British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andrewrunagall

Free "once A Jolly Swagman" Screening In London Next Week…

As of next week around London, there is a free film festival happening around the City, I took a look as the list and didn't really see anything worth watching at first, but then I saw that on Thursday 1st May at 7:45PM, the café/bar "No. 178" in New Cross is going to be screening "Once A Jolly Swagman".

More info here: http://www.freefilmfestivals.org/whats-on/new-cross/details/262-once-a-jolly-swagman.html

Edited by andrewrunagall
  • Like 1

As of next week around London, there is a free film festival happening around the City, I took a look as the list and didn't really see anything worth watching at first, but then I saw that on Thursday 1st May at 7:45PM, the café/bar "No. 178" in New Cross is going to be screening "Once A Jolly Swagman".

More info here: http://www.freefilmfestivals.org/whats-on/new-cross/details/262-once-a-jolly-swagman.html

That is good. The film, I understand, was filmed at New Cross, so poignant. The 'frying pan'.

Not seen that since I was a kid so don't remember much about it.

But watched a YouTube clip with a race between Dirk Bogarde and Bill Owen which I found amusing.

It seemed speedway was some kind of 'death sport' like Rollerball.

Also in the crowd behind the love interest was a bloke in a suit and tie smoking a cigarette out of a cigarette holder so the crowd was a lot posher than in my day :)

Still good to see renewed interest in the film and hope it attracts a good number of viewers during the festival although when any newbies decide they liked what they saw and ask where the nearest speedway can be seen it will be to it's detriment that there is not one London track.

• Like 1