British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Speedway, What Is It?

Ever since Speedway first started in USA in the 1880/90's and named after the stadiums where they were raced in they were put on by a promoter to make money. He then offered prize money for the riders as a reward for riding in them. Nothing has altered. Speedway is run for the riders and the promoters to make money. Most riders could not care less who they ride for as long as they are earnling money. Most riders when interviewed on a live TV match have not got a clue what the score is. Some riders in a season must have guested for nearly all the teams in a league.besides riding in other leagues as well .All the promoters want to do is put on a good meeting preferably with the home side just winning but essentially making a profit.

• Like 1

Speedway is something that has hurt me many times ,emptied my bank more than once ,ended more than one relationship, makes me rant at least once a week, sometimes leaves me deflated,often leaves me wondering why i bother but above all else its utterly fantastic and is well and truly part of what makes me. To me its sport entertainment and a way of life

• Like 9

Certainly fans these days don't see the riders on the pedastals as fans used to. I mean it's hard work at Lynn to get some fans!! to even give the boys a clap on the parade! Not that I think these people don't respect and admire the riders, I guess it's more a not being blase thing! Perhaps this is where the promoters need to step up to the plate and do something different, WWE style, perhaps get each team in circle and announce them just as a team, play their signature tune and get them all to rev their bikes, oh yeah can picture it now .... :-)

What's the point - the Riders don't even acknowledge you anyway. You might get the odd lifted hand with what seems like a big effort from one or two - but - by and large - nothing.

I would add that I always clap when the Riders come out on Parade - but - I am thinking of stopping because I seem to be wasting my time. All I would like to see would be a wave and a smile to the Crowd in general. These days it doesn't often happen.

• Like 1

Speedway is a business in the entertainment industry - first, last and foremost. Anyone who thinks differently is barking up the wrong tree!!

• Like 1

Speedway is sport and entertainment. I am passionate about my football team but I'm not bothered about watching football not involving my team but I will go out of my way to watch speedway at any level any time.

I know riders ride for more than one team but even at amateur level when the teams are made up on the day no rider wants to let down their team and give their all to win so I don't see that it devalues speedway as a sport.

Speedway is a business, that is slowly dying a painful death in this country. The standard of racing in the top flight or lack of it, is one reason why I haven't bothered going to any Poole meetings. Looking at alot of the teams, they dont excite me anymore. The flame is slowly dying inside me for a sport I used to love passionately.

• Like 2

Speedway is an addictive joke.

Agreed . An entertaining and exciting spectacle ruined by self serving administrators with a rule book that must be as thick as War and Peace with more loopholes than a bent barrister can ejaculate over .

Edited by Paulco

Id imagine the equipment outlay of a darts player to be somewhat less than a soeedway rider, with a much longer career possible and far less risk of severe injury

by that comment i assume you not bothered by floating riders?..

Speedway is a business, that is slowly dying a painful death in this country. The standard of racing in the top flight or lack of it, is one reason why I haven't bothered going to any Poole meetings. Looking at alot of the teams, they dont excite me anymore. The flame is slowly dying inside me for a sport I used to love passionately.

excellent post

What is it? A sport, a entertainment or both?

Primarily entertainment occasionally masquerading as a sport.

Most sports started out with public schoolboys rolling around in the mud, initially eschewing spectators until they realised they could start charging and make a living out of it (unless it was rugby union of course). Speedway was akin to circus entertainment from day one - charging spectators and paying its competitors.

Speedway isn't even a proper sport, You never see it labelled under motor sports.

It's always in sections like "other sports" and hidden in different sections.

Speedway isn't even a proper sport, You never see it labelled under motor sports.

It's always in sections like "other sports" and hidden in different sections.

That is because of the interest shown by the Sports Sections of any Newspaper you care to mention.

In my opinion - most of the Press in this Country are NOT interested in Speedway nowadays - so low has it sunk in Public esteem. That is reflected in the amount (or lack) of coverage they give - even for the Results.