British Speedway Forum
sussex bulldog

Eagles V Wolves 03/05/2014 7.30 Pm

The first and second bends were re-shaped a few years ago when Jason Crump was still riding and he set the new track record which was equalled by Chris Holder but not beaten.

Many top riders have commented on how good the track is to race on. JK said it was superb last night.

I don't agree that races were won from the gate but were mostly decided by coming out of the second bend or just after.

In my experience, what riders like to race on and what produces good racing are very frequently two entirely different things - I have heard some say how much they like Leicester, for example. I doubt if the huge blue line on turn three (and I suspect there was one on turn one) bothered the riders but it killed stone dead the possibility of an entertaining meeting.

One of British Speedways most serious problems is that tracks are often prepared for riders (who are paid employees) rather than spectators (who are paying customers).

In what other business would paid employees needs come before those of paying customers ?

I wouldn't disagree with your second bend comment at all but I think that is from the gate. True, there is skill on those two bends but to me racing starts on bend 3, lap 1.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

The first and second bends were re-shaped a few years ago when Jason Crump was still riding and he set the new track record which was equalled by Chris Holder but not beaten.

Many top riders have commented on how good the track is to race on. JK said it was superb last night.

I don't agree that races were won from the gate but were mostly decided by coming out of the second bend or just after.

Cant agree David, most were decided before bend 2 and to be honest in my opinion it was boring meeting, Tractor out after most heats, not all admittedly. Wolves although not at full strength were poor.Hopefully next Arlington meeting will be better

On last nights showing Wolves would be better off dropping a division.

Thank god we have the results against Lakeside and Kings Lynn to confirm we are where we belong.

• Like 1

Being an Eastbourne fan I really do get a bit fed up with how often the trcak gets slagged of but even I have to admit that last night was terrible for racing. Only tomo managed a pass during a race, it was terrible boring racing/

On the Wolves side, I have to say I was impressed with Jacob. He seemed on the pace and giving it his all in most races.

• Like 1

Right come on all you speedway experts.

What exactly is Bob doing with that tractor that ruins the track?

It seemed fine to me.

Had walk on it before the meeting.

Speaking to an ex rider recently, he reckons with a slick track and dirt on the outside ( as it was last night ) you get more competitive racing because the rider trusts the track more.

Right come on all you speedway experts.

What exactly is Bob doing with that tractor that ruins the track?

It seemed fine to me.

Had walk on it before the meeting.

Speaking to an ex rider recently, he reckons with a slick track and dirt on the outside ( as it was last night ) you get more competitive racing because the rider trusts the track more.

Think you only have to look at the post above your original one to see it didn't have the desired effect.

Edited by stevebrum

Think you only have to look at the post above your original one to see it didn't have the desired effect.

Yes, I was there. i witnessed it. But I dont think it was to do with the track preparation or grading.

More like home track advantage and a poor showing from Wolves IMVHO.

Ask Lewis Blackbird ;-)

:t:

Back in 05 06 eastbourne was one of best race tracks really enjoyed going now I pick and choose my meetings hoping theres some good racing, miss seeing all the big guys in the elite. Its got worse since the silencers changed too miss seeing nicki p head for the dirt bend 1/2. Only bridger makes the dirt work nowadays I think (first rider that comes to mind)

• Like 1

Yes, I was there. i witnessed it. But I dont think it was to do with the track preparation or grading.

Ask Lewis Blackbird ;-)

I'd say that the blue line on the third turn that appeared after about heat 9 implies that it was.

I didn't attend but the track was good for the belle vue match. Also when it's warm and sunny like Saturday it can get very nippy out in the woods there and that can affect the track . Wolves being pretty poor Saturday didn't help the meeting mind you. Tho the is a tractor maniac old bob still produces a pretty good track most weeks

I'd say that the blue line on the third turn that appeared after about heat 9 implies that it was.

I stood with a couple of Wolves supporters at bend 4 ( a long 4 hours home for them !). We didnt see the blue line.

inside/outside? Are you suggesting Bob had taken the dirt off the track?

Interestingly Wolves won 3 of the 7 heats from heat 9.

As I said earlier, Woofy looked great and no home rider could get near him, which suggests a slick, trustworthy line had developed.

I stood with a couple of Wolves supporters at bend 4 ( a long 4 hours home for them !). We didnt see the blue line.

inside/outside? Are you suggesting Bob had taken the dirt off the track?

Interestingly Wolves won 3 of the 7 heats from heat 9.

As I said earlier, Woofy looked great and no home rider could get near him, which suggests a slick, trustworthy line had developed.

At the risk of being insulting, you must be one of those who are blind because they do not wish to see. It was there, no question - I was standing on the third bend.

I am actually not sure what Bob Dugard does although whatever it is it seems to me that it has no beneficial effect on the surface. What I do know is in all my travels I have never seen anyone grade the track 3 times after the first 4 heats (unless it is a total mess to begin with).

No-one could get near him - or anyone else who gated - because you couldn't pass, and a slick line had developed - it was the blue one. The track was awful which, as I say, is a shame. Eastbourne used to a very good racers track and I don't see why it can't be again.

• Like 1

"Blind because they do not wish to see?"

What is the advantage of that ? I just took my son and friends along to watch speedway.

Like a few on here, you seem to want to take a debate to an argument within one reply. Funnily enough, one of the best things about our sport is chatting with supporters.

You care. I get that. So why not simply tell me what the grading does? I would genuinely like to know . I thought it levelled the track and takes dirt to wherever the driver wishes to place it

"Blind because they do not wish to see?"

What is the advantage of that ? I just took my son and friends along to watch speedway.

Like a few on here, you seem to want to take a debate to an argument within one reply. Funnily enough, one of the best things about our sport is chatting with supporters.

You care. I get that. So why not simply tell me what the grading does? I would genuinely like to know . I thought it levelled the track and takes dirt to wherever the driver wishes to place it

'There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see'. The advantage of that is that if there is a problem you simply do not recognise its existence (and hence refuse to do anything about it) however obvious it might be to everyone else. In my experience, its something that happens all too regularly in speedway.

I have no issue with engaging with other fans but my point here is that you seem to believe that there was nothing wrong with the track on Saturday. There most certainly was and I think that is reflected not just in my view but those of others.

I think your understanding of grading is right - the intention is to restore the track to a fair, consistent and smooth surface. The thing is I am not sure that is what Bob Dugard actually achieves and you will find that his use of the tractor has attracted considerable comment on the pages of this forum in the past.