British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Leicester V Belle Vue 3/5/14

We were just woeful. Well the reserves were anyway

Yes the reserves are the big difference this year. But ain't that the same as every other year????

Both top 5s scored 37. We got 40 with tax. So top 5 did jobs on both sides really but 13-3 at reserves is another shocker for us.

I was optimistic for the play offs but now now. We don't have the fire power at reserve. Even stefs struggling and can see him quitting the sport in the not to distant future after speaking to his mother tonight. He needs help financially big time. 3 blown engines and other stuff going on as left him with no money what so ever on a new engine. That's why he was in Tofts bike for 2 of his races.

Reade will be gone but any replacement you get will only be like for like so won't improve us that much

Good turn out of aces fans and barring the result a good night by all. It really is a lovely set up at Leicester so kudos to hemsley and Co. I even got interviewed on the mic. I'm not belle vue fans official spokesman. Hahaha

• Like 1

a patched up Leicester side was still to good for the Aces, so well done Leicester on 3 deserved points, As for the Aces, no excuses we must move on and do better next time.

Edited by hyderd

My first visit to Leicester last night. I have to say it's a nice little setup you have there but the track needs some drastic work to produce some decent racing. It's a good size and I was impressed with how smooth it was but for whatever reason the shape does not produce multiple racing lines. I would struggle to recall more than 2 races that had any genuine passing in them and I think I'm being generous at that. All the riders go mid-track, nothing by the fence or around the kerb.

Plus points: Nice facility, food and beer were good, no problems with traffic or car parking.

Bad Points: Largely processional racing and, after all, being entertained by good racing is the whole point of going!

Get your track man to fix the shape of the circuit and if he can't, then find someone who can!

• Like 3

Both Coventry and Wolves (Despite a below par performance by Wuffy) have taken points off the Lions at BP. So where does that leave the Aces ? Back in the basement of the league :sad:

• Like 1

When I said to the guy on the pit gate that Lions reserves would have a good meeting he looked confused by my statement. (He later acknowledged that I was spot on) The cheers for Max Clegg and the support from the rest of the Lions team was joy to see and hear and was the talk of the meeting.It was suggested that the draft system and the race format would mean more meetings would be decided by the reserves performance but how many times the Lions had been beatten at home by strong reserves in the last three seasons. I have to disagree with Craig Cook's comments about the guests being the difference as I believe our regular team would have scored more (maybe being 'roughed up' by Ben Barker impaired his judgement).

Excellent meeting and well done the Lions

Ridiculous comment by Cook, if that's what he said. Sounds like he should stick to what he does best

My first visit to Leicester last night. I have to say it's a nice little setup you have there but the track needs some drastic work to produce some decent racing. It's a good size and I was impressed with how smooth it was but for whatever reason the shape does not produce multiple racing lines. I would struggle to recall more than 2 races that had any genuine passing in them and I think I'm being generous at that. All the riders go mid-track, nothing by the fence or around the kerb.Plus points: Nice facility, food and beer were good, no problems with traffic or car parking.Bad Points: Largely processional racing and, after all, being entertained by good racing is the whole point of going!Get your track man to fix the shape of the circuit and if he can't, then find someone who can!

In terms of the racing I felt that was actually one of the better ones I've seen recently. Well done to Max and Tom and the other regular Lions. Thanks to our guests as well. Nice to see Baby still trying to charge from the back even if he was unsuccessful at times. Also thought it was a nice touch to interview a travelling fan.

In terms of the racing I felt that was actually one of the better ones I've seen recently. Well done to Max and Tom and the other regular Lions. Thanks to our guests as well. Nice to see Baby still trying to charge from the back even if he was unsuccessful at times. Also thought it was a nice touch to interview a travelling fan.

That was me. Nervous as hell. I'm a but of a bad potty mouth so was trying not to swear. Haha

Edited by Phil The Ace

Leicester are certainly catching a few sides out and are not the fodder side everyone thought they would be.

Teams that fail to get anything there could struggle to make the play offs however.

The draft is a disgrace, how can it be fair that Leicester have such good draft riders compared to ours? We would have easily won had it not been for the draft. We could have had Gormolski and Szespaniak at reserve and easily won this meeting.

Time for a rethink of the whole draft and especially how Leicester managed to secure such a massive advantage in this meeting.

Burp!

We have had some of the worst riding ever from our 2 reserves. Tom Perry has done better Than Max Clegg. But before this meeting he was doing so bad it looked this week that he was going to be on his way.

But he came up for the challange last night and came up with the goods.

Well done Max keep up the good work.

Great result for the lions last night

I think looking at both teams on paper before the meeting you would have said The Aces would have edged it but thanks to Tom and especially Max we got the result we needed.

Well done to you both let's hope it's just the start of great things.

In terms of the racing I felt that was actually one of the better ones I've seen recently.

If that was one the better ones then I'd fear for the future of Leicester over the medium term, last night's match was not a good advert for the sport. I hope they manage to improve the quality of racing soon.

Funnily enough as we were walking away from the stadium my wife overheard a Leicester fan say: "Some good racing tonight...", she turned to me and said: "He thought that was good?!!". So maybe it was one of the better ones.

• Like 2

Is there not something wrong when Elite League matches are generally decided by riders who are not actually any where near good enough to be Elite League riders ?....as a top rider it would find that frustrating and i can't get my head round it.

In days gone by a strong reserve could help win a match or matches but they were always good enough to be an Elite League rider and would then move out of the reserve berth...this season seems a bit of a farce to me just looking on..

• Like 2

The simple fact of the matter last night was that the best team on the night won. The Aces were slow to get going and we can't afford to keep giving teams starts, particularly away from home. We got away with it at Wolves, but Leicester remained elusively clear from us for most of the meeting thanks in no small part to their reserves, who outscored ours considerably. Plus you can't give a 5-1 away in both reserve races and expect to be winning the meeting!

Much to ponder for the Aces, but they mustn't press any panic buttons - a few minor tweaks to the line-up is all that is required.

I must admit that i am happy Leicester have found their feet in the Elite League and they have a great set-up which is a credit to them. A competitive Leicester side is an asset to the Elite League and they are very welcome.

• Like 2

My first trip to Leicester speedway last night, a nice purpose built stadium. Racing was a bit all over after the first corner though (except a couple of nice cut backs) but only one real race of note between Barker and Cookie the outcome of which cost BV a league point.

Good crowd too with a decent amount of BV fans making the trip. Seemed to be a really good feeling about the place, the Lions promotion are obviously putting their all into their club to make it a success. A welcome addition to the EL.

Hats off too, to the little lad in a Lions race jacket on the first turn who just ran around in large circles all night pretending to be a speedway rider which I'm sure I probably did when I was a kid : )

• Like 2

That was me. Nervous as hell. I'm a but of a bad potty mouth so was trying not to swear. Haha

Passed with flying colours Phil!...;-)

We have had some of the worst riding ever from our 2 reserves. Tom Perry has done better Than Max Clegg. But before this meeting he was doing so bad it looked this week that he was going to be on his way.

But he came up for the challange last night and came up with the goods.

Well done Max keep up the good work.

The some of the worse riding ever statement is somewhat harsh. Huge step up for these lads in terms of their riding and their equipment. Positive signs last night. Let's hope with support and encouragement they continue to make progress. Surely it's the system at fault, not the efforts of the riders?

If that was one the better ones then I'd fear for the future of Leicester over the medium term, last night's match was not a good advert for the sport. I hope they manage to improve the quality of racing soon.Funnily enough as we were walking away from the stadium my wife overheard a Leicester fan say: "Some good racing tonight...", she turned to me and said: "He thought that was good?!!". So maybe it was one of the better ones.

Best to try and be positive on here. It's not good practice to be critical of the racing.....;-)