British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Birmingham V Lakeside April 2 El (a)

Feel for Alan Phillips, but you can't win a match with no recognised heat leaders and neither can you expect supporters to pay in any great numbers to watch such a poor team, it's going to be a long season for the dwindling support base.

The Brummies have been in the play offs for the last 2 years and topped the league in the regular season last year.The fans have no divine right to have a successful team year in year out.

Bring back Joe!

If the team has been produced on a budget, where is the extra cash going to come from to change the team,

The answer to the second part is from the Bank of Philips, because there is no-one there getting any sponsorship money in to fund any team changes. The Sky money is gone, GoSpeed can't find a sponsor for the league, the Brummies only have Selco and a garden shed supplier from Kingstanding putting their money into the club, so where else is that money coming from? Although Barry The Cat was no doubt being sarcastic, Joe, or someone else who can do a fantastic job of getting money into the club is needed again.

The other problem of course is the ageing supporter base, which is not being replenished, never have I been to a track where there are so many anoraks from the clubs byegone age, and the crowds will naturally decrease.

You'll be accused and lambasted for being ageist with comments like that. These things happen to you when the truth hurts.

Birmingham should sign Sundstrom

...who is out there who is desperate to ride in the UK and will make a big Difference to the Brummies team ?

What makes anyone think that Sundstrom would want to ride for a team in the UK??

Also.. Why did they get rid of Smolinski?

Another example of someone who was offered a team place but decided against riding in Britain. You have to accept the fact that the Elite League under the BSPA and the Brummies with their reputation for not paying riders, does not make an attractive proposition.

A long season for Brummies fans and they will need to have some resolve to go and watch that team every week!

Well they are my team, lose, lose or draw I'll be there to support them as long as they are around. I have my season ticket and have already booked accommodation for Poole x 2 trips, Eastbourne x 1 trip (having done the 1 already) and Lakeside x 1. I do see a long season ahead though!

• Like 6

The Brummies have been in the play offs for the last 2 years and topped the league in the regular season last year.The fans have no divine right to have a successful team year in year out.

Don't try that one on the south coast!

Well they are my team, lose, lose or draw I'll be there to support them as long as they are around. I have my season ticket and have already booked accommodation for Poole x 2 trips, Eastbourne x 1 trip (having done the 1 already) and Lakeside x 1. I do see a long season ahead though!

And that's very commendable but unless a significant number of other Brummies fans have the same opinion then it may impact your future commitment.

• Like 1

Lakeside, yea we will be there, can see a loss on the cards, hoping for a win, Im off the pills you know.

Support your team no matter what, moan and groan, shout and boo, but be there to see them win or lose. just ask Reading, Oxford, Bradford or Newport supporters what they would give to have a team and just incase you have a short memory remember 1986 to 2006 with sod all to moan and groan, shout and boo about.

Come on you Brummies, were coming, its time to fear us, time to hide away, time to cry when we take the points away, 23 I reckon.

be there or be square. Ill be the one in the straight jacket.

• Like 2

Got to admire your spirit PP, You are quite right to have no team at all would be a disaster because once the club goes this time I doubt that it would ever return, The worry is despite it only being early season in the three meetings so far the team have showed little or no prospect of improvement and one or two riders simply don't seem interested, I think that at least a couple of changes are required but are the funds available to do so? I think not.

I cannot attend the next couple of meetings due to surgery on my shoulder(next Weds) but I wish the Club well and hope that the team can give the supporters something to cheer about.

Sadly, I think the Shinanigans last season haven't done the club any favours.

Perhaps a groupon offer is on the cards, Birmingham people seemed to like the offers and attend in their droves.

Fingers crossed Wednesday was just a blip crowd wise.

Just a point about Aston Villa's "dwindling" attendances. They currently have the 9th highest average home gate at 36,230, which considering how bad their home performances and results have been (for quite a while now) is pretty good.

I can't really explain why Blues' attendances are so low though. :lol:

Ha, Villas attendances just 3 or 4 years ago was 40,000 plus, I can tell you why Birminghams are down, Crap team, Poor owners who wont spend a penny, and they slag the fans off at every opportunity.......mmmmmn SOUNDS FAMILIAR dont it :lol:

• Like 1

Draft riders don't get averages :-)

Although it seems he was on the pace and was racing with Nomark in 14, Ellis's points were scored against Lambert & Starke. Hopefully though, the boost in confidence he's getting will result in some bigger scalps.

Yes I know that but it will be easy to do the averages of each reserve & I'll lay money on it they will be with teams at the top of the league.

The draft will hopefully produce some riders for the future but it will also see teams with poor scoring reserves suffer with falling attendences unfortunately.

Edited by Crazy robin

Yes I know that but it will be easy to do the averages of each reserve & I'll lay money on it they will be with teams at the top of the league.

The draft will hopefully produce some riders for the future but it will also see teams with poor scoring reserves suffer with falling attendences unfortunately.

Which was predicted by some of us in November. I got laughed at for suggesting Garrity would average 9, I wonder if peoples still think I'm mad a few meetings in having seen the format.

Not being disrespectful to Smolinski, but i do believe he will be seriously outclassed in the GP series, if he makes anywhere near the top 8 then i,m afraid Speedway is going downhill, because there is no way he is up to that class

Any update on how steep a slope speedway's sliding down after Saturday's action in Auckland ? !!

• Like 3

No one claiming that as far as I can see ?, but the point stands, even Poole would see a drop off in attendances if they were performing like this, fans in any sports are fickle, regardless of club.