British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blobby

Edinburgh V Glasgow (lc) 18/4/14 @ 7.30pm

Well Right said were do we start it is the easiest thing to do in support a winning team and that is something the Edinburgh fans are used to in-fact over the last 10-15 years they have been the most consistent team in the league by a distance.

It is when a team is not doing as well as perhaps they might that it isn't alway's as easy to go and watch your team being continually turned over as we normally have to bar one or two exceptions but in general we do turn up and support our team.

But in general terms when things aren't going so well through smugville that is when the travelling fans impersonate the invisible man as i have seen for myself over the not so good years for yourself's so for you or any Monarch to preach to us about travelling to support our team is at best Laughable and proves the point most on here think about how highly most of the Edinbutgh fan's think of there self-importance albeit it really is only yourself's that think that the rest of us couldn't give a s**t.

Well I traveled and followed my team no matter what and yes its easy to follow a winning team but following them when not going well is just the same as it's my team. That included going to Shawfield 93&94 when before I even arrived at the stadium I knew we were in for a beating! Edited by fred

Despite the worst efforts of the Minion PR machine on here I found myself at the home of the micro mentality and micro climate tonight.

All in all, a good nights entertainment with very encouraging performances from Kevin and Theo.

The best of the entertainment being provided by Craig Cook ... the highlight being his imitation of Jim Davidson.

His joke about Hitler being Kevin Wolbert's uncle resulted in his interview being cut short whilst in his prime.

You could almost hear the Embra blue rinse brigade choking on their G&T's ... in mock disapproval.

Get yersel doon the Comedy Club Cookie Monster!

On the track, his duels with Wolbert, Harrison and Pijper got the crowd going and only Wolbert succeeded in lowering his colours.

Cook is certainly justified in his programme comments ...

"If a rider like Martin Smolinski can qualify (for the GPs) then I am dam sure that I can"

Cook has obviously found his spiritual home in Smugville.

Coming from third to first in heat 15 was quite superb, especially considering this was his second meeting of the day.

Edinburgh were there for the taking tonight. Wolbert and Pijper showing much better form than of late.

If Lemon had stayed on his bike and we'd had our two Danish reserves, a shock result wouldn't have been unjustified.

Having said that, I've just remembered Dimitri clearly didn't fancy the trick track tonight.

A decent Glasgow support was present. Would you have blamed them for staying at home or going to Arran after the Dumb and Dumber PR company's best efforts to put supporters off. I'm sure Edinburgh need people through the turnstiles. Leave the PR to the experts guys!

So I waited with baited breath to see our two British reserves.

How can I put this ... from the Craig Cook school of diplomacy .... I have more points on my driving licence!

Start of heat 8 and one of them is on the track. I wasn't sure if he was going to the tapes or finishing heat 4!

Wolbert was suberb, back to the rider we all hoped we'd signed.

Fast from the gate, and fast on the track ... looked like his Uncle had stuck a V2 rocket up his Rhone Valley.

Kevin, please show us on Sunday this wasn't a flash in the pan!!

Theo, two wins and leading Cook from the tapes for 3 laps of heat 15 - welcome improvement big man.

Rusty was in the mix and without doubt our most entertaining rider this season so far.

Try the inside line at Armadale mate, we love you flying around the dirt, but the inside is the way to go at the tricky tracky.

Dimitri - see you Sunday.

Lemmo - Mmmmhhh?

For Edinburgh

Apart from Cook, the highlight had to be Aaron Fox's nose bleed in heat 8 ... managed a second in front of Berge and McBain whilst they were giving it their best attempts of "No, after you. I insist"

Fox came over as a really decent bloke in his interview and I do hope he comes good.

The rest, well to be honest I didn't think they looked as good as the two fence fund meetings.

Maybe Glasgow were just better, or there was a bit of complacency.

With the exception of Worrall, who rode at Poole earlier, I honestly was a bit disappointed.

Having said that, they won and we didn't.

Roll on Sunday!!!

Edited by george.m
  • Like 5

Well I traveled and followed my team no matter what and yes its easy to follow a winning team but followimg them when not going well is just the ssme as it's my team. That included going to Shawfield 93&94 when before I even arrived at the stadium I knew we were in for a beating!

I was referring to the more recent past Fred when the 2 man & a dog travelling support from the East was the norm for a couple off seasons you haven't got a dog by any chance have you Fred ? .

• Like 1

Despite the worst efforts of the Minion PR machine on here I found myself at the home of the micro mentality and micro climate tonight.

All in all, a good nights entertainment with very encouraging performances from Kevin and Theo.

The best of the entertainment being provided by Craig Cook ... the highlight being his imitation of Jim Davidson.

His joke about Hitler being Kevin Wolbert's uncle resulted in his interview being cut off whilst in his prime.

You could almost hear the Embra blue rinse brigade choking on their G&T's ... in mock disapproval.

Get yersel doon the Comedy Club Cookie Monster!

On the track, his duels with Wolbert, Harrison and Pijper got the crowd going and only Wolbert succeeded in lowering his colours.

Cook is certainly justified in his programme comments ...

"If a rider like Martin Smolinski can qualify (for the GPs) then I am dam sure that I can"

Cook has obviously found his spiritual home in Smugville.

Coming from third to first in heat 15 was quite superb, especially considering this was his second meeting of the day.

Edinburgh were there for the taking tonight. Wolbert and Pijper showing much better form than of late.

If Lemon had stayed on his bike and we'd had our two Danish reserves, a shock result wouldn't have been unjustified.

Having said that, I've just remembered Dimitri clearly didn't fancy the trick track tonight.

A decent Glasgow support was present. Would you have blamed them for staying at home or going to Arran after the Dumb and Dumber PR company's best efforts to put supporters off. I'm sure Edinburgh need people through the turnstiles. Leave the PR to the experts guys!

So I waited with baited breath to see our two British reserves.

How can I put this ... from the Craig Cook school of diplomacy .... I have more points on my driving licence!

Start of heat 8 and one of them is on the track. I wasn't sure if he was going to the tapes or finishing heat 4!

Wolbert was suberb, back to the rider we all hoped we'd signed.

Fast from the gate, and fast on the track ... looked like his Uncle had stuck a V2 rocket up his Rhone Valley.

Kevin, please show us on Sunday this wasn't a flash in the pan!!

Theo, two wins and leading Cook from the tapes for 3 laps of heat 15 - welcome improvement big man.

Rusty was in the mix and without doubt our most entertaining rider this season so far.

Try the inside line at Armadale mate, we love you flying around the dirt, but the inside is the way to go at the tricky tracky.

Dimitri - see you Sunday.

Lemmo - Mmmmhhh?

For Edinburgh

Apart from Cook, the highlight had to be Aaron Fox's nose bleed in heat 8 ... managed a second in front of Berge and McBain whilst they were giving it their best attempts of "No, after you. I insist"

Fox came over as a really decent bloke in his interview and I do hope he comes good.

The rest, well to be honest I didn't think they looked as good as the two fence fund meetings.

Maybe Glasgow were just better, or there was a bit of complacency.

With the exception of Worrall, who rode at Poole earlier, I honestly was a bit disappointed.

Having said that, they won and we didn't.

Roll on Sunday!!!

LMAO excellent post George. Things are looking a bit more promising after tonight, looking forward to Sunday :D

• Like 2

Hilarious george.m well put , particularly liked the bit about Dimitri and James " No, after you , I insist ". I thought we did well considering, my original guess was , we would be lucky to hit 30, so well done lads. Kevin = Brilliant, more of the same on Sunday please

Theo = great to see him back to form,

Rusty = exciting to watch, would be easier if he could get his gating boots on

Lemo = great first ride and seemed to be trying to hard after that, must be his worst result for us so far

Dimitri = really doesn't like Armadale, should get some points on Sunday ( hopefully )

looking forward to Sunday and hopefully our first win

• Like 1

My view of things tonight from a balmy Dale that ended up freezing!

Close meeting for 5 heats as Monarchs old boys rode like Monarchs! Despite the Tigers providing 4/5 heat winners from the start they never looked like having enough back up to cause an upset. Only 2 heat avantages, one with the aid of a joker.
Most of the excitement and talking points came later on with heats 13/15 being great races - incredible from Cookie in 15! I can't understand why Worrall was excluded in ht 12. I was on the hill above bend one and what I saw was Rusty trying to turn hard inside Stevie and just clipping his back wheel. Thankfully both were up quickly and Max got the win in the re-run.
For the unbeatables, Cookie looked slower out of the gate but that certainly made his races exciting! Aaron scored a great 7+1, ok mostly against the reserves and Berge but he was beating Lemon comfortably in heat 10 before Mark sat down for a rest. Max looked a bit slower early on but still scored 7, that's fine. Derek made a fine return from injury with a good win in ht 14. Sam only dropped points to Theo and Kevin for a solid 7. Justin and Stevie only scored paid 19 I think - they are slipping lol.
For Glasgow, Kevin and Theo were excellent, their fans will hope that is repeated weekly. Berge - first time I've saw him, tidy enough but was usually off the pace. Rusty and Lemon got a few points, but Glasgow will want more from them. The reserves weren't really on the pace, thought McBain might have been a bit closer.
With Monarchs having 2 heat leaders and the rest with a starting average under 6, I thought this was the type of match where we might struggle against a team more evenly balanced, the absence of the Danes made it easier, but the Monarchs dug in deep and all seven riders combined for a good win.
So Monarchs fans will be delighted with a record breaking start to the season, Tigers fans will be happy with Theo and especially Kevin.

My big disappointment of the night though was not getting an Easter egg from Ed the Monarch - would I be a bad Grandad if I ate Abby's while she sleeps?

Edited by DavyH
  • Like 1

Thought we were poor tonight especially after the way we have performed over the last few weeks but we got the job done which in the end all that matters.

It was like watching last season all over again tonight stinking from the gate and having to do it the hard way but it's not bad to watch mind you when you have cookie giving full gas round the air fence! Hopefully we will be a bit quicker from the traps on Sunday and make it 8 from 8 but not to sure if we will though.

Edited by Mr Blobby

I think poor is a tad harsh blobby, with Glasgow racing 2 novices at reserve and berge looking poor the result was never in doubt. As per usual we had a slow start but with Kevin and Theo back to their best the tigers put in a decent effort. If the 2 Danes had been there it could have got very interesting but I think we had another gear to go into.

Aaron took a big step in the right direction, passing berge in heat 1, making some good starts and first bends. Deservedly beating lemon and not far from rusty in ht10. Sunday is a big one for him to show he can compete with those guys.

Cookie was exceptional in 13 and 15, as he admitted himself he was probably slightly under prepared for ht1 as a result of the travel from Manchester. He wasn't gating tonight but as a speedway fan he can do that every week if he produces that standard of passing.

However Justin was the stand out for me, ht7 was important with monarchs only 4 ahead lemon and rusty looking their strongest pairing and best chance of a heat advantage. First run Sam and Justin made a great gate and were off into the distance when lemon fell. On 2nd run rusty made a much better gate and split the monarchs but Justin put the pressure on and forced a mistake. Rusty went down and struggled to get going just to pick up the one point, tigers advantage averted match over. He was beaten by wolbert in 11 but a brilliant team ride with deek in ht14, Justin took the harder inside line slowing allow his captain round him on every corner, classy. He more than deserved his nomination in ht15 and then demonstrated why. Made a great gate from the outside and was putting pressure on Theo for the lead for2 laps, he recognised it was cookie coming fast behind so pulled over allowing him through with little fuss and not losing speed himself. A well earned scalp of Kevin wolbert and allowed cookie to bring the house down with a great pass over Theo.

Sam is still adjusting to the dale as a home track but still got that vital win in ht7, if he masters his home track no one will get near us at armadale this season. Max, Derek and Stevie had quieter night than what they had set previous this season, but all still scored good points and had at least one ht win.

Edited by scotchopper
  • Like 1

Most of the excitement and talking points came later on with heats 13/15 being great races - incredible from Cookie in 15! I can't understand why Worrall was excluded in ht 12. I was on the hill above bend one and what I saw was Rusty trying to turn hard inside Stevie and just clipping his back wheel. Thankfully both were up quickly and Max got the win in the re-run.

I couldn't figure that one out either Davy.

From the shed at bend one it looked at first like Worrall had locked up and Rusty had laid down.

Then when I saw the repeats on the EMTV the only definitive conclusion was I need to go to SpecSavers!

Maybees the ref just wanted to show a red card to the Minions after handing out a couple of yellows for blatant cheating at the start to Frickle and Worrall? :rolleyes:

Despite the ref praising the track post-meeting, I thought it looked difficult for riders for the first half.

Wetter than a Bandit's panties last weekend.

Can understand the need to water with the glorious micro climate weather through the day.

Which heat was it first watered during the meeting?

I thought there was quite a decent Tigers support there last night all things considered. Really happy with the way the boys performed. Confident we can get the first win on the board tomorrow

• Like 1

13 's a cracker, Thought Theo would have done better in sticking tight which really is his line.

13 's a cracker, Thought Theo would have done better in sticking tight which really is his line.

A few times last night he was on no man's land middle line.

Also thought we could have done better at clamping down Edinburgh riders on bends 1 and 2 a few times.

Also thought we could have done better at clamping down Edinburgh riders on bends 1 and 2 a few times.

A lament Tiggers fans have had since even Parker & Bird could never manage it