British Speedway Forum
hulvik

The Lighter Side Of Speedway

I remember my one and only visit to the Hayley Stadium for the Prince of Wales Trophy the day after the 2003 British Grand Prix, it was about halfway through the meeting, and during the interval, the tractor was out grading the track, upon it's last lap of grading, the driver turned right as he wasn't looking where he was going, straight through the safety fence.

• Like 1

on reopening Workington Ian Thomas found the pipe across the drain allowing access to the ground was still there so it got "painted" with oil, grease and anything else Ian could find to put off anybody trying it

I have never seen the St Johns staff leap out of their chairs and move so fast.

back in the Boulevard days it was a regular sight to see riders been put in the back of the ambulance with their legs bandaged together and arms hanging over the strecher only to return the following week with arms in pot and nothing wrong with their legs.

Bruce Penhall and Bobby Schwartz arriving at The Shay in a beautiful Rolls Royce and parking it on the first turn banking. It was an absolute mess and plastered with dirt by the end of the meeting.

No idea who the owner was but I'm sure they would have had a shock!

My mate " Wee George " getting told he wasn't getting let on the National Express coach coming back from Birmingham in 2009 cause he was pissed . And convincing a , yet again , pissed Wee George that he was hallucinating when the Somerset chicken mascot hugged him . He poured his scrumpy out in the flower beds :P

Is that the same or different time as Wee George tackling the Somerset chicken? The mascot bloke, all seven foot of him, won't go around to the third and fourth bend during the Pairs any more - poor bloke is scared of Wee George :P

All the best

Rob

Bruce Penhall and Bobby Schwartz arriving at The Shay in a beautiful Rolls Royce and parking it on the first turn banking. It was an absolute mess and plastered with dirt by the end of the meeting.

No idea who the owner was but I'm sure they would have had a shock!

Yes...it was absolutely lethal stood on the bends at the Shay !....do it for one race...never again !

• Like 1

Is that the same or different time as Wee George tackling the Somerset chicken? The mascot bloke, all seven foot of him, won't go around to the third and fourth bend during the Pairs any more - poor bloke is scared of Wee George :P

All the best

Rob

Wasn't the Pairs , was a league match . But seems Wee George and the Somerset Chicken are well acquainted :rofl:

• Like 1

During a sidecar meeting at Swindon two of the bikes collided with each other and the one on the inside rebounded across the centre green. The flag marshals ran in all directions and I have never seen the St Johns staff leap out of their chairs and move so fast.

Phil Morris testimonial. They had speedway riders as passengers n the sidecars. Ben Howe and Petri Kokko clashed coming out of the 4th bend and headed for the inner start gate post, the meeting prizes, the start marshal and the kid who had just won a competition to watch a few heats from the centre green! The HiFi and mountian bike were left damaged!

Scott Smith (the Aussie version) crashing into the tractor at Newport and the ambulance at Stoke within weeks of each other were quite funny. And Scott Smith (the British version) managing to wipe out the other 3 riders in a race in separate incidents, within 10 seconds, 2 of them after the red lights come on!

There is also the famous night at Coatbridge . Scotland v Norway international meeting and the pipe band is doing it's stuff walking round the track before the meeting . Gets near tapes up time and the referee puts the riders for heat 1 on 2 minutes , and out they come . Unfortunately the pipe band is still on the track , kilts and bagpipes scatter in all direction :lol:

• Like 1

Many years ago I was on holiday down south and managed to persuade the other half to visit Poole - which was a miracle. Probably bribed her with a visit to an old castle the next day!

Anyway, I can't remember who the visitors were but I do remember one of the home team (Craig Boyce I think) doing a practice start and not noticing that the tractor had just gone by him, he ended up on top of the attachment that the tractor was pulling round. Very funny at the time especially watching him trying to extricate himself!

Paul Evitts crashing at Oxford... during the parade.

He smashed into some of the other bikes, and was out a couple of weeks injured.

Plus Peter York showing Marvyn Cox his damaged bike, with a mic on hand to capture Cocker's rather colourful response.

All the best

Rob

Wasn't the Pairs , was a league match . But seems Wee George and the Somerset Chicken are well acquainted :rofl:

"Tiny" (the chap inside the chicken) gave me a warning about Wee George last year. I'd told him I'd be fine. George gave me a big cuddle not long aftewards - I'm glad he never does that when I'm out of the suit :D

Are you coming to Sunny Scunny tomorrow mate?

All the best

Rob

Whilst coming out of Foxhall, Savalas Clouting (then Ipswich rider) joined a queue of traffic to exit the stadium, Thing is, he waited a while as he has got behind a parked car! :icon_smile_clown:

Many years ago at Cradley the saddle of one of Cradleys bikes came adrift on the last bend causing severe pain in the crotch for the rider. The announcer immediately played the Jerry Lee Lewis version of Great Balls Of Fire!

Edited by Fanmale

I can remember reading in Speedway Star as a child that a rider had been taken to hospital with a lacerated scrotum....I remember asking my mum what was a lacerated scrotum........I think I am still wincing at the answer even now !

Cannot remember who he rider was......but I remember the injury very well ! !

I can remember reading in Speedway Star as a child that a rider had been taken to hospital with a lacerated scrotum....I remember asking my mum what was a lacerated scrotum........I think I am still wincing at the answer even now !

Cannot remember who he rider was......but I remember the injury very well ! !

Robert Maxfield I believe

One of the owners or managers of the Swindon track was extremely proud of the flower bed planted and looked after every year a few feet on the inside of the start gate.

He was horrified when a rider, I think it was Malc mad wellie Holloway, veered off the track on the home straight and with his bike going at full pelt went straight through the bed destroying all the hard work that had been done.

I never did find out if it was deliberate or not, but most of the riders had been complaining about where the bed had been positioned.

Edited by A ORLOV