British Speedway Forum

Benefit meeting for a millionaire ?

The guy is a real legend of speedway history and this illness is terrible maybe a collection around the tracks for the Alzheimer's charity in the name of Ivan would be better and something fans would happily support.

Agree with the above 100%

Often wondered why Ivan was never knighted for his achievements - compared to a lot of "Sirs" he is well deserving

Perhaps a concerted campaign to no.10 would be a good idea?

Agree with the above 100%

Often wondered why Ivan was never knighted for his achievements - compared to a lot of "Sirs" he is well deserving

Perhaps a concerted campaign to no.10 would be a good idea?

I think the nomination would have to come from New Zealand. Best wishes to the Mauger family and to all families in the same position.

I think the idea of a benifit meeting with Ivan's name on it with the proceeds going to chairity is a great idea providing Ivan's family is fine with it. It's good when a sport gives back to those that made it great in the first place. I was lucky enough to watch Ivan race in his days at Hull speedway around the bulevard. I remember the first time he turned up in his new van which had been sign written with 9 times world champion on it and a painting of Ivan in full slide airbrushed on the side. in those days it was unheard of a rider having a van and it drew just as big a group around as did the great man himself. then to find out he had 2 bikes as well. A great Man and Speedway around the world will always be in his dept

• Like 4

was that the VW van that had 8 times world champion on it then that was crossed out to say 9 times

was that the VW van that had 8 times world champion on it then that was crossed out to say 9 times

yes it was and the 8 got crossed out and the nine put in when he won his 6th tilte while he rode at Hull. Kelly Moran had come 4th in the same final so there was a big celebration on their return. The result was Kelly "celebrated" a little too much and never made it past the 1st bend all night much to the fans amusment and Ian Thomas's descused

• Like 1

Just caught up with this thread. I'm so sad that this man who had a mind like a machine, so sharp, so organised, so far ahead of his rivals; is suffering with this awful disease. My father suffered with this before he passed away. I will never forget the day I went to see him and he didn't know who I was. It was utterly gut wrenching. My thoughts and prayers are with Ivan's family as much as the great man himself.

I count myself blessed I was able to have a good conversation with Ivan when he was over doing his book tour a couple of years ago. The signed copy of his book is one of my most treasured posessions. Even more so now.

• Like 1

That's so sad. I met Ivan a few years ago at Cardiff where he signed his book for me. Loved the guy when he rode for Belle Vue, hated him for a bit when he left (!), but I came around to totally respecting a great professional and the blue print for riders today to follow.

Ivan was the greatest of the greats and always will be I saw him ride many times and he was as perfect as you can get

It was a very sad day when we found out about his terrible illness he wiilalways be a hero to so many people

Steve

• Like 3