British Speedway Forum
iris123

Now That Must Be A Record

Over the years, many riders have scored half of their team's total points in an individual match, but John Boulger (pretty sure it was him) actually scored half of his team's points - AND THEY WERE THE WINNING SIDE! 20 out of 40, I think, so if anyone can confirm, please?

Steve

I remember Finn Thomsen scoring about 21 for Wolves at Swindon, and Wolves winning. I can't remember the exact score and exact result, but it could be another case of that.

• Like 1

Wasn't Henny Kroeze of all riders, the first to do a 21pt max?

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

I'm pretty certain thats not true. A rider once quit Oxford, they had a guest for him but he guested for the opposition. i'm sure I've read this somewhere.

Not quite the same, and not the first time, but Rene Bach is guesting for Ipswich against Peterborough this Good Friday afternoon and then guesting for Panthers against the itches at the EOES in the evening. Unfortunately I'm afraid it won't be the last time. ONLY in speedway!

Over the years, many riders have scored half of their team's total points in an individual match, but John Boulger (pretty sure it was him) actually scored half of his team's points - AND THEY WERE THE WINNING SIDE! 20 out of 40, I think, so if anyone can confirm, please?

Steve

Cradley 40 (John Boulger 21)

Reading 38 (Proch 9)

The Heathens used r/r for Bernie Persson and under the 1976 rules their was the opportunity for riders to have multiple r/r rides

• Like 2

I think the Alan Mogridge story relates to a Rye House v Canterbury fixture where both sides used rider replacement for him or one side did and he rode for the other. Can't remember the year though to check it out.

Henny Kroeze was the first to do the seven ride maximum, in 1976 and not long before the John Boulger instance mentioned earlier.

Cradley 40 (John Boulger 21)

Reading 38 (Proch 9)

The Heathens used r/r for Bernie Persson and under the 1976 rules their was the opportunity for riders to have multiple r/r rides

Thanks for confirming that!

Grachan, I don't recall Finn Thomsen doing that, but I trust you...

Yes, there have been a number of 21-point maximum's, but Henny Kroeze was the first, and not long after scoring 20, I believe, Iris.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Wasn't Henny Kroeze of all riders, the first to do a 21pt max?

Ivan Mauger got a 21point max at Poole for Newcastle in about 1965.

Edited by Tsunami

In 1968, Nigel Boocock scored 16pts out of the Coventry team total of 24, as the Bees lost 54-24 at Wimbledon.

Impressive to say the least.

• Like 1

To me, as sad as I may seem, I feel speedway doesn't have a trivai and fact (stats) book containing everything you require to know - a sort of Anorak's Guide To The Strange World Of Speedway.

Personally loved Bryan Seery's stats and facts way back in the day, the Oakes yearbooks and such, but speedway does need a publication detailing those ONLY IN SPEEDWAY occasions AND OTHER INTERESTING FACTS.

Any serious sport should have a genuine and serious publication as such...

Here's a fact I always remember.... Les McGillivray, Hackney, went something like seven seasons without missing a single official match between 1965 and 71.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL AMAZING!

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

I remember Finn Thomsen scoring about 21 for Wolves at Swindon, and Wolves winning. I can't remember the exact score and exact result, but it could be another case of that.

That could have been the night they wanted to test his engine, but when they told him they would not put it together again,he refused and left.

• Like 1

Here's one that we all know, Mark Loram is the only rider to win the world championship without winning a single Grands Prix that year.

I don't know if it's ever been done at another time, but Reading did win three times in three days in three different nations (at Edinburugh, at home and at Newport, I think)

Can't remember the final score but Ben Howe scored 22 points for Mildenhall away at Wimbledon in 2002/2003.Never seen a performance like it

Edited by adz_mft

Colin McKee for Poole in 1966 took every one of his programmed rides, and didn't take a tactical substitute in any either!

Edited by Penny Cross
  • Like 1

That could have been the night they wanted to test his engine, but when they told him they would not put it together again,he refused and left.

Yes, that's right. It was a Midland Cup match at Swindon, 21 August 1976

Swindon 42 (Martin Ashby 10 Bob Kilby 10)

Wolverhampton 36 (Finn Thomsen 20)

Same night as Henny Kroeze scored his 21 point max against Birmingham.

When Swindon returned to Monmore Green for a Gulf British League match on 3 September, the Robins operated R/R for Bob Kilby and Martin Ashby scored 21 points from eight rides.

Woverhampton 41 (Finn Thomsen 13)

Swindon 37 (Martin Ashby 21)