British Speedway Forum
Sophies Mate

Eastbourne V Birmingham 29/3/2014

So on the basis that Coventry own both Barker and Kennett then it seems the PL have first pick (whatever the fixture!!) and Plymouth were willing to release Barker for an official fixture but Rye House were not.

I agree with virtually all of the above posts.

I dread to think what we'll get on Good Friday - there won't be enough riders to go round!

Since when was Benji Compton in the draft? Or if a rider is mising can you use any NL rider as a guest?

So on the basis that Coventry own both Barker and Kennett then it seems the PL have first pick (whatever the fixture!!) and Plymouth were willing to release Barker for an official fixture but Rye House were not.

I agree with virtually all of the above posts.

I dread to think what we'll get on Good Friday - there won't be enough riders to go round!

I dread to think what will happen if we get a lot of rain offs, there will be even more fixture clashes.

Reserves aren't EL riders, that's the point.

The point is that this "Elite" League used to have Nicki Pedersen and Chris Holder...it now has Benji Compton and Daniel Halsey...two riders who are simple make-weights. They've been on the PL/NL circuit for the last 7-8 years. If they haven't "made it" in that time, they're not going to make it. No way are they Britains bright hopes, which is what the intention of the NL allocation in the teams were for.

How much is the admission price?

Benji Compton isn't even a decent national league rider.... probably the worst one out of the 'Elite' Picks. Still.... must be cheap.

The point is that this "Elite" League used to have Nicki Pedersen and Chris Holder...it now has Benji Compton and Daniel Halsey...two riders who are simple make-weights. They've been on the PL/NL circuit for the last 7-8 years. If they haven't "made it" in that time, they're not going to make it. No way are they Britains bright hopes, which is what the intention of the NL allocation in the teams were for.

When the EL used to have Pedersen I once attended an EL meeting at Eastbourne with Nicki Pedersen at 1 while in reserve they had Tom Hedley and Tom Brown at 6 and 7. So by Eastbourne standards the reserves are only slightly weaker!

We all know what the EL was and is. Yet it still contains the World Champion and 7 GP riders.

The draft system wasn't perfect and i agree there are riders included that perhaps shouldn't be.

But thank god the EL finally did something to help whilst the PL carry on employing foreigners to race in reserve berths.

The point really is if 1 or 2 each year make significant progress then the next 5 years time could be brighter on the World stage.

No idea what admission prices are for Eastbourne, but i`m sure they have a website to inform you.

• Like 2

We all know what the EL was and is. Yet it still contains the World Champion and 7 GP riders.

The draft system wasn't perfect and i agree there are riders included that perhaps shouldn't be.

But thank god the EL finally did something to help whilst the PL carry on employing foreigners to race in reserve berths.

The point really is if 1 or 2 each year make significant progress then the next 5 years time could be brighter on the World stage.

No idea what admission prices are for Eastbourne, but i`m sure they have a website to inform you.

Atleast some of the foreigners have a bit of talent though, and add something to the league. Lets face it, 10% of the current 'reserves' will make it in the Elite League, the rest wont make the cut IMO.

I'm baffled why no one rates Eastbourne higher. A couple of pundits even rank them bottom but that team could pull in nearly 50 points out of Arlington fixtures this year. Birmingham don't look great but look weaker still tonight. Hope the weather is as good down there as it is here and the fans turn out with all the points money Uncle Bob will be paying Eagles riders! 64 - 30 to Eastbourne.

• Like 1

Atleast some of the foreigners have a bit of talent though, and add something to the league. Lets face it, 10% of the current 'reserves' will make it in the Elite League, the rest wont make the cut IMO.

That`s debatable if they `add` anything to the league. IMHO our leagues should have ALL British reserves, that's the only way they will progress and so will our National chances for the future.

I agree, only a few will make the step up. We all accept that.

Its no difference to PL bringing in foreigner riders that mostly end up in the reserve berth once there assessed averages have been completed with a new one. You could say only 10% make the cut also.

Hi Easty fans how's the weather looking down there? Gonna be a huge home win I'm predicting both tactical rides taken by heat again again...

I'm normally quite positive but I'm really struggling this season already I know you will all laugh but I can't see us scoring more than 12-14 league points all season

Benji Compton isn't even a decent national league rider.... probably the worst one out of the 'Elite' Picks. Still.... must be cheap.

The Draft riders get the same rates.

That`s debatable if they `add` anything to the league. IMHO our leagues should have ALL British reserves, that's the only way they will progress and so will our National chances for the future.

I agree, only a few will make the step up. We all accept that.

Its no difference to PL bringing in foreigner riders that mostly end up in the reserve berth once there assessed averages have been completed with a new one. You could say only 10% make the cut also.

I suppose that's true, but regarding the foreigners in the Premier League at reserve, there really isn't that many compared to other years now, most are british. Fact is, there really wont EVER be enough good quality british riders to share around ALL the teams, so your always going to have teams then who are weakened through no fault of there own.

The Draft riders get the same rates.

I don't even think Compton is a draft rider, so hence the cheaper comment!

I suppose that's true, but regarding the foreigners in the Premier League at reserve, there really isn't that many compared to other years now, most are british. Fact is, there really wont EVER be enough good quality british riders to share around ALL the teams, so your always going to have teams then who are weakened through no fault of there own.

There wont ever be if we don't try to address the problem.

It would be a different matter if we can progress them thru all leagues and then onto Europe and NOT doubling down. That`s the only way we WILL move forward.

• Like 1

Thank you for that top tip

Admission is £17 (Adults) for that line up of teams. Top value. No wonder the BSPA think that the EL is the best league in the world and worth protecting at all times and in all ways.