British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Lakeside 9-4-14

Wasn't the switch just tactics though to give Ben and Bridger a 3rd ride and give Ellis the opportunity to score in the easier heats?. Is this not just going to damage Ben's confidence?. Once again we are seeing meetings being rescued by reserves because of under performing main body. Good for Adam's confidence but what's it doing for Ben's? Get rid of Bridger. That would soon wake him up. He just seems to be handed team spots on a plate so how is he going to learn complacency is such an unattractive look .

I actually thought it was smart move by Neil Vatcher to put Morley in heat 13 , in place of Bridger.

Consider Vatch's options: He could leave Lewis in Heat 13 , but on the basis of his previous 3 rides it seems highly likely he wouldn't score. He could have put Ellis is but against NKI and Bjerre it is highly likely he wouldn't score either r, or he could also put Ben in, (which he in fact did) who also would only pick up a point if gifted by a KL fall or engine failure, so whatever Vatch did there would likely be a last place for Lakeside. However by putting Ben in heat 13 Vatch was able to put Adam Ellis out against Lambert and Rose in heat 14 and paired with Bech he took a 5-1over the KL pair which in in theory kept the match alive and the final score half -decent.

Would that damage Bens confidence ? I don't think so. For one thing he his regularly hitting double figures and getting wins in the NL so he is ok there, and also as a speedway rider learning is trade he has to get experience of lining up against the big guns and getting beat. That's something every rider has to deal with if they are going to make progress. Most importantly though it is a long season and Ben is learning all the time. Take last Fridays match against Leicester for example. Ben had already been beaten twice by Tom Perry, and looked short of speed, then had to line up against Perry in a "must win " heat 9 after Adam Ellis fell and was excluded. It seems that in between races Dave Watt had worked a bit of magic on Bens set-up and given him a bit of advice, then Ben came out with far more speed than before and beat Perry by half the length of the straight.

So that is the point. In a single meeting Ben learned something from a senior rider and took a small step forward. Multiply that by the help and advice he will get over the course of a season and he will be a better rider, as will a number of the other draft riders.

For me Bridger is probably the biggest waste of talent I've seen in thirty years of going to speedway. He was scoring double figures for Eastbourne at sixteen and with the right guidance and kit could have been GP standard IMO. But that ship has long since sailed and it's a great shame.

Perhaps he has to make up his mind whether he wants to be speedway rider or a cagefighter. This is from his twitter page so is no secret :-

BkuHw8pIcAAHiez.jpg

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

I agree with trees about the programe but biggest bugbear to me is the coffee has gone up by fifty pence. I wont be buying any more of that.

Perhaps he has to make up his mind whether he wants to be speedway rider or a cagefighter. This is from his twitter page so is no secret :-

BkuHw8pIcAAHiez.jpg

Wow, I believe this is a call for the FIM to get involved in. This guys fight to the point of almost unconscious

Wow, I believe this is a call for the FIM to get involved in. This guys fight to the point of almost unconscious

and he is riding the next night!

Fold up programme, don't like it at all, much prefer white background for race card and don't want to be unfolding whole thing to read Buster and Rob's columns ...... people said to me that there wasn't enough room on race card to write changes either ....

I didn't go a lot on them either. To me the main issue of a programme is to fill in the score card. On a dark background it was difficult to see in the night light, the score boxes were too small, and you need so much room to unfold it to read.

I would rather we got a printed A4 sheet with the race card on one side and comment on the other. Charge a quid and make a killing. it would save Time, Money and Effort. Come to that, we could do it at home on the computer and save ourselves £2.... No, Buster you got this one wrong.............

Sorry to say, The new system will not work for all the National League newcomers. The cream will rise to the surface and going forward of course there will be casualties. I dont think we can expect anything less. To me, if you get 5/6 riders coming through from the first year, then it will have done its job. Ellis taking the place of Morley, who in turn had taken the place of Bridger is proof in point.

Well said. That should be the whole idea. Some will rise , well a few probably will. More will fail.

One other thing about Wed Night was the size of the Crowd. Buster putting out 3 local lads certainly seems to have captured the people of Norfolk's imagination. I hope that next week the crowd is every bit as good for the Belle Vue meet.

Is the score board at the Arena knacked again?

• Like 1

I actually thought it was smart move by Neil Vatcher to put Morley in heat 13 , in place of Bridger.

Consider Vatch's options: He could leave Lewis in Heat 13 , but on the basis of his previous 3 rides it seems highly likely he wouldn't score. He could have put Ellis is but against NKI and Bjerre it is highly likely he wouldn't score either r, or he could also put Ben in, (which he in fact did) who also would only pick up a point if gifted by a KL fall or engine failure, so whatever Vatch did there would likely be a last place for Lakeside. However by putting Ben in heat 13 Vatch was able to put Adam Ellis out against Lambert and Rose in heat 14 and paired with Bech he took a 5-1over the KL pair which in in theory kept the match alive and the final score half -decent.

Would that damage Bens confidence ? I don't think so. For one thing he his regularly hitting double figures and getting wins in the NL so he is ok there, and also as a speedway rider learning is trade he has to get experience of lining up against the big guns and getting beat. That's something every rider has to deal with if they are going to make progress. Most importantly though it is a long season and Ben is learning all the time. Take last Fridays match against Leicester for example. Ben had already been beaten twice by Tom Perry, and looked short of speed, then had to line up against Perry in a "must win " heat 9 after Adam Ellis fell and was excluded. It seems that in between races Dave Watt had worked a bit of magic on Bens set-up and given him a bit of advice, then Ben came out with far more speed than before and beat Perry by half the length of the straight.

So that is the point. In a single meeting Ben learned something from a senior rider and took a small step forward. Multiply that by the help and advice he will get over the course of a season and he will be a better rider, as will a number of the other draft riders.

He was also taken out of his 4th in the Leicester meeting 'for the good of the team' and this was announced over the PA. That's what i'm talking about but maybe he will learn more than he will lose.