British Speedway Forum
iris123

Now That Must Be A Record

I seem to remember being told that Alan Mogridge was the only rider ever to be declared for both the home and away team in the same meeting, obviously as rider replacement for one team and actually riding for the other.

I seem to remember being told that Alan Mogridge was the only rider ever to be declared for both the home and away team in the same meeting, obviously as rider replacement for one team and actually riding for the other.

I'm pretty certain thats not true. A rider once quit Oxford, they had a guest for him but he guested for the opposition. i'm sure I've read this somewhere.

I'm pretty certain thats not true. A rider once quit Oxford, they had a guest for him but he guested for the opposition. i'm sure I've read this somewhere.

But if he was replaced by a guest, he wouldn't have his name on both sides of the scorecard.

i recall a rider winning an individual meeting on a toss of the coin instead of a run off due to rain!

only in speedway...........

i recall a rider winning an individual meeting on a toss of the coin instead of a run off due to rain!

only in speedway...........

I remember that too, and it was pretty recent, but I can't quite remember who was involved.

I remember that too, and it was pretty recent, but I can't quite remember who was involved.

Krzysztof Kasprzak. World Under 21 Championship 2005 beating Tomas Suchanek.

only recently. a guest manager!!......

bank holiday, biggest day of yr in speedway, and endless gest riders all over the place. try explaining that to the newcomers!!

Jimmy Nilsen rode for BOTH teams in the 1989 KO Cup Final.

He rode for Cradley at Wolves and for Wolves at Cradley.

Only in Speedway!!!!

............and for the record we won!!!!

• Like 1

Also remember a story, about Ken Sharples and son (Paul) when they rode for Sunderland in the same team, 1964, and they actually had to share the one bike! Things were togh in them there days. How times have changed, nowadays even the untried youngster insists he has a shed-load of machines before turning out of bed, then spends the rest of the day tweeting how well he's gonna do!.

Possibly the John Davis situation in 1975. He signed for Reading, so Oxford could use a guest for him. So they used John Davis as a guest for himself.

• Like 2

Also remember a story, about Ken Sharples and son (Paul) when they rode for Sunderland in the same team, 1964, and they actually had to share the one bike! Things were togh in them there days. How times have changed, nowadays even the untried youngster insists he has a shed-load of machines before turning out of bed, then spends the rest of the day tweeting how well he's gonna do!.

Spot on with that Moxey63. :t:

We also had George Barclay and his son Terry Barclay ride for us in the 'Seventies' too. :t:

Considering that there was only four years racing at Sunderland in the Seventies and only NINE Home Meetings in 1964 - I think that is quite an interesting stat.

• Like 1

Here's another "Only In Speedway" moment. Belle Vue reached the 1990 KOC Final, beating Reading in the semis, but were then kicked out of the showdown days later, Reading protesting that Peter Ravn's name (the Dane withholding his services for the Aces) wasn't printed in the line-up in the programme, in which Aces used Rider Replacement. The only crime... Ravn not lised in the line-up,just a blank spot.

Oh, how we laughed, days later... having cheered the Aces to the Final, then read they had been kicked out by some rule-book loophole unearthed by Tim Sugar, Reading boss at the time.

Over the years, many riders have scored half of their team's total points in an individual match, but John Boulger (pretty sure it was him) actually scored half of his team's points - AND THEY WERE THE WINNING SIDE! 20 out of 40, I think, so if anyone can confirm, please?

Steve

• Like 1