British Speedway Forum
boston five

Coventry V Scunthorpe 4th April

I just can't see how this is going to help their confidence,not just getting beat but slaughted pretty much.Confidence is a massive part of speedway.I am all for what Scunny are trying to achieve but imho they've gone about it the wrong way.Bring on some young kids yes but do so with a couple of riders who have been about for a few years.Have a solid heat leader trio and fill the gaps with the likes of Sanderson.Not only can the experienced riders help off track but also on it.Look at Jon Armstrong last year.Was paired with Josh Bates for a fair amount of the season.Was a huge benefit to Josh's progress IMO

and which 3 experience heatleaders would you use??

There isn't any that is the problem.Imo the league struggled to find enough riders last year.With 2 new teams, the limit should have been lowered to make sure there were enough to make the teams more balanced.

Don't know what these riders are doing,if they're retired or not but

Irving,Warwick,Young,Knight,McKinna,Priest,Isherwood,Owen,Hazleden,Franklin,Baseby

Edited by adz_mft
  • Like 2

So may positives to take from the Storm Meeting on Friday Night.

1) The track was superb, without doubt the best I've seen it in a long while.

2) Great to see Colin Pratt at the stadium! - hopefully, point 1 refers.

3) The stadium was sparkling, so much attention has been paid to relaying car parks and land inside the stadium

and also behind the back straight, really smart.

4) Whilst desperately sorry for Scunthorpe injury list, the Storm riders were brilliant.

5) Hope tonight's Stock Car Meeting does not undo the terrific work that has been undertaken.

Looking forward to the Kings Lynn Meet next Friday.

Hope Bomber is not too depressed by his New Zealand GP Showing.

• Like 3

There isn't any that is the problem.Imo the league struggled to find enough riders last year.With 2 new teams, the limit should have been lowered to make sure there were enough to make the teams more balanced.

Don't know what these riders are doing,if they're retired or not but

Irving,Warwick,Young,Knight,McKinna,Priest,Isherwood,Owen,Hazleden,Franklin,Baseby

So far as i am aware, all have retired except Young, Isherwood, Priest who just seem to have drifted away, and Marc Owen now i do think he is still trying to find rides, now he could do a job for Scunny, Yes i do believe he would have a long way to travel, but home meetings are on a weekend i believe, and he would have to do away meetings whoever he rode for, Marc has done the Under 21 at Plymouth, and is in the Final at Cradley so i think this shows he still wants to stay in the Sport, and i think riding for Scunny without pressure would be beneficial to him and Scunny, and he is due a spell without injury. :t:

• Like 1

I just can't see how this is going to help their confidence,not just getting beat but slaughted pretty much.Confidence is a massive part of speedway.I am all for what Scunny are trying to achieve but imho they've gone about it the wrong way.Bring on some young kids yes but do so with a couple of riders who have been about for a few years.Have a solid heat leader trio and fill the gaps with the likes of Sanderson.Not only can the experienced riders help off track but also on it.Look at Jon Armstrong last year.Was paired with Josh Bates for a fair amount of the season.Was a huge benefit to Josh's progress IMO

Steve Jones has been around for a few years. Scunny also tried to bring in Lee Dicken, but that's now been blocked.

I enjoyed last night - as the Scunny boys gradually improved as the night went on. I predicted after Heat 10 that Danno would beat Martin Knuckey in Heat 12 and he did... from the back.

My own personal view would be I'd like to see one more exprienced rider in there, as well as Steve Jones. I think two more experienced riders plus five rookies would be a good mix. But as the blocked attempt to sign Lee Dicken shows, it's not that easy to find a rider who fits within the NL rules.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Steve Jones has been around for a few years. Scunny also tried to bring in Lee Dicken, but that's now been blocked.

All the best

Rob

As expected really when you can only have 1 rider over 30

I just wish the total knockers would get off Scunthorpe's back.

The points limit would have been better lowered however that had all been decided before Scunthorpe came on board. This is also the third season of a three year 40.00 points limit. I would personally like it to be 36.00 for a nine team League less if there are more teams.

The lesson is do not set a points limit for three years but assess annually based on the number of teams but that is not always known when the National League AGM takes place. Everyone thinks it is so easy for the AGM and for Scunthorpe that is not the case and the unexpectedly long list of useful riders not taking part this season is indicative of that. People want the meeting early but is there not also an argument for allowing teams to enter as late as possible. It is a very difficult balance to strike and all involved try desperately hard to stretch in all ways.

So have a bit of tolerance for Scunthorpe go and see them for yourselves at your home track and lets work for the good of speedway looking at the wider picture. Boston beat Buxton 71-19 in 2000 we didn't moan we rejoiced that we were doing so well

Malcolm Vasey

• Like 3

That's not speedway what's happened tonight. Why would anyone go and pay good money to watch that. Fair play to scunny for what they are doing but I won't be going to any meeting with scunny involved, be a big waste of money. Was the scunny team any younger that cov anyway?

Tell me..where did the storms heat leader Trio start out?? And where did half of your team start out??

And next season where will you get your heat leaders from??

• Like 3

I have no idea if he would be interested but what about former Heathen Mark Robinson. He rode in a challenge match for Dudley a couple of years ago and scored 7+2 from 3 completed rides against a pretty experienced Birmingham Bulls septet including Garrity, Pickard, Priest and Sarjeant. He made some enquiries about a comeback at ther time and was told be would be saddled with his old BJL average of 9+. I'm sure he would not claim to be a points machine but I'm sure he would be a big help to the youngsters and that is what counts.

Hope that may be helpful.

I really hope Steve Jones is not giving others gating advice. Sweet Mother of God! Even on gate 3 (which was far superior), he was trundling out of the start.

MacDonald looks pretty steady, and when he got out of the start with the others, he looked solid.

If he can make some consistent starts, he'll score points.

Dwyer, again, took another hefty crash. Best wishes to him. Everytime I see him, he tends to have a big one. Hope I don't curse him!

Would be a decent NL rider if he could stay on.

Track was pretty inconsistent, but far better than what it was the last time I was there. "Luckily" most races were pretty spaced out, so riders were generally okay if they used their head.

Whilst on the topic of people using their head, it might be beneficial for everyone concerned if the flag marshall could stay off the track whilst a race is going on!

• Like 1

I just wish the total knockers would get off Scunthorpe's back.

The points limit would have been better lowered however that had all been decided before Scunthorpe came on board. This is also the third season of a three year 40.00 points limit. I would personally like it to be 36.00 for a nine team League less if there are more teams.

The lesson is do not set a points limit for three years but assess annually based on the number of teams but that is not always known when the National League AGM takes place. Everyone thinks it is so easy for the AGM and for Scunthorpe that is not the case and the unexpectedly long list of useful riders not taking part this season is indicative of that. People want the meeting early but is there not also an argument for allowing teams to enter as late as possible. It is a very difficult balance to strike and all involved try desperately hard to stretch in all ways.

So have a bit of tolerance for Scunthorpe go and see them for yourselves at your home track and lets work for the good of speedway looking at the wider picture. Boston beat Buxton 71-19 in 2000 we didn't moan we rejoiced that we were doing so well

Malcolm Vasey

Don't think it is a question of knockers Malcolm but the results so far speak for themselves - in a time when the sport is struggling entertainment and value for money is paramount.

Surely for season 1 it would have made far more sense to put either 1 or even 2 teams into the MDL, then next year cream of the crop into a NL side - I would suspect quite a few MDL riders are going to get a call up into NL with absentees / and regrettably injuries so will pick up experience whilst not getting beaten week in and week out.

Scunny is a great setup with excellent behind the scene support, but as you yourself knows only too well when a team is not performing well fans vote with their feet.

The points limit totally agree, but when does common sense and those in power appear in the same sentence?

Like to see Mildy win by the same score as Boston tomorrow, I might even pay for your chips then

Kev

Edited by norwichkev
  • Like 2

[quote

Like to see Mildy win by the same score as Boston tomorrow, I might even pay for your chips then

Kev

Ill be pleased to beat you at Mildenhall - yet again. My dream is possible yours is not lol

Malcolm

Edited by Proud Potter

So may positives to take from the Storm Meeting on Friday Night.1) The track was superb, without doubt the best I've seen it in a long while.2) Great to see Colin Pratt at the stadium! - hopefully, point 1 refers.3) The stadium was sparkling, so much attention has been paid to relaying car parks and land inside the stadiumand also behind the back straight, really smart.4) Whilst desperately sorry for Scunthorpe injury list, the Storm riders were brilliant.5) Hope tonight's Stock Car Meeting does not undo the terrific work that has been undertaken.Looking forward to the Kings Lynn Meet next Friday.Hope Bomber is not too depressed by his New Zealand GP Showing.

Was not aware of Colin Pratt being there - hail the king !

• Like 1

Any news on Garrity injury, not riding for Rye House tonight after his crash last night.

I have no problem with the way Scunthorpe are trying to run this season. Having older guy at number 1 showing the young boys the ropes, great but, sorry Steve Jones isn't that guy. Don't ask me who else they could have used ,( I'm sure Steve is a very nice guy) but if he ain't scoring 10 plus every week its going to be a bit one sided .