British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Hunter

Leicester Track Break In

Not a single construtive comment, just snidey, tedious and downright unsympathetic remarks attacking all that is Leicester Speedway. You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves..

Hope they find the toerags who did this and lock em away, in a dark and dinghy cell with just stale bread and water and a concrete bed. But they won't because the little unloved darlings that have no respect for anyone else or their property or belongings will end up in a cushy prison with free Sky, x boxes, playstations, pool tables and plenty of free snout and £800 compo when a warder breaks their bic razor !!!!

Disgusted

• Like 1

Hope they haven't nicked the new golf buggy. :shock:

You're all heart!!!

Sorry to hear about this, Was there on Saturday for the Eastbourne meeting and agree it's nothing to joke about. It has taken alot of hard work and money to get where they have to so far and to suffer this is not really funny, I know I would hate it if it happened at Eastbourne.

• Like 1

No you wouldn't if it was the first time something like this had happened. We have already had a break in where someone set fire to the pits area caused extensive damage, plus the loss of a bumper night's takings due to a robbery. Scunthorpe suffered from break-ins, theft & damage a couple of years ago, & came very close to closing through it, but I don't recall anyone thinking it was remotely funny at the time.

More recently, Edinburgh have had the same problem, but again nobody thought it was a big joke, & will you all be laughing in three years time when Coventry gets demolished?

Call my over sensitive & lacking a sense of humour by all means, but all I ever read on this forum are negative, repetitive, snidey comments about Leicester & the Leicester promotion. no, we don't have a perfect racetrack by any means, but the club doesn't deserve the constant barrage of bad publicity it receives in here. It would, in my opinion, be a sad loss to speedway if it was forced to close through no fault of the club's.

I guess my lack of humour is my own fault, I should know better than to even look at the forum, even rarely, these days. Lt.

No-one likes to see speedway clubs suffer crime and I agree with that point totally.

However, do you not think that in many ways all the "negative" comments you refer to towards the club are brought upon themselves? After all, the promoter himself said in the Speedway Star a couple of weeks back that he had to "break a few eggs to make an omelette". Leaving aside that he actually made scrambled eggs rather than an omelette, if your modus operandi is to continually look after number one and generally pee off a whole succession of people around you, then you're going to get some of it come back at you. It's almost inevitable in any walk of life.

Also, wasn't it him that designed and implemented the useless track that everyone moans about? Most of the negative criticism centres on that fact and it's hard to deflect it away when the club are seemingly in denial about it, and as such have done what amounts to virtually nothing to correct it. As a result it's inevitable the "criticism" just keeps on coming and the only surprise it that people such as yourself are surprised by it. Leicester fans waited 28 years for speedway to return but still ended up with one of, if not the, worst track in the country.

By the way, the "bumper night's takings" robbery was after the Premier Fours meeting in August 2011, which were the BSPA's takings.

• Like 2

No-one likes to see speedway clubs suffer crime and I agree with that point totally.

However, do you not think that in many ways all the "negative" comments you refer to towards the club are brought upon themselves? After all, the promoter himself said in the Speedway Star a couple of weeks back that he had to "break a few eggs to make an omelette". Leaving aside that he actually made scrambled eggs rather than an omelette, if your modus operandi is to continually look after number one and generally pee off a whole succession of people around you, then you're going to get some of it come back at you. It's almost inevitable in any walk of life.

Also, wasn't it him that designed and implemented the useless track that everyone moans about? Most of the negative criticism centres on that fact and it's hard to deflect it away when the club are seemingly in denial about it, and as such have done what amounts to virtually nothing to correct it. As a result it's inevitable the "criticism" just keeps on coming and the only surprise it that people such as yourself are surprised by it. Leicester fans waited 28 years for speedway to return but still ended up with one of, if not the, worst track in the country.

By the way, the "bumper night's takings" robbery was after the Premier Fours meeting in August 2011, which were the BSPA's takings.

Firstly, I'm not defending anything that David Hemsley, or anyone else connected with the promotion may or may not haver done, or how many people they may or may not have peed off along the way. What I am saying is that:

1) For three years & more we have had people like Volty, Robert72 etc. continually banging on about the track over & over again to the point that it just looks desperate & childish. We got the message a very long time ago. I personally think the track is far from perfect & needs sorting out, but regardless of whether that work is ever done, I have made a conscious decision to support my team & continue to pay my entrance money every week. That is my decision & the decision of every other person who chooses to do the same. If however you are so unhappy with the track, or any other aspect regarding Leicester speedway, then you have the option of not attending, & if enough people choose to stay away, then there are two options left for the people who run the business, they either close the thing down, or they make the necessary changes. The people who continually knock everything Leicester in here are perfectly entitled to make their feelings known, & they too can either support the team or stay at home. What doesn't help anyone is the constant repetitive posts made over & over again, which, after three years have lost any credibility.

I hope that changes to the track will be made eventually, but I'm not holding my breath.

2) As far as the "bumper night's takings" robbery is concerned, does it really matter if it was the BSPA's money, or Leicester speedway's? It still doesn't alter the fact that the latest break in is the third serious blow to the business in three years. How many times can the speedway keep running if incidents like this continue (Milton Keynes anyone)?

I certainly do have a sense of humour, & try to be as fair as possible with people, but last night, after only just hearing about the break in, I had a look at the forum expecting just a tiny smidgeon of sympathy....how wrong can you be. A bit of banter hurts no one, but I thought it went way beyond that. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyway, I'll leave everyone to their own opinions & just keep supporting my team for as long as they continue. Lt.

Edited by Liontamer
  • Like 3

Firstly, I'm not defending anything that David Hemsley, or anyone else connected with the promotion may or may not haver done, or how many people they may or may not have peed off along the way. What I am saying is that:

1) For three years & more we have had people like Volty, Robert72 etc. continually banging on about the track over & over again to the point that it just looks desperate & childish. We got the message a very long time ago. I personally think the track is far from perfect & needs sorting out, but regardless of whether that work is ever done, I have made a conscious decision to support my team & continue to pay my entrance money every week. That is my decision & the decision of every other person who chooses to do the same. If however you are so unhappy with the track, or any other aspect regarding Leicester speedway, then you have the option of not attending, & if enough people choose to stay away, then there are two options left for the people who run the business, they either close the thing down, or they make the necessary changes. The people who continually knock everything Leicester in here are perfectly entitled to make their feelings known, & they too can either support the team or stay at home. What doesn't help anyone is the constant repetitive posts made over & over again, which, after three years have lost any credibility.

I hope that changes to the track will be made eventually, but I'm not holding my breath.

2) As far as the "bumper night's takings" robbery is concerned, does it really matter if it was the BSPA's money, or Leicester speedway's? It still doesn't alter the fact that the latest break in is the third serious blow to the business in three years. How many times can the speedway keep running if incidents like this continue (Milton Keynes anyone)?

I certainly do have a sense of humour, & try to be as fair as possible with people, but last night, after only just hearing about the break in, I had a look at the forum expecting just a tiny smidgeon of sympathy....how wrong can you be. A bit of banter hurts no one, but I thought it went way beyond that. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyway, I'll leave everyone to their own opinions & just keep supporting my team for as long as they continue. Lt.

I didn't think that, when I posted news of the break in, that it would degenerate into yet another debate about the track!

I didn't think that, when I posted news of the break in, that it would degenerate into yet another debate about the track!

And have you learned from your foolishness?

You're all heart!!!

Well, I might need that soon with my dodgy knees. :lol:

I agree with nearly everything you say and I too will keep on attending and supporting the lads,I just wish that my pulse would get above normal whilst watching most of the racing!
  • Like 1

Actually, the bar takings which were the clubs!!

I think this is a very fair post but I am not sure I agree with all of it.

I certainly think the point about Leicester's track has been made over and over again but, let's face it, its not just Robert and Volty, its virtually everyone. True, it does become repetitive but the alternative is that no-one says anything, and clearly to me that is the less preferable option.

I am not sure about childish but desperate is about right. Desperate to see things improve. You yourself want that; is it more likely to happen if you make noise about it or not ?

I am also not sure about Robert but Volty strikes me as a passionate Leicester fan who is upset and frustrated that the team he loves are slowly going down hill as a result of a promoter who apparently thinks that tracks like Scunthorpe are boring and is glad that he doesn't have one like it. That, to me, is the view of someone who doesn't live on this planet.

In the end, though, you're right in that it comes down to individual choice and what you do with your money. Isn't it a shame, though, that with the quality of the stadium that you have at BP you have a track that is putting literally hundreds off attending and a promoter who not only refuses to make changes but refuses to even admit they are necessary ?

I thought AF's comment was hilarious but the break in is anything but. In truth, it should have attracted more sympathy than it did because no-one wants to see any track suffer a financial loss of this nature.

• Like 7

Sad to hear this has happened hope most can be recovered through insurance etc.

The "bumber night takings robbery" was not a matter of whose money it was but a young girl and her father going about their business only to be physically and violently threatened. I remember seeing the Hemsleys at Plymouth a week or so after and they were all still visably shaken by what had happened so correct no laughing matter.

I do though think the part in bold is a little off the mark considering in the first season Volty was as much as a supporter of the promotion and the Lions return as most on here. He, in his opinion and from what I read, only became disillusined when promised track changes etc that he brought seasons tickets on the back of didn't happen.

Edited by bornagainlion

It's sometimes not hard to see why this forum is so disliked by many within the sport.

Covered by insurance or not it's a massive loss to any club, even if the payout covers it in full next years premiums will hurt financially. A bit of sympathy for a club that's just suffered a major blow would have been a more suitable reaction I believe.

It's a great little stadium and the efforts to improve the track over the past couple of years are there for anybody who looks to see. In my opinion they will hit on a solution that will provide more lines before very much longer with the work being carried out. Out of the experts on here advising them what needs doing I wonder how many have the experience of either riding or producing a Speedway track that Glyn has? Like most things what looks blindingly obvious to those with a little knowledge is actually not so through the eyes of those who have genuine expertise.

• Like 1

It's sometimes not hard to see why this forum is so disliked by many within the sport.

Covered by insurance or not it's a massive loss to any club, even if the payout covers it in full next years premiums will hurt financially. A bit of sympathy for a club that's just suffered a major blow would have been a more suitable reaction I believe.

It's a great little stadium and the efforts to improve the track over the past couple of years are there for anybody who looks to see. In my opinion they will hit on a solution that will provide more lines before very much longer with the work being carried out. Out of the experts on here advising them what needs doing I wonder how many have the experience of either riding or producing a Speedway track that Glyn has? Like most things what looks blindingly obvious to those with a little knowledge is actually not so through the eyes of those who have genuine expertise.

A variation on the 'you can't know unless you've done it yourself' argument, which does a disservice to supporters who genuinely care. It's no mystery, one doesn't need to be a rider or track preparation guru to see the dimensions of the track are inhibiting close racing.

What 'efforts to improve the track' have been made? Shaving a tiny amount off the inside line on the entry and exits to the bends was declared a masterstroke by the 'experts' but has actually made no discernable difference.

It's a crying shame that the 'genuine expertise' that is apparently such a prized commodity wasn't used in the first place before the track was built.

Edited by Leicester Lion
  • Like 1