British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Coventry V Lakeside 5th May

I don't know the total yet but I think you will find there were a lot of gullible fans (as you put it) quite willing to contribute to help Ryan and let's not forget this idea was nothing to do with him so not like Chris Harris's plea for help with his G.P. fund. so I was happy to donate.

Was wondering how Davey got injured as from the stands it just looked like he didnt gate & then cos far behind pulled over, didnt realise he was injured until announced.

What exactly was wrong with Watt because I thought the same as you and don't know how he got injured.

• Like 3

COVENTRY moved to within one point of the Elite League’s play-off places with a hard-fought 49-41 win over leaders Lakeside at Brandon on Monday.
Hans Andersen and Chris Harris secured a last-heat 5-1 for the Buildbase Bees as the winning run of the Hammers’ inspired Danish youngster Mikkel Bech came to an end.
It left the visitors with nothing to show for the meeting despite having gone into that final race with the chance of salvaging a draw from a topsy-turvy contest.
Bees gave a solid all-round display with their reserves, Jason Garrity and James Sarjeant, taking 5-1s in both of their races against their Lakeside counterparts.
The top five all had up and down moments, although that was partly due to the fact that gate four appeared a significant handicap – with only Sarjeant, who conjured a remarkable start in Heat 9, really making the outside work.
The sides traded 5-1s in the opening races before Lakeside regained the advantage in Heat 3 when Bech switched back and passed Ryan Fisher off turn two on the final lap for his first of four race wins.
The visitors opened their lead to four points but Bees wiped that out with a 5-1 in Heat 5 thanks to Andersen and Harris, who had both run last places off gate four in their opening rides.
The nip-and-tuck nature of the meeting continued with Peter Karlsson’s pass on Kenneth Hansen for third place in Heat 6 putting the Hammers back in front, only for Bees to edge back ahead with successive 4-2s of their own as Fisher resisted Richard Lawson in Heat 8 whilst Hansen this time kept Karlsson at bay.
By this time, the Hammers had lost skipper Davey Watt to a hand injury although Karlsson and Lawson were able to take his remaining rides under the injury rider replacement facility.
A big 5-1 from the Bees reserves was immediately cancelled out in Heat 10 when Andersen was squeezed out by Bech and Lawson going into the first bend, but Harris came up with an excellent start to get the better of Karlsson in the next race whilst Fisher worked hard on the inside to eventually force the error from Lewis Bridger and take third spot.
Garrity and Kyle Howarth then pulled off a terrific 5-1 in Heat 12, keeping the previously impressive Lawson at bay, and that put Coventry eight ahead and seemingly in full control.
The match looked set to be decided in Heat 13 especially with Karlsson pulling out with bike trouble, but Bech had other ideas and passed Harris before brilliantly swooping around Andersen for the lead after two laps of battling.
Clearly fired up by that ride, the Hammers hit back with a 5-1 in Heat 14 from Bridger and Adam Ellis with Hansen marooned off gate four and arguably one lap short of being able to make a passing move.
With the visitors needing a 5-1 from Heat 15 to draw the match, and needing to avoid conceding a 5-1 to take a point, they made the attacking move of deploying Bech from the unwanted gate four, clearly hoping that team-mate Lawson would make the start and that the Dane would work his way through.
However, those plans were wrecked when Andersen and Harris hit the front for the Bees, and with track conditions constantly changing with rain intensifying, Bech slid off on the second lap as he attempted to make up ground – effectively handing Bees a 5-1 and maximum league points, although Lawson did gain ground late on to put pressure on Harris.
Manager Gary Havelock said: “It was a real team effort, the meeting really ebbed and flowed, but when you look through our team it was solid all the way through.
“Some guys had some bad rides but they got their heads down and the vital thing at the end was that when the chips were down, Hans and Chris produced the goods.
“I’m really pleased with the team. We’ve shown this season at places like Poole and Lakeside that there’s plenty of fight there, and we showed it again here when it really mattered.”

BUILDBASE BEES 49: Chris Harris 8+3, Hans Andersen 8, Kyle Howarth 8, Ryan Fisher 8, Jason Garrity 7+2, James Sarjeant 6+1, Kenneth Hansen 4.
LAKESIDE 41: Mikkel Bech 12, Richard Lawson 11+2, Peter Karlsson 6, Lewis Bridger 6, Adam Ellis 4+1, Davey Watt 1, Liam Carr 1.

Davey was hit by a piece of stock car :o

How come nobody seen it on track, especially when all riders have a ride round the track pre meeting?

• Like 2

so not like Chris Harris's plea for help with his G.P. fund.

A GP fund that has, from what I can see, only bought him the wisdom of an ex-Premier League second string to teach him how to gate. With the result so far that Harris has scored as many points over two rounds, as a Premier League second string scored in one.

Bech sounds like the real deal. Hopefully the GP organisers will finally give up on some of their favourites and offer him a place next season, IF he doesn't qualify.

JT.

Edited by JT

Not a bad meeting overall, took a while to get going but turned out to be a good, close meeting with some decent racing. Thought the track prep looked a bit odd though, soaked on the home straight and first turn and bone dry and dusty on the back straight and third bend. Bech was excellent value for the Hammers, not bad considering he slated Brandon as I recall after the World U21 Final round there in 2012! Have to say Lakeside really deserved at least a point from tonight, had me very worried for the whole meeting. Thought it was a strange call not to put Garrity in Heat 14, I'd have put him in for Sarjeant as is often the case now, would have been harsh on Sarj who more than did his job and looked very comfortable tonight, but with a reserve as strong as Garrity you have to be a bit ruthless and use them as much as possible. Not an issue in the end though after Hans and Bomber did the business in Heat 15. Tried not to judge Bomber on his Heat 3 ride, he always struggles in his first race, as long as he's there to get the job done in Heats 13 and 15, I'm happy!

Ryan will make his own thanks in time but I just want to say thank you to all the Coventry and Lakeside fans that donated to his collection tonight.

It was probably the easiest £700+ I have ever collected!

If it were a case of Ryan simply having to pay for his family to get to Europe then some may say "Do it yourself".
But the Fisher family have already paid out £1000's to apply for visa's that they were never going to get as they never had the full information. They paid for flights after Christmas that never got his family into the Country! -None of this will they get back.
So, he has lost a great deal of money leading up to today and that is very hard to recoup.

The fans spoke very clearly today about supporting The Fishers and the lovely comments made were simply beautiful.
The choice was yours donate or don't donate. And I'm very pleased to say - so many of you did.

Thank you xxx

• Like 5

COVENTRY moved to within one point of the Elite League’s play-off places with a hard-fought 49-41 win over leaders Lakeside at Brandon on Monday.

Hans Andersen and Chris Harris secured a last-heat 5-1 for the Buildbase Bees as the winning run of the Hammers’ inspired Danish youngster Mikkel Bech came to an end.

It left the visitors with nothing to show for the meeting despite having gone into that final race with the chance of salvaging a draw from a topsy-turvy contest.

Bees gave a solid all-round display with their reserves, Jason Garrity and James Sarjeant, taking 5-1s in both of their races against their Lakeside counterparts.

The top five all had up and down moments, although that was partly due to the fact that gate four appeared a significant handicap – with only Sarjeant, who conjured a remarkable start in Heat 9, really making the outside work.

The sides traded 5-1s in the opening races before Lakeside regained the advantage in Heat 3 when Bech switched back and passed Ryan Fisher off turn two on the final lap for his first of four race wins.

The visitors opened their lead to four points but Bees wiped that out with a 5-1 in Heat 5 thanks to Andersen and Harris, who had both run last places off gate four in their opening rides.

The nip-and-tuck nature of the meeting continued with Peter Karlsson’s pass on Kenneth Hansen for third place in Heat 6 putting the Hammers back in front, only for Bees to edge back ahead with successive 4-2s of their own as Fisher resisted Richard Lawson in Heat 8 whilst Hansen this time kept Karlsson at bay.

By this time, the Hammers had lost skipper Davey Watt to a hand injury although Karlsson and Lawson were able to take his remaining rides under the injury rider replacement facility.

A big 5-1 from the Bees reserves was immediately cancelled out in Heat 10 when Andersen was squeezed out by Bech and Lawson going into the first bend, but Harris came up with an excellent start to get the better of Karlsson in the next race whilst Fisher worked hard on the inside to eventually force the error from Lewis Bridger and take third spot.

Garrity and Kyle Howarth then pulled off a terrific 5-1 in Heat 12, keeping the previously impressive Lawson at bay, and that put Coventry eight ahead and seemingly in full control.

The match looked set to be decided in Heat 13 especially with Karlsson pulling out with bike trouble, but Bech had other ideas and passed Harris before brilliantly swooping around Andersen for the lead after two laps of battling.

Clearly fired up by that ride, the Hammers hit back with a 5-1 in Heat 14 from Bridger and Adam Ellis with Hansen marooned off gate four and arguably one lap short of being able to make a passing move.

With the visitors needing a 5-1 from Heat 15 to draw the match, and needing to avoid conceding a 5-1 to take a point, they made the attacking move of deploying Bech from the unwanted gate four, clearly hoping that team-mate Lawson would make the start and that the Dane would work his way through.

However, those plans were wrecked when Andersen and Harris hit the front for the Bees, and with track conditions constantly changing with rain intensifying, Bech slid off on the second lap as he attempted to make up ground – effectively handing Bees a 5-1 and maximum league points, although Lawson did gain ground late on to put pressure on Harris.

Manager Gary Havelock said: “It was a real team effort, the meeting really ebbed and flowed, but when you look through our team it was solid all the way through.

“Some guys had some bad rides but they got their heads down and the vital thing at the end was that when the chips were down, Hans and Chris produced the goods.

“I’m really pleased with the team. We’ve shown this season at places like Poole and Lakeside that there’s plenty of fight there, and we showed it again here when it really mattered.”

BUILDBASE BEES 49: Chris Harris 8+3, Hans Andersen 8, Kyle Howarth 8, Ryan Fisher 8, Jason Garrity 7+2, James Sarjeant 6+1, Kenneth Hansen 4.

LAKESIDE 41: Mikkel Bech 12, Richard Lawson 11+2, Peter Karlsson 6, Lewis Bridger 6, Adam Ellis 4+1, Davey Watt 1, Liam Carr 1.

Great report, but if all Lakeside needs to gain at least a point is avoid a 5-1 in Heat 15, then surely they should have put Bech on the more favourable gate 2. Looks like a gamble to get two points has left them with a big fat zero. BV did the same at Eastbourne with heat 15 gate positions which backfired on us too.

• Like 2

Not a bad meeting overall, took a while to get going but turned out to be a good, close meeting with some decent racing. Thought the track prep looked a bit odd though, soaked on the home straight and first turn and bone dry and dusty on the back straight and third bend. Bech was excellent value for the Hammers, not bad considering he slated Brandon as I recall after the World U21 Final round there in 2012! Have to say Lakeside really deserved at least a point from tonight, had me very worried for the whole meeting. Thought it was a strange call not to put Garrity in Heat 14, I'd have put him in for Sarjeant as is often the case now, would have been harsh on Sarj who more than did his job and looked very comfortable tonight, but with a reserve as strong as Garrity you have to be a bit ruthless and use them as much as possible. Not an issue in the end though after Hans and Bomber did the business in Heat 15. Tried not to judge Bomber on his Heat 3 ride, he always struggles in his first race, as long as he's there to get the job done in Heats 13 and 15, I'm happy!

Think Garriry should have replaced Hansen who had struggled tonight although not from lack of effort. Luckily it didnt matter in the end

• Like 1

Pperhaps the track had been prepared slick because of the rain threat?

Just saying............

Sorry, the reply was not meant to be attached to your comment, struggling on android blooming phone!! It was in reference to an Adam Vickers remark about the track being slick... and perhaps it had been prepared that way with the rain threat....

• Like 1

I'm not commenting on the Davey Watt replacement last night but I do think that under the new format that there is a fair opportunity that certain team Managers/Promoters may use the new rules to their own advantage. Rider has a bad night pull off with an injury, no Doctor is going to refuse to say that the rider has an injury especially without X Rays etc. This opens the door to call on riders who are having a good night to take the rides of the "injured" rider. The one I haven't worked out is if one of the National League reserves gets injured and is unable to continue what happens in heat 9, is it one rider or do the second strings take the place of the injured National a League rider. Just a thought I am in no doubt that there are people better read than me to answer the question.

Perhaps I am referring to the Davey Watt replacement!.

Thought Hansen was unlucky tonight, shouldn't have been replaced by Garrity, just got caught out when wide on the 4th bend a couple of times, when trying hard - unlucky. Hansen was off gate 4 in Ht14, which was awful for everyone, only Mikkel won from that gate, and he was last out of turn 2 then! Coventry should've replaced Sarjeant with Garrity in Ht14 tho

I was expecting Mikkel off gate 2 in Ht15, but I suppose Neil thought he would at least get a second, which I expect he would if the rain hadn't made the track so slippy on the outside.

Well done Bomber, seemed well chuffed after winning Ht11, top scored as well - hope this can kick-start his season

I'm not commenting on the Davey Watt replacement last night but I do think that under the new format that there is a fair opportunity that certain team Managers/Promoters may use the new rules to their own advantage. Rider has a bad night pull off with an injury, no Doctor is going to refuse to say that the rider has an injury especially without X Rays etc. This opens the door to call on riders who are having a good night to take the rides of the "injured" rider. The one I haven't worked out is if one of the National League reserves gets injured and is unable to continue what happens in heat 9, is it one rider or do the second strings take the place of the injured National a League rider. Just a thought I am in no doubt that there are people better read than me to answer the question.

Perhaps I am referring to the Davey Watt replacement!.

Riders don't get paid if they withdraw.

• Like 1

So you saying a team manager wont do the following.......

Hey, Bally, you've had an off night so far, Fein an injury and withdraw, we'll use Super Mac and Gold Win in your last 2,races, don't worry, we'll see you right!!!?

You're not in the real world if you don't think it'll happen!!!

• Like 3

Davey was struggling anyway last night, with a 3rd in first ride and then miles behind in 2nd so a rider who isnt scoring in meeting wouldn't have been paid much anyway