in a challenge rather than for Brum in a competitive fixture?

What a nonsense.

EL chose to have squads Pl don't so the right decision and thats why the PL is the best product and has been for several years. PL been propping up the EL for long enough.

Squads?

Official competition should take precedence over challenge matches every time. I would say the same if Kerr & Rose were turning out for Lynn in a challenge rather than Newcastle in a competitive meeting. Its common sense as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Hoping its sunny tomorrow as been horrible weather today, mix of sleet and rain

Hope if it is called off then its not too late in the day.

• Like 1

Hoping its sunny tomorrow as been horrible weather today, mix of sleet and rain

Hope if it is called off then its not too late in the day.

I'd imagine they would leave it late with it being a local derby?

Anyway after the fallout and subsequent make up I'm sure every effort will be made to get the meeting on and provide a good surface.

1,2,3,4 let me hear the Brandon ROAR!

Edited by Brandon

Surely if Barker has to ride for his EL club then so does Starke? Or vice-versa.