British Speedway Forum
markyb

Coventry Bees - My Memories

Fondest memories of Cov are Andy Grahame becoming British Champion in 82 and Zdenek Kudrna beating Ole Olsen in 1980.

• Like 1

Hey guys, this is my first post, so here goes!

markyb, love your post, obviously you and I were there at Brandon at the same time as all the names you mention are just how I remember Coventry Bees. I remember some amazing clashes with Cradley and Exeter to name but two. Some other names to add to the mix are:-

Tommy Knudsen

Rick Miller

Kevin Hawkins

These are just a few years later but still great times...

I particularly remember a close match with Exeter I think it was, when Tommy Knudsen (at just 16) was taken out 3 times by Vaclar Verner going into the 1st bend and then after the 3rd stoppage, Gary Gugliemi running from the pits gate to Tommy's aid :lol

Great memories!!!

39-38 in the end i think? wednesday night chucking it down with rain, i have an audio tape somewhere of that match, if you can remember you could by audio cassettes of the matches

• Like 1

Sad to say, If Speedway from this era is remembered at all. Even C.J. de Mooi did not know that Poole Pirates were a Speedway team, that's one in the eye for Steve, who is deluded into thinking his team are world renown.

The irony is,on a recent Question of Sport no one on the panel knew who Tai Woffenden was,they knew who was on the forth till at Croyden Tesco though... :neutral:

• Like 1

Anyone remember the heat where it finished 0-0 against Middlesborough in the 90's? The most bizarre heats of speedway ive ever seen. Also Roman Matousek debut, turned up late then touched the tapes in his first ride!

• Like 2

British Finals on the first Wednesday in June packed stadium all of the stadium unlike last years British Final at Wolverhampton were Bill and Ben from Sky went on about Monmore being packed ? My first British final was 1977 when a very young Micheal Lee was crowned British Champion in those days all the 16 riders came from the then top league unlike to day half the field comes from the PL this is how far we have fallen . Wednesday night British Finals are the one thing I have found memories for also going to Brandon when my team Kings Lynn visited on Saturday night again big crowd all Ole Olsen had to do was stand near the pit gate and the Bees fans would applaud . Happy daze -

Anyone remember the heat where it finished 0-0 against Middlesborough in the 90's? The most bizarre heats of speedway ive ever seen. Also Roman Matousek debut, turned up late then touched the tapes in his first ride!

No but I remember the 0-0 in 2009 vs Peterborough. Bees had Kennett and Frampton out and Peterborough had Hansen and I think it was Vissing. Kennett fell, was excluded, Vissing wiped out Frmapton and was excluded. The Frampton was knocked off by Hansen both ended up in the fence and the referee excluded both!!

edit > Parsloes will hate the fact I can remember a heat from 2009 as he fails to believe I can remember 15 heats in a night and don't need a programme!

Edited by SCB

Anyone remember the heat where it finished 0-0 against Middlesborough in the 90's? The most bizarre heats of speedway ive ever seen.

I do if that's the Rick Miller one when he was the only rider left in the race so he went round popping wheelies, only to be excluded by Geoff Dalby for not making a bona fide attempt to race. :lol:

I wasn't going to join in this topic because it sounds like Coventry have closed already and we are reliving old memories, but hey ho I've done it now. :wink:

• Like 1

. . . all Ole Olsen had to do was stand near the pit gate and the Bees fans would applaud . Happy daze -

Not all the Bees fans, Haza!

I have hundreds of happy memories back to 1964, and not one of them involves Mr Olsen

The Man (Mountford), The Beau (Boocock), Cap'n Jim (Lightfoot), Hurriken (McKinlay), then on to the extremely young Shirra, the galloping Guglielmi, Matousek, Knudsen, Miller, Bomber - not forgetting dear old Les Owen, and the locals like Ridley, Lomas, Cottrell, Harrhy, Bailey, Hill, etc who we watched progress through the ranks from the "third half" races to team places

Great memories indeed!

• Like 2

Lets not forget one of the most alluring things about those days, the smell. I remember walking up to the stadium (Hyde Road) the sound of the bikes and the smell of the Methanol made the excitement magic.

I do if that's the Rick Miller one when he was the only rider left in the race so he went round popping wheelies, only to be excluded by Geoff Dalby for not making a bona fide attempt to race. :lol:

I wasn't going to join in this topic because it sounds like Coventry have closed already and we are reliving old memories, but hey ho I've done it now. :wink:

Yep thats the one, he spent 4 laps showboating and was excluded for 'not racing'.

• Like 1

Anyone remember Ales Dryml (senior) turning up with Birmingham & riding like a world champion ? Think it was 1982 (?)

Maximum in the meeting IIRC and then won the 2nd half Gold Sash as well !

Anyone remember Ales Dryml (senior) turning up with Birmingham & riding like a world champion ? Think it was 1982 (?)

Maximum in the meeting IIRC and then won the 2nd half Gold Sash as well !

Yes was there

Rick Millers testimonial when he and other riders did a bungee jump, a few expletives obviously came out!

• Like 1

I remember that time in, I think it was 2005 (may have been a few years give or take) when the Bees rode against Belle Vue and Smolinski won a race, and the 'Mexicans' that everybody disliked, threw a pint all over him as he rode back to the pits. Fair to say they got so much abuse that night and were inevitably kicked out.

I particularly remember a close match with Exeter I think it was, when Tommy Knudsen (at just 16) was taken out 3 times by Vaclar Verner going into the 1st bend and then after the 3rd stoppage, Gary Gugliemi running from the pits gate to Tommy's aid :lol

Great memories!!!

Yes, what a meeting! 1979 and towards the end of the season and Bees had to win it to stay in with a shout. At one point they were 8 points down with only a few heats to go. The stadium was packed and twice, Tommy Knudsen got dumped into the back straight fence, bringing the meeting to boiling point. Every heat was a nail-biter, but Bees went on to win 40-38 and then take the title.

I'm pretty sure I remember Guglielmi laying into Verner and the police getting involved!

In fact I mentioned that Coventry V Exeter meeting here some years ago http://www.coventrybees.co/memories as my all time favourite. Some good reading there too.

Rivalling it would be the title winner at Poole 2010 :)