British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Craftman

Who Gets The Biggest Attendances ? Who Gets The Worst ?

After watching the Peterborough match in the PL tonight and seeing a half empty stand , which teams are the crowd pullers and who are the Wigan of EL speedway ??

For the record , as a Stoke fan we're lucky to get above 200 on a good day , unless Dudley/Cradley are in town .

Attendances are very much a cloak and dagger subject in speedway. I have never heard of any official figures being published and often where numbers are hinted at they are either suspiciously high or low to suit the spin of the provider.

FWIW at Ipswich my estimate would be a hardcore of around 900 with the norm being around 1200 and the bumper bank holiday levels as high as 2500-3000.

I think its fair to say Poole and Coventry get the biggest crowds and Birmingham the lowest. Difficult to know actual crowd levels, you could have a very good crowd at Brandon and it still look fairly empty.

• Like 2

For a few years the Oxford programme always had the attendances in the results section.

when newport switched to a saturday night the crowds were 300ish dropping to 200ish when it was a g.p.night.

Peterborough have always been very well supported, 2000+ easily but very badly run hence they keep losing so much money which is a shame for their fantastic fan base.

Poole are probably just behind the panthers with Belle Vue at the bottom of the pile averaging about 300 or so.

The grandstand holds over 2000 and that's 3/4 full so If you add up all the fans around the track, your looking at a healthy crowd.

Edited by Liam Gallagher Fan

According to Rick Frost in an interview Peterboro's average last year was around 700 so I suppose he should know. Eastbourne's average was reported to be 770. Poole's lowest attendance of the year was reported to be 778.

A couple of years ago Lakesides lowest attendance was reported to be around 400 for a meeting on a cold wet Monday that was on TV anyway, and their best for the same year was reported to be something approaching 3000 for a local Derby with Eastbourne on a sunny Bank Holiday. There is a big fluctuation in attendances at a lot of clubs dependant mainly on the weather and time of year.

For the Panthers, we average at 1700 but on good days, We get up to 3500

I assume that maths isn't one of your better subjects at school?

• Like 2

Out of the four tracks i go to on a regular basis, i would say that the lakeside and kent crowds are pretty healthy, but rye house and eastbourne could do with a few more punters!

Poole do well when they are winning, but on a losing streak, their glory hunting fans stay away, and then Ford springs into action!

Poole do well when they are winning, but on a losing streak, their glory hunting fans stay away, and then Ford springs into action!

To be fair Steve, I think that ALL of our clubs suffer with that one!

Albeit, Poole are probably more hellbent upon winning, than seeing a good speedway meeting.

I think Swindon have a healthy average of well over 1000 but it is mainly die hards in their 60s like me and these are dwindling through death and disinterest!

• Like 1

Peterborough have always been very well supported, 2000+ easily but very badly run hence they keep losing so much money which is a shame for their fantastic fan base.

Poole are probably just behind the panthers with Belle Vue at the bottom of the pile averaging about 300 or so.

Is this one of your 'joke' posts, i.e. mocking KKS/Liam Gallagher fan?

Peterboro's crowds have been awful for some time.

Is this one of your 'joke' posts, i.e. mocking KKS/Liam Gallagher fan?

Peterboro's crowds have been awful for some time.

Haha. I know. And have belle vue bottom with 300 average. We get a lot more than that and Peterborough was one of worst.

Best I've seen is poole and worse probably Peterborough or eastbourne