British Speedway Forum
Sophies Mate

Eastbourne V Birmingham 29/3/2014

Awful result, its going to be a long hard season watching the Brummies, please dont laugh when we turn up, it costs a lot to travel to away meeting.

We have the delight of going to Lakeside next and watching the lads perform, hopefully with a couple other meeting under our belts by them and they will all be match fit and raring to go. Then your see the results coming in, then your fear us, you wont want to go to your home fixtures because the Brummies are coming(bring your calculators).

Your promoters will have to re-mortgage there houses to pay for the points money your riders will build, up and down the land your hear the tales of woe from promoters, wishing Brummies were in the PL because they cant afford to pay there own riders.

Yes were coming and were coming to lose, bankrupt the other teams and we will win the league, we will finsh above coventry as they wont have any home meetings, oh bugger they will probably beat us at home.

Well Ive got to go now as two blokes in white coats have come to take me away, apparently its in the best interests of speedway, just time for a war cry give us a B, give us a R, sorry I cant remember the rest, feeling sleepy now, farewell there taking me to the ambulance, fear us we are coming Ha! Ha! Ha!. :party:

• Like 3

Are you arguing for the sake of arguing (some would say - "again"), or do you seriously believe that load of hogwash?

No one is arguing, i am just stating facts.

What part of steve brums stateme nt is untrue?

Some like to argue for the sake of it.

Great value? Please elaborate?

Doesn't take much to be a GP rider these days, more better riders who either choose not to be in it or don't even get a look in

Does it really need elaborating?? If the PL is £15-£16 pound for a much weaker product and is good value then to watch GP standard riders week in week out at £17 is also by the same definition good value.

If you seriously believe that `it doesn't take much to be a GP rider these days` then i am never likely to take your point of view seriously. It is harder than ever to get into the GP`s, not easier.

I cant name a better rider who `doesn't even get a look in` so please elaborate.

• Like 1

The Eagles look to be stronger than ever at home but the Brummies were poor tonight.

The best entertainment was Bob Dugard nearly wiping out Lewis Blackbird with his tractor. After a bad accident at King's Lynn a few years ago I thought that tractors were no longer allowed to come onto the track until the riders had left it!

Its Uncle Bob's track - he does what he wants!!! :D

• Like 2

And the PL is £16 for a weaker product, wonder who is the bigger rip off merchant.

The EL IS the best/strongest/top league in this country, by any definition.

Without a top league NO sport can be taken seriously.

Don`t forget to mention the 7 GP riders and the World Champ ride in the best league in the Country. Great value for money compared to the rip off PL.

What part of steve brums stateme nt is untrue?

It would be interesting to pitch a PL team up against a hybrid EL/NL team to see which really is the weaker. SB has always had an arrogant disdain for the PL so that disparaging remark about the PL being a rip-off is not surprising. I'd guess that PL fans are more content that they get better value from their £16 than many EL fans will get from their £17

The EL is the best (etc) league in the country...well. in what other country would it be? Do an international comparison though, and we saw that a falsely strengthened (and otherwise well fancied) Kings Lynn team couldn't hold a candle to a weakened Zielona Gora team...this "best" product of ours is still a poor product.

"Without a top league no sport can be taken seriously" - I'd say that our top league is causing speedway to be the source of more ridicule and embarrassment than anything else. How can a league made up of riders that you can't be sure will be available, raced on tracks that no-one seems to be able to prepare properly, be taken seriously and be a good advertisement for the sport?

"7 GP riders and the World Champion" - in other words 9 GP riders who have no interest in the EL, not to mention the likes of Emil Sayfutdinov, Janusz Kolodzeil, Martin Vaculik, the Laguta brothers, Antonio Lindback and a raft of other riders who would walk into #1 slots in British teams, all not being interested in the EL.

Berwick and Workington being £!4 I think the latter paticularly is good value

The FACT IS the EL is not a good product is it better than the PL? I should bloddy hope so it's a sad state affairs we pretty much had all the big boys 10 years ago in a competitive league. The EL is now full of PL riders Craig Cook will be one of the Top EL averages at the season's end has Cook got a place abroad yet?

Grigorij Laguta is worthy of GP place, if he stayed on the thing he;d probably be Top 6

It would be interesting to pitch a PL team up against a hybrid EL/NL team to see which really is the weaker. SB has always had an arrogant disdain for the PL so that disparaging remark about the PL being a rip-off is not surprising. I'd guess that PL fans are more content that they get better value from their £16 than many EL fans will get from their £17

The EL is the best (etc) league in the country...well. in what other country would it be? Do an international comparison though, and we saw that a falsely strengthened (and otherwise well fancied) Kings Lynn team couldn't hold a candle to a weakened Zielona Gora team...this "best" product of ours is still a poor product.

"Without a top league no sport can be taken seriously" - I'd say that our top league is causing speedway to be the source of more ridicule and embarrassment than anything else. How can a league made up of riders that you can't be sure will be available, raced on tracks that no-one seems to be able to prepare properly, be taken seriously and be a good advertisement for the sport?

"7 GP riders and the World Champion" - in other words 9 GP riders who have no interest in the EL, not to mention the likes of Emil Sayfutdinov, Janusz Kolodzeil, Martin Vaculik, the Laguta brothers, Antonio Lindback and a raft of other riders who would walk into #1 slots in British teams, all not being interested in the EL.

Stupid post ..a lot of nations don't even have a speedway league .. Not sure how strong Poland is has to with The El being the top league in the uk .

Market forces decide how strong sports league are in Speedway Poland and Sweden rule the roost but they have weak football leagues ...But I doubt there fans think that it's a joke because Malmo are not as strong as Manchester City . The bottom line is that the el is the to league in the uk other nations league being stronger has zero bearing on that .

• Like 3

Its Uncle Bob's track - he does what he wants!!! :D

He certainly does but nearly wiping out one of your own is not a particularly smart move! :)

• Like 1

Why go to this dogs dinner of a meeting eddie. I thought you would have been at leicester for sure. I went to rye last night, you will be suprised at the track changes and the viewing from the bends!.

Im just happy to see speedway at my club. so many clubs are defunct in recent times so just be grateful you are still watching your team.

The top of the premier league is closer to the elite league then it has ever been.

You could pretty much say that nowadays most of the premier league number ones are on a par with the majority of the heat leaders in the elite.

There is no way you could have said that 10 years ago.

In the premier leagues defence i see better closer racing now than i did when Ipswich were in the elite. Yes as a club we struggled in the last few years and no fun watching 5-1's to the other side. On the other side when we dominated in the late 90's and that was boring racing to.

I dont consider paying the same for the premier or elite as to much of a problem if im entertained by the racing

• Like 1

Why go to this dogs dinner of a meeting eddie. I thought you would have been at leicester for sure. I went to rye last night, you will be suprised at the track changes and the viewing from the bends!.

It was a nice day Tony and that made the difference to be honest. I will no doubt end up doing more meetings at both Rye House and Leicester this season.

Edited by WembleyLion

And so the arrogant hater of all things Speedway replies as i expected.

it is no wonder no one takes it seriously.

Spin it too suit, the fact i travel to watch meetings in the PL to watch up and coming riders seems lost on The Pedaler. Its disdain for all things EL means it appears it is blinkered to the fact the PL is charging only a small amount less than the `rip off` EL to watch a much weaker product. Maybe the blinkers will come off some time soon but i doubt it.

Like it or not The Pedaler, the EL IS the bench mark and strongest league we have in this country. No one is asking you to like it. But your arrogance and disdain for the EL is clearly blinding you to ALL the problems associated with BRITISH Speedway. Far from me to suggest your sight is very narrow.

• Like 1

Bad Fan

• Like 2

Well all I can say is well done Eastbourne.

They can only ride against the team in front of them.

Yes, it was ver annoying to turn up to the first match of the season and see that the opposition leaves a bit to be desired but I still didn't consider the match a walkover before it started. Skornicki was very quick the week before, Danny King is no slouch and I expected more from Ben Barker. Those three performing with a few points thrown in by Rowan could have seen a closer match.!

For me the standout performance and one that gives me real hope for the season was Mikael. He looked super fast. Lewis Blackbird was not a Million miles behind either

• Like 1

I was dissapointed that Birmingham had three guests and in particular that Eddie Kennett was missing but I believe that the Eagles would have pulled off a convincing win even if the normal team had been there.

The pundits have predicted that the Eagles will finish 9th. Perhaps they had their lists upside down !

I am really looking forward to this season. The Eagles have a great team and that includes the reserves.

Play-offs here we come.

• Like 1