British Speedway Forum
Mjolnir

Lakeside V Swindon - Elb 25/04/14

If were talking about smooth riding Karlsson is the "Daddy" of them all literally the man never ceases to amaze me after a bumpy start by his standards looks like normal service has resummed :lol: .

• Like 4

Even more confused now yerropes, as you haven't answered my question.

What question was that PP ?

yerropes see post 101.

Hi Proud Panther, it took me a while to find your original post to which I was referring as it's on another thread, it is quoted in red below :-

"Have to laugh when I hear complaints about the reserves deciding meetings. The likes of Smolinski, Jepsen Jensen etc have done the same over the last season or 2, so whats the difference ?"

I would say that the difference with the reserve situation this season is that the majority of the NL riders in the EL mostly score points only off each other and the heats that they are involved in are usually predictable and often strung-out too. Add to that, the fact that some team's reserves are so much better (or so much worse) than other teams means that results of Elite League meetings can and are being determined by the strength of a side's National League riders - not good !. With the likes of Smolinski or Jepsen Jensen (or Auty or Howarth etc etc) at reserve you would have reserve riders who can at least compete, whilst the NL guys are mostly just 'out of their depth' - I would emphasize that this is not a dig at them as I know they are doing best in difficult circumstances.

This is a contributing factor as to why I have yet to attend a meeting this season, I have 'streamed' quite a few and will no doubt attend when the warmer evenings arrive and the enthusiasm hopefully returns. Only a couple of years ago I used to take various people, one by one they have drifted away from the sport and not one is currently interested. Elite League Speedway (as it is) is just no longer of major importance to them (or me for that matter), it has become too 'watered down' and the shenanigans within the sport are a huge turnoff too.

Below is the Swindon side Vs BHam Aug 6 2012, compare it to the 2014 team, yet prices since then have gone up (in 2103 if I remember correctly) - £17 entrance, £1.50 parking, £2.50 programme (I'm unaware whether this has gone up this year) - £21 in total - is that really good 'value for money' for the 2104 product ?

1. Hans Andersen

2. Jason Doyle

3. Simon Stead

4. Troy Batchelor

5. Peter Kildemand

6. Nick Morris

7, David Lampart

BTW...Swindon won 48-42 and Smolinski scored 13+1 from reserve..

I know that Swindon haven't done especially well out of the 'draft' (Bates etc), but this post is not 'sour grapes' on my part, I just want to see close, competitive and exciting meetings regardless of the result...

• Like 2

Hi Proud Panther, it took me a while to find your original post to which I was referring as it's on another thread, it is quoted in red below :-

"Have to laugh when I hear complaints about the reserves deciding meetings. The likes of Smolinski, Jepsen Jensen etc have done the same over the last season or 2, so whats the difference ?"

I would say that the difference with the reserve situation this season is that the majority of the NL riders in the EL mostly score points only off each other and the heats that they are involved in are usually predictable and often strung-out too. Add to that, the fact that some team's reserves are so much better (or so much worse) than other teams means that results of Elite League meetings can and are being determined by the strength of a side's National League riders - not good !. With the likes of Smolinski or Jepsen Jensen (or Auty or Howarth etc etc) at reserve you would have reserve riders who can at least compete, whilst the NL guys are mostly just 'out of their depth' - I would emphasize that this is not a dig at them as I know they are doing best in difficult circumstances.

This is a contributing factor as to why I have yet to attend a meeting this season, I have 'streamed' quite a few and will no doubt attend when the warmer evenings arrive and the enthusiasm hopefully returns. Only a couple of years ago I used to take various people, one by one they have drifted away from the sport and not one is currently interested. Elite League Speedway (as it is) is just no longer of major importance to them (or me for that matter), it has become too 'watered down' and the shenanigans within the sport are a huge turnoff too.

Below is the Swindon side Vs BHam Aug 6 2012, compare it to the 2014 team, yet prices since then have gone up (in 2103 if I remember correctly) - £17 entrance, £1.50 parking, £2.50 programme (I'm unaware whether this has gone up this year) - £21 in total - is that really good 'value for money' for the 2104 product ?

1. Hans Andersen

2. Jason Doyle

3. Simon Stead

4. Troy Batchelor

5. Peter Kildemand

6. Nick Morris

7, David Lampart

I know that Swindon haven't done especially well out of the 'draft' (Bates etc), but this post is not 'sour grapes' on my part, I just want to see close, competitive and exciting meetings regardless of the result...

Top, top post.

1. Hans Andersen

2. Jason Doyle

3. Simon Stead

4. Troy Batchelor

5. Peter Kildemand

6. Nick Morris

7, David Lampart

Well said that man & people fail to realise that before this season there was a points limit for all 7 riders so teams went strong top 5 or made sure they had strength at reserve which is obvious when you look at Swindon's team who if I remember had Doyley, Simon, & Nick all have spells at reserve.