British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Football's Moneymen

Just thinking about the way ahead for speedway and was just thinking that if there was any way of getting the big football clubs involved and in which area's to do it.

New Tracks And Stadiums:-

CHELSEA, ARSENAL, SPURS, FULHAM (London Hammers)

MANCHESTER UNITED, MANCHESTER CITY (Manchester Aces)

NEWCASTLE UNITED, SUNDERLAND. M'BORO (North-East Beasts)

LIVERPOOL, EVERTON (Merseyside Mayhem)

CELTIC, RANGERS (Glasgow Tigers)

HEARTS, HIBS (Edinborogh Monachs)

IPSWICH, NORWICH (East-Anglian Stars)

BIRMINGHAM CITY, ASTON VILLA, WEST BROM (Birmingham Bandits)

SOUTHAMPTON, PORTSMOUTH (South Coast ?????)

A small piece of clubs money would go a long way in speedway and i think it would create a hole new fan base.

Speedway was massive in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Sleeping giant that just needs a good kick up the back-side springs to my mind.

Reading FC promote reading speedway on match days like last year phil morris and jonas davidson went round at half time to try and pick up some support for monday nights down at smallmead

Guest maddriver

Seem to remember Oxford trying this in the 80's,remember seeing a pic of Nielsen doing wheelies round the pitch.

Unfortunately for Speedways finances , the vast majority of football fans/sponsors

see our sport as boring , inbred , archaic , or just plain gay . What do they know . Football is not the 'way ahead' .

For me , a Speedway race as a spectacle is nigh on perfect , the racing itself cannot be improved on ( unless every heat was heat 15 , 4 top riders in every race ) . What i think needs improving , is the meeting itself .

Pants music , pants build up , pants interval detracting from the Speedway , is just , plain pants .

Any suggestions for for spicing up the meetings , getting new fans involved ?

yes but it isn't cheap - large screens showing footage - unfotunately screens keep people occupied - but it is also a subtle way of reminding fans/new faces of the need to keep coming back - close races, cock ups and yes I suppose the odd crash

PA systems on the whole though are pretty crummy

general presentation leaves a lot to be desired from the car park to the bar to the stands/standing area etc etc - we have all become accustomed to it and probably don't feel the need for such frills but on a sociological level (hmmm getting deep now!) the majority of the UK has become middle class with all the airs and graces that come along with it - it could in fact be put down as something that coincided with speedway's attendance decline.

I should imagine half the battle is first impressions - speedway has to try to become middle class

:D:D

sorry I can't help laughing at that last line now i've typed it but I wonder how near the truth it could be

Edited by Splatty

Guest i love me

I do not think that it will ever become as big as football i have never had football down as one of the sports that appeal to me but it does to many. there is no reason speedway shouldnt become as big but it just wont happen.

yes but we can try and make it bigger, not sayin it would ever be bigger than football which it obviously wont...but its always god to attrach new fans to the sport

we have had the odd occasional tie up with both football teams in the city. The chairman of Sheffield Wednesday also own Owlerton Stadium where we ride.

Guest clivehitch

Tatums left nut!!..streakers would liven up a meeting !.There were 3 at the PL fours at Worky..all blokes though..damn!!

Quite a few footballers do follow speedway,Stuart Pearce that Psycho geezer, had a couple of laps on the back of Crumpies' bike at Belle Vue last week.

It would be good if speedway could be publicised at football grounds more;at Newcastle on Sunday you can watch the ice hockey afterwards for a quid;just imagine the response if they did that at the football ground ,over 50000 spectators trying to get into Brough Park which holds around 3000 and only attracts around 500 for speedway!!