British Speedway Forum
markyb

Coventry Bees - My Memories

As a West Ham fan, my main memory of Coventry is of going there in 1971 to meet my Coventry penfriend, Pat. She was with a couple of her friends and I was with one of mine, and we had a nice evening. I'm ashamed to this day that I didn't write to her again. She must have thought it was because I'd met her, and it wasn't! So if you see this Pat - I'm sorry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, EnglishRoundabout said:

Thank you Grachan. Yes the 4TT does ring a bell. I think I actually went with Steve Shovlar, but not quite certain. Steve, can you assist?

Yes, it was indeed a four-teamer.

Union Jacks (Wilson, Collins, Jessup, Betts, Simmons) 34

Lions (Booey, McMillan, Hunter, Pusey, Chris Morton) 26

Australasians (Mauger, Cribb (who replaced Briggo), Boulger, Sanders, Valentine) 26

Scandinavians (Persson, Nilsson, Soren Karlsson, Stangeland (replaced Finn Thomsen), Ollie Nygren (replaced Rikhard Helsen) 10

Top scorers were:

McMillan, Mauger (10), Collins, Simmons (9), Boocock, Wilson (8). All from four rides.

The 'Second Half' was a Testimonial Trophy knockout, won by Collins, with Persson second and Cribb third (Wilson retired).

What a wonderful Sunday afternoon that was, and it didn't matter that it took hours to get out of the car park afterwards!

BooeyProg.jpg

• Like 3

Delighted to help out the campaign group with this. Come on all Bees Fans and Stox Fans, grab yourselves a piece of nostalgia and help raise funds for all the great work which is going on to bring the Bees back to Brandon. 100% of all profits will be put to use to get both sports back on tracK.

http://www.savecoventryspeedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.4227

My first meeting there was back in 1983, the Ole Olsen Farewell meeting won by Kenny Carter. It was absolutely packed. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger

On 3/27/2014 at 8:31 PM, markyb said:

Thoroughly expect to be shot down in flames and ridiculed but hey so what - want to share my experiences as a Coventry bees speedway supporter who is about to turn his back on the team and sport.

My dad was a resident of Brandon and as a teenager in the 50's he would be part of the group that would be painting the inner white line and the bottom of the outside fence. So guess as a 1963 baby became part of his hobby in that era. I do remember in the early '70's seeing the likes of Rick France, Ron Mountford and the legendary Nigel Boocock. In 1976 I became a real regular fan and remember the packed crowd in March of that year where coventry led by ole Olsen met Ray Wilson of Leicester in the East Midlands bowl.

Many fantastic years followed including Tee Mill tours coach trip to world final in Sweden (ullevi) in 1980 where Michael lee won (having watched ole knocked out at the inter continental final stage at white city) - made even more distressing hearing wrongly en-route that Finn Thomson (wolves) having crashed in practice and ole would be in !

Riders that stand out for me and bring back great memories for coventry include Mitch Shirra, alan Molyneux, Jiri stancl, Nigel Harrhy, frank smith, gary gougliemi, and Alf busk.

Remember fondly the trip with many coaches of coventry supporters to Halifax and being trounced by Kenny carter, who I hated at the time, simply because the wasn't coventry. To speedway fans today, you don't know what you missed with Kenny and also the likes of Peter Collins, Chris Morton, Doug Wyer, john Louis, Dave jessop et al.

In the latter years Coventry had the wealth of Greg Hancock, billy hamill, Andreas jonsson and lee Richardson (rip lee) in the same team at the same time. It's only when you look at that and what we got today as to how mugged off we, the supporters have become. Today's Poland Is the yesterday of uk speedway, no wonder that the sport thrives in that country and how pathetic we are here.

When I go to coventry now, I see the demography of the speedway support and the lack of younger fans. Only a matter of time before it's lost forever.

I have tried to introduce the sport to my 8 year old daughter and she is crazy about the storm's ryan terry-daley, but unfortunately she is in the minority.

Really wish I had the time, money and proper experience to promote the sport - it can be real entertainment and a joy for both sexes and all ages, but think it's gone too far down the wrong path and direction.

Come on all, shoot me down .

No shoot down here, you speak the truth.

• Like 1