British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ommer Mon

Scunthorpe V Cradley (national League) 13th April 2014

Iv read somewhere only today, Sam has been riding for Milton Keynes, so Im only guessing, he could be another Teams assett.

Not sure he is anyone elses asset at moment (who knows who is these days the rules seem to change about apperances age league etc)

I know he was up here for a training day yesterday at scunny so may have been helping as a guest while up here and on that performance would love to see him fill in the gap our "Full team" has. However like a few other riders I don't think it is likely as believe he is from cornwall so would be a very long distance to travel so may not be able to commit.

Although people moan I bet several 3pt riders we have looked at appear in other NL teams during this season and probably quite soon!!

Are you suggesting the Young Stars move up (the simple truth is it will be anything but just Cradley who will be unhappy), because apparently Buster Chapman wasn't impressed last week ?

L:et be honest, the "Young Stars" are a joke. They have an average age only 11 months younger than the "stars" FFS! They have such up an coming rider as Mallett, Hughes and Cockle - who have all failed in the PL, years ago, and are now professional NL riders.

L:et be honest, the "Young Stars" are a joke. They have an average age only 11 months younger than the "stars" FFS! They have such up an coming rider as Mallett, Hughes and Cockle - who have all failed in the PL, years ago, and are now professional NL riders.

I think joke is a bit harsh but I have no intention of watching them at all this year, just nothing to look forward to in terms of development. With the Young Stars being our 'reserve' team it should be about finding riders for the future just like what Scunny are doing with the help from Matt Ford / Poole. I'm concerned that we've allowed Ford to move one step ahead yet again.

I should imagine that Scunny have set up the way that have down to Ford's investment as he'll be looking for future rider. Stags - Scorps - Pirates. Always one step ahead of the game and this is what King's Lynn / Buster should be doing.

National League = look to the future - not the past

• Like 1

That's harsh.

Lewis Kerr scored a maximum in the PL yesterday and 10 points in the EL on Friday. He's a product of the Young Stars. Lewis Rose scored 7 yesterday, beating the likes of Roynon, Compton & Lanham in his first season at that level. So is he.

If Scunthorpe can claim credit for the likes of Josh Auty, I see no reason why King's Lynn Young Stars can't claim Robert Lambert. He's riding in the EL, too.

I was very impressed with Josh Bailey the other day, another youngster blooded by Dale's team.

The difference between King's Lynn and Scunthorpe is that the Stars don't have the luxury of being able to run double header meetings. They can't just throw an MDL team in the NL, because no-one would go and watch it.

The difference to my mind is, the likes of Godfrey, Chapman, have the greater good of British Speedway at heart. Winning things at that level is not the main priorty. Other teams at this level have a different agenda. Ok, Lynn aint gonna produce 3 riders like Rose, Kerr and Lambert every season, the same goes for Scunny, But at least you can see what they are trying to acheive as a bigger picture. I am not sure the same could be said for certain other clubs at this level.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

The difference to my mind is, the likes of Godfrey, Chapman, have the greater good of British Speedway at heart. Winning things at that level is not the main priorty. Other teams at this level have a different agenda. Ok, Lynn aint gonna produce 3 riders like Rose, Kerr and Lambert every season, the same goes for Scunny, But at least you can see what they are trying to acheive as a bigger picture. I am not sure the same could be said for certain other clubs at this level.

Shouldn't be on this thread but name & shame the clubs

I think this is going to be a fallow year for the Young Stars after finishing last season with five youngsters in the side.....there are really just three this year with four experienced NL lads who almost certainly won't go any further. Like screamer I probably won't be paying to watch them too often but next year will probably be different again with one or two younger prospects unearthed. I'd like to see Darren Mallett along with six lads who are on the up, with two rookie reserves every year but that isn't always possible. Would be nice to think that out could happen in the future though.

The rest of them maybe??

so stoke mildenhall ,cradley all move up because they all believe its about winning ,where does that leave the national league? 5 teams left =no national league. You can knock cradley all you like but the national league will be a much poorer place without them. I just dont get this fixation with young riders . I want to see good speedway at all levels and quite frankly i dont care if a rider is 15 or 50 as long as its entertaining cause thats what im paying admission for

The trouble you have is the likes of Scunny can do what they are doing with no problem.They can bring in 6 new riders to the sport in 1 go.They have the luxury of a main PL team to fall back on for finances.If Mildenhall for example didn't build a team that could win on track at home and the odd meeting away,we would close as the crowds would drift.The hardcore base would stay I've no doubt about that,but you'd lose the people who only come every so often.

I think Mildenhall have got the balance right this year.Competitive team and a chance to bring on some youngsters.Our oldest rider I believe is Halsey and he's only 25/26.4 riders under 20 aswell.I couldn't be happier with the 7 we have.

• Like 2

The trouble you have is the likes of Scunny can do what they are doing with no problem.They can bring in 6 new riders to the sport in 1 go.They have the luxury of a main PL team to fall back on for finances.If Mildenhall for example didn't build a team that could win on track at home and the odd meeting away,we would close as the crowds would drift.The hardcore base would stay I've no doubt about that,but you'd lose the people who only come every so often.

The entire conundrum very well summed up !

The two sides in this argument are at loggerheads but they should be able to see that they are mutually dependent. The stand alones have to have opposition to fill out a season and the second teams need to test themselves against a mixture of opposition.

When Scunthorpe made their late bid to enter the NL this year I would presume that their intentions on team building would have been discussed with the other clubs at the NL AGM. If it was going to be a problem then the other clubs should not have accepted their entry.

• Like 1

the proof of whether Rob and Matt are doing is right will come at the end of the season when other promotors steal half their team as as in the past at Scunthorpe (Coventry and Cradley Heath to name 2)

I just ask one question, my final one on the subject. Why doesnt Mr Godfrey run the NL meetings as single meetings, rather than as double headers ?. I believe the answer is because not many will come to watch them at the present time. Yet other people on here expect supporters of other NL Teams to pay hard earned cash, to watch the self same team that the majority of Scunthorpe supporters dont want to watch.

I say this with no disrespect to any riders or supporters on here, its for the NL to sort out, by bridging the gap that seems to have emerged this year between certain teams, it can be done, and has to be done for the future of the NL.

I just ask one question, my final one on the subject. Why doesnt Mr Godfrey run the NL meetings as single meetings, rather than as double headers ?. I believe the answer is because not many will come to watch them at the present time. Yet other people on here expect supporters of other NL Teams to pay hard earned cash, to watch the self same team that the majority of Scunthorpe supporters dont want to watch.

I say this with no disrespect to any riders or supporters on here, its for the NL to sort out, by bridging the gap that seems to have emerged this year between certain teams, it can be done, and has to be done for the future of the NL.

Scunthorpe is a working town who's major employer has shed hundreds of jobs recently. Add in all the contracting firms who have also lost out locally because of the Steel Industry downturn and it is clear to see money is tight in the town.

Do you really expect the paying fans to pay out for Premier League meeting home and away and National League meetings home and away. The lucky few might be able to afford, but in reality most cannot. Premier League is not much of a lesser standard than Elite, however the gulf betwen Premier and National League is in my opinion huge. I will pay to watch Premier league because it is a better product and I have that choice. If I only had a National League side to watch locally then I would support them. You pays your money and takes your choice, double headers Prem and National league for us are good value.

On the Kings Lynn question, I think that Josh Bailey is well worth supporting this year. He showed promise in the second leg of the play off final last year and really got stuck in at Monmore Wood last week. Cockle, Hughes and Mallett all have a role to play in developing a young talent like that both on the track as well as in the pits.

That is the point that I am trying to make about Scunny. It was great that Sam Chapman rode so well yesterday but what did the other six learn and what did they feel like as they left the stadium. God forbid that any of them give up at this stage but if you have no role models to look to (on the track) how are they going to develop.

I'll be interested to see how many Scunny fans make the trip to Momnore. As Halifaxtiger said the promotion seem to have passed the financial risk of all of this to the other promoters.

To the Scunny lads I would say keep plugging away. The sport needs good British youngsters coming through but I feel it also owes them an obligation to try to provide the right support for that development.

so stoke mildenhall ,cradley all move up because they all believe its about winning ,where does that leave the national league? 5 teams left =no national league. You can knock cradley all you like but the national league will be a much poorer place without them. I just dont get this fixation with young riders . I want to see good speedway at all levels and quite frankly i dont care if a rider is 15 or 50 as long as its entertaining cause thats what im paying admission for

So Scunny, Lynn and maybe Buxton decide they are not prepared to finance a team at this development level, so you are still left with 5 teams. I thought the idea of a points limit as to at least start with an even playing field. As in most walks of life Money talks and the bigger clubs can cheery pick the riders they want. I think I read in this weeks Star that Scunny and Lynn are paying a tenner a point, so thats the level playing field out of the window straight away.

Cradley ( Dudley) had a great team last season, How many of those riders are elft from last term ? Yet most expect them to knock 7 bells out of most teams again this season. The question I am asking is, is this really good for Speedway ? Maybe Cradley/Dudley fans like to watch that kind of Speedway, I saw it at Lynn a few years back in The Premier League, and it became a bore fest.