British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

The Draft

What a daft name for this developement bettered only by another way I have heard it described as "fast track" by and large they are a bunch of no hopers drafted in to save money.

• Like 1

What a daft name for this developement bettered only by another way I have heard it described as "fast track" by and large they are a bunch of no hopers drafted in to save money.

Not a daft name, as that is what it was.. a draft.

Of course the scheme will help to reduce costs.. as costs needed reducing and more opportunities were needed for British riders its a good way of killing two birds with one stone.

The key is that they stick with this now for at least 5 years and lets see what can be produced.

• Like 6

Well, lets just let British Speedway rot and do nothing for its future eh? :rolleyes:

FWIW 3 or 4 of the lads on the draft have real potential so naturally its well worth the effort.

• Like 7

Well, lets just let British Speedway rot and do nothing for its future eh? :rolleyes:

FWIW 3 or 4 of the lads on the draft have real potential so naturally its well worth the effort.

I still think it should have only been one fast tracked PL rider in the EL at reserve and that the PL should have Brit reserves as well, but we have a system that could produce a flow of riders in the future that may improve our recent performances in the World Cup. It may also provide another British World Champion a few years down the road.

Give it a few years, and yes a couple of tweeks may be needed, but lets see how things work out.

• Like 4

Well we're up to page 4 and on our way to the 89 that I predicted might result when full draft list was made public! :wink: And right now I think I might need a lie down as I totally agree with BWitcher's last post! :shock::lol:

I still think it should have only been one fast tracked PL rider in the EL at reserve and that the PL should have Brit reserves as well, but we have a system that could produce a flow of riders in the future that may improve our recent performances in the World Cup. It may also provide another British World Champion a few years down the road.

Give it a few years, and yes a couple of tweeks may be needed, but lets see how things work out.

Couldn't agree more! Someone in authority at BSPA needs to get tough with the PL promoters!!!!

Well we're up to page 4 and on our way to the 89 that I predicted might result when full draft list was made public! :wink: And right now I think I might need a lie down as I totally agree with BWitcher's last post! :shock::lol:

However Bryn, nobody has made any comments regarding the list... so not quite right really.

It was suggested that the list be made public for transparency purposes.. it now has been so all is well!

I must be slipping if we're agreeing! :)

For sure the PL should be using British riders at reserve.

As it is, the EL has taken it on. I don't think having only one rider would work.. they'd be getting 3rd place at best in one heat. This way they can get the confidence of heat wins, and take that into their races against higher calibre riders.

Couldnt agree more. IF ONLY the Leagues would work together on its future instead of self centered interests.

I seriously hope this is not a one season wonder change.

Think it should stay for a minimum 5 years. Like you say with tweaks and co-operation from ALL involved!

If I could really believe this was introduced to further youngsters in British Speedway I could see the point and even endorse it. Does however anybody seriously think that those in charge have done this for any other reason than to save money

If I could really believe this was introduced to further youngsters in British Speedway I could see the point and even endorse it. Does however anybody seriously think that those in charge have done this for any other reason than to save money

Yes I do! And I've seen at ALL 36 of them in action, including a fair few of them this year already! So please tell me on what evidence you based your comment in a previous post that, "..... by and large they are a bunch of no hopers drafted in to save money...."

Edited by Bryn

So if you can see the point and would even be willing to endorse it, it's irrelevant the main reason 'why' they introduced it as you seem to think it may work. Therefore, nothing to complain about.

• Like 2

At a quick glance all Elite Teams ride on Good Friday. That means all 20 Draft riders will be used yet I can see S Worrall, L Blackbird, J Jacobs, P Starke, B Reade and D Halsey all on PL or NL Duty . Where do the replacements come from and Eastbourne are really hit as both of them are unavailable. Add in a few double ups who will be missing and Easter will be chaos.

There are 36 on the list on the BSPA website!!!

or check post 39 on this thread!!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

They need to be thinking already about how this will operate next year. There is such a disparity in strength of the draft riders that you can't really allow the likes of Garrity and Kerr to ride at reserve next year. I'd say top four must ride in the main body of the team, then re rank the next ten eligible possibly having age limit of 25 and the same with the next ten. Anyone who slips more than five places down the rankings in terms of average I wouldn't allow in next year either. What I don't think you can have is the aforementioned to ride for the same teams at reserve again (and i'm a Bees fan) although I accept that teams like Kings Lynn have brought their own riders through. Bees reserves looked better than Robins second strings and the Kings Lynn boys got paid 22 for Newcastle against Redcar. The other teams have to be able to compete on a level playing field next year.

Yes I do! And I've seen at ALL 36 of them in action, including a fair few of them this year already! So please tell me on what evidence you based your comment in a previous post that, "..... by and large they are a bunch of no hopers drafted in to save money...."

The answer must me that I have as much evidence as you do , to take the opposite view. However every step that has been taken in recent times has had the effect of watering down the product and more cost to the punter. There is a view that this at least has meant that Speedway at least at some level is maintained in this country. However we are a million miles from being at the races in world terms and anybody with money or ambition has been driven out of the sport and sacrificed on the alter of mediocrity.

Yes I know Woffinden is World Champion( and I was there to see it) but I seriously doubt that he really considers himself as English.

Edited by wealdstone