Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Benefit Of Bet365

Unless Simon Gustafsson is in the race.

I never said who was in front :wink:

• Like 2

I am really glad I am not a national league no hoper, how disrespectful to young British Riders coming into the sport, don't you think that statement about them is not only grossly unfair, it's sheer nastiness..

It's a statement of fact for some though. Harsh? Yes. Reality? Yes.

That doesn't mean all NL rider are no hopers.

Hows about Newman, Garrity, Keer, Rose, Worrall, to name but a few more Gater. Just for balance you understand.

The draft was never going to be something that worked instantly, it's a long-term project that will get better year-on-year, and produce better riders as well, but the demand for instant success, particularly in sport these days, means that people expect results as soon as it's implemented. That rarely happens in any walk of life, let alone something which is designed on the long-term development of young riders.

However it's not going to transform the fortunes of the sport on it's own, it's one of many things that need to be done, not all our hopes can be pinned on this and there's a lot more work to do.

As for Bet365, I haven't watched any of the streams yet and I would never pick watching a stream over going to the meeting, but I can see why others do. Hard to judge without seeing the financial impact but overall I think it's probably not going to do the clubs a lot of good, one meeting a week on Sky can be useful marketing but when you get 5/6 meetings a week streamed online for free, it's probably too much.

Edited by CUFC_Brummie
  • Like 1

I suggest a ban on all media, but it could never be controlled. On Wednesday up in the Royal Box, there was someone near me, twitting after every heat. god knows who was receiving that. No doubt they were well pleased to be kept up to date so easily. But it was someone who was interested in the score but decided against going to the meeting.

I thought dinosaurs were extinct!

• Like 2

Bet365 are not doing the streaming. AtTheRaces are doing the streaming and at the moment Bet365 are the only bookies buying the stream from them. AtTheRaces is owned by Sky. It is part of the new Sky deal done this year.

• Like 1

It does not benefit at all. I would watch the stream instead of going to the Abbey to watch Swindon because £17 plus £3 for programme and £1 for parking is a bit expensive for 15 well strung out races with a NL Heat run twice in the meeting.

i really like the comment about N.L. heat run twice (the elitional league as i call it)thats why i dont go any more...just pick a few g.ps and go to them now

Of course the stream is good. Would NEVER keep me away from live speedway, can't believe it does others, my thinking is they wouldn't have gone anyway!

• Like 2

bet365, another very valid reason why people are not attending speedway now in the same numbers as they did last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, or the year before etc etc etc ad infinitum....

nothing more rewarding than spending the best part of two hours each evening rocking along to k-tels 'hits of the seventies' whilst watching a starting marshal on a tiny screen stood waiting around whilst four speedway riders (and a ref) take an interminable length of time to start racing....

add that to the list of other (also very valid by the way) reasons that affect attendance levels to be discussed at the next bspa get together...

those other (seriously very valid) reasons being..

the football world cup,

the boat race

the grand national

wimbledon tennis

the test matches

the golf

the darts

the global warming (obviously)

the rise of ukip

the worries about the political situation in syria, oh, and a brand new one..

the public grief at the abdication of king juan carlos in spain

all very relevant and up against all that, it's not surprising that even such a well ran, professionally organised and administered sport like speedway will find it hard to compete...

Got to confess to watching on Bet365 rather than going out to some live matches. I know lots of others doing the same.

So there's no commentary. So what? Better no commentary than the clown on Eurosport or Itchy and Scratchy on SkySports. You don't get commentary in the stadiums either (and when you do, it's off idiots like Peter York at Coventry, which is most undesirable)

Got to confess to watching on Bet365 rather than going out to some live matches. I know lots of others doing the same.

So there's no commentary. So what? Better no commentary than the clown on Eurosport or Itchy and Scratchy on SkySports. You don't get commentary in the stadiums either (and when you do, it's off idiots like Peter York at Coventry, which is most undesirable)

Would you really have gone to these meetings?

Bet365 are not doing the streaming. AtTheRaces are doing the streaming and at the moment Bet365 are the only bookies buying the stream from them. AtTheRaces is owned by Sky. It is part of the new Sky deal done this year.

Correct ... but where a big problem appears to have occurred is that when the BSPA or GoSpeed agreed to include AtTheRaces streaming in the new Sky deal, the speedway folk got the impression that anyone would have to place a bet on a particular race (or at least place a bet on the result of the whole meeting) before they were able to access that betting company's live streaming which that company was receiving from ATR.

In that way, the more people that connected to the stream, the more money would be getting bet on the action and, therefore (unless the bookies got their odds horribly wrong), the more profitable it would be to stream the action.

I don't know whether BSPA/GoSpeed get a one-off fee from ATR-streaming within this part of the new Sky deal or whether there's a sliding scale of the fee depending on the volume of betting ... equally, I don't know whether the speedway folk misunderstood ATR's explanation of how it would work, or whether ATR just explained it rather vaguely.

But what is clear is that once ATR's streaming department had access to speedway meetings, they offered this feed to their well-established bookmaking customers with seemingly no restrictions (like "bet-before-you-watch") on how the bookies used this feed once they'd ordered it.

Thus, since this season started, bet365 have been streaming ATR's speedway feed in the same way they stream countless foreign football matches, tennis matches and all sorts of other sports at all sorts of times of the day while operating a policy that as long as you've stuck £5 in an account with them, you've access to all the streams regardless of whether you place a bet with them or not.

The logic of such a policy at bet365's end in that by letting their customers see things like weather conditions before requiring them to have a bet, it builds up their customers' confidence that they're making a really good selection when they place their bets ... also, while you're enjoying watching something they're streaming, you're also only a click away from having a bet on other events as well as the one you've intended to watch in the first place.

All perfectly understandable from bet365's end and, also for example, no problem either for a tennis promoter in Austria who wasn't expecting any spectators from Leeds through his turnstiles so can regard even a tiny slice of profits from their bets as a complete bonus.

But while it's still perfectly understandable from bet365's end on a speedway night, the trackside promoter now needs any tiny slices of betting profits (or any flat fee for streaming the meeting) to overtake the missing turnstile money from anyone who's elected (most likely on a damp night) to settle for the "really cheap while accepting it's not as good as being there" alternative of watching via bet365.

Providing enough speedway fans (both in this country and abroad) are actually betting on the action rather than regarding it as a free way of watching something they used to pay at a turnstile to watch, then the British speedway promoter joins the Austrian tennis promoter in giving the whole deal the thumbs-up.

But when it came to weighing up the pros-&-cons of any streaming deal a few months ago, any estimations within British speedway about the amount of "missing turnstile money" while under the impression of "bet-before-you-watch" may well be uncomfortably different from what's proving to be the amount of "missing turnstile money" while under the actual scenario of "transfer £5 from your bank and then watch as much as you like even if you've no intention whatsoever of having a bet" !!

Edited by arthur cross

I don't care if it's streamed or not and I don't care how much it costs, nothing beats a race night at Lynn at the mo. The best reserves in the league. The best heat leaders and the most up and coming 'second strings'. They don't always make it easy for themselves but they always give it everything and it's always entertaining. I think if you are a fan you support your team through thick and thin. Many people complain about the FTR and the new format but in my opinion it's just made the racing more exciting as racers of equal averages are racing together. Appears some fans only sing when they are winning as they say

• Like 1